55 West

Tim3167

I was in this building last week. Went up to the 11th floor. The views are beautiful and those on higher floors are going to be great! I was extremely impressed with the overall construction quality so far. They say the first 10 or so floors should have glass by the end of May.

It is filling in that gap on the Lake Eola side perfectly! Nice updates all around. I continue to be impressed by the architectural variety of the projects u/c downtown. No two projects resemble each other.

thats very much so true

I cant wait to see them all go live

however, im not going to lie, that AT&T building is about as attractive as a Mexican port-a-pottie

The library ain't the greatest thing either.

You'll start up a pretty hefty debate with that one. People are entitled to their opinions, but from a completely objective point of view, at least the library is a well-executed example of Brutalism, which was a legit. architectural movement. The AT&T building...is just a mound of cheap, uninspired crap.

at least the library is a well-executed example of Brutalism, which was a legit. architectural movement.

Thanks for the info. My son asked me this weekend why it looked like that and I wasn't sure if that was the look they were going for or if they were just cheap.

This is a 55W thread, but I want to add one thing...

Didn't one of the Planet of the Apes movies use a lot of Brutalism to make it look futuristic? I don't have a copy to reference, so I'm going completely on memory.

it was the one that took place right when the Ape revolution ocurred. the third movie I think? what a depressing film. Roddy McDowell as Caesar, right?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Not sure of which movie though. Escape from, Journey to, etc.

Sorry to keep off-topic... but I'm ALWAYS happy to answer Planet of the Apes Trivia! ^_^

The movie in question is Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, the 4th movie in the series. Most of the scenes took place at the Century City Mall, which was just built, but was not yet being used. A good picture of it is here:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/ImagePages/Cen...wersPhoto.shtml

Other brutalism structures used in the film were actually buildings on the UC Irvine campus.

Back to 55W....