55 West

Tim3167

This is the side view and I agree it is not to bad... but the north side view worries me. Even the side view is nearly as wide as Suntrust...

Jeeeezuss! What worries me is all the whiners on this forum. It's too wide, it's too short, its too this its too that. Great Scott! It used to be two stories of abandoned shops and eateries and some tumbleweed I think. Now it's about to be 32 stories of residents, wining & dining options; a vertual hub of urban life. And people are worried about how it looks next to the Suntrust building. Take an anti-depresant, PLEASE!!!

Jeeeezuss! What worries me is all the whiners on this forum. It's too wide, it's too short, its too this its too that. Great Scott! It used to be two stories of abandoned shops and eateries and some tumbleweed I think. Now it's about to be 32 stories of residents, wining & dining options; a vertual hub of urban life. And people are worried about how it looks next to the Suntrust building. Take an anti-depresant, PLEASE!!!

I think I'm going to have to join cwetteland in his corner on this one.

Me personally, I can't wait till 55W dominates this corner of downtown-- and it will, b/c this thing is wider than Suntrust (E-W). this thing will be very large. and large isn't necessarily bad. Just like some of Chicago's older bldgs. which were fat and squat, I say bring it on, b/c I personally am tired of Suntrust being ORL's "symbol" all these years. The Cthse made a push, but it's on the other side of DT.

It doesn't look too terribly wide from this angle:

2001_0102_032504AA.jpg

Keep in mind that the parking garage structure is not visible in this shot and will emerge from the left side of the building with a footprint nearly equal to that of the residential portion of 55 West. That's what's really going to make the building look awkward from the north. You'll have to use your imagination a little, but this is roughly what 55 West's profile will look like looking to the east:

55westprofilexw0.jpg

I think I'm going to have to join cwetteland in his corner on this one.

Me personally, I can't wait till 55W dominates this corner of downtown-- and it will, b/c this thing is wider than Suntrust (E-W). this thing will be very large. and large isn't necessarily bad. Just like some of Chicago's older bldgs. which were fat and squat, I say bring it on, b/c I personally am tired of Suntrust being ORL's "symbol" all these years. The Cthse made a push, but it's on the other side of DT.

I hear you but I think the location on Church street makes this building a center piece of Down Town O-Town and it is not the location where I want short and squat. If 55W was built in uptown I wouldn't complain. My feelings are not hurt.... but we are here to discuss our opinions in a forum. Feel free to disagree with me but remember that the beauty of this forum is it's active nature. If you want to see what total agreement looks like visit the St Pete and Tampa forum... it is pretty boring... :)

I looks very similar to the Florida Hotel at the Florida Mall, but of course it will be taller and have a different decoration at the top.

I can see a little of 55W from the other side of Lake Eola by the flagpoles (but I'm looking for it) and it will be easily visible from Lake Eola in about 2 to 3 floors.

I hear you but I think the location on Church street makes this building a center piece of Down Town O-Town and it is not the location where I want short and squat. If 55W was built in uptown I wouldn't complain. My feelings are not hurt.... but we are here to discuss our opinions in a forum. Feel free to disagree with me but remember that the beauty of this forum is it's active nature. If you want to see what total agreement looks like visit the St Pete and Tampa forum... it is pretty boring... :)

I think you meant to respond to cwetteland's post, not mine, b/c I don't think I ever challenged anyone's right to have a differing opinion like you are alluding to.

My agreement with cwetteland deals mainly with the notion that I like this bldg. and want to see it built.

Exactly what are you worried about with regards to us "whiners" anyway?

Maybe our "whining" will cause them to stop the project and demolish what they've built so far?

Personally, I liked what was there before, although it could have been managed and marketed better.

I just felt that what was there was of a more appropriate scale for that section of that particular block.

Disagree all you want, that's what these discussion forums exist for.

At any rate, your reply was somewhat of an over reaction to what is nothing more than someone else's opinion.

Maybe YOU should consider medication...

I gotta admit, Exchange was cool. parking deck leading right into where Howl was and all; it was a fun place. brick too. when I first saw 55W, I thought they were just going to build it on top of the Exchange Parking deck. I couldn't believe it when they said they were going to demo that whole complex, b/c it was so "new" and in decent repair.

Like I said a few monthes ago - this building is a fat chick blocking the view. I would much rather have this thing on the south shore of Eola near the Paramount.

Absolutely. Or north of Colonial Drive, even.

On a more positive note... what diminished of the skyline view heading south on I-4 because of 55 W., should be compensated by what we will gain in that regard with The Vue, DynaTech and hopefully TT and Capital Plaza lll etc. et al.

I really think this will look really cool when completed.

As much as most people don't like the roof decoration, I think it is going to look good when finished and be very original for this area. In that same breath, the view of this building from the north is going to be very bland. But how many buildings in Orlando look good from every aspect?

i dont know about u guys, but I think this thing will look great

and add a huge element to orlando

hmmm seems interesting how everyone gets excited about projects going up, but at the same time the boo-birds come flocking out to diss on whatever is going up

oh well

lets get the arena up and make church street one hoping place

hmmm seems interesting how everyone gets excited about projects going up, but at the same time the boo-birds come flocking out to diss on whatever is going up

As one of the "flocking boo-birds" I must say that... we don't be dissin on nuthin, cuz... we just be axin if it gwan be lookin good when it be finished, dat's all, fo shizzle.

<_<

As much as most people don't like the roof decoration, I think it is going to look good when finished and be very original for this area. In that same breath, the view of this building from the north is going to be very bland. But how many buildings in Orlando look good from every aspect?

Hell, I think the "roof decoration" is the best looking part of the entire building. Thank God they're not chopping it off flat across the top like the Solaire.

As one of the "flocking boo-birds" I must say that... we don't be dissin on nuthin, cuz... we just be axin if it gwan be lookin good when it be finished, dat's all, fo shizzle.

<_<

well said soul brotha

I laughed, and therefor milldy retract my previous statement

but hey, to each his own,

personally I think 55 west is pretty "kickin"

which as defined by urbandictionary.com means "Beyond gnarly. Right above nifty-keen. The epitome of cool. If someone calls you a kickin' dude/dudette, cherish it."