Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Without a major tenant, I doubt they would build spec in this economy though. It is a lovely thought, but unless a sufficient corporation steps forward to offer occupancy, don't expect much anytime soon.

Edit: Citylife, you have a terrible habit of posting something and then editing it to completely change the content. My reply was directed toward your initial post regarding "what you hear" about the project possibly starting sometime soon and where the developer isn't getting financing from - the bank.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I think the house could be refurbished and preserved adding much more character and uniqueness to the area (and still serve the purpose of high-level condos) much better than another run-of-the-mill brick building. With all the talk about greenville having torn down it's old buildings, I would like to have seen this one saved.

Sure, but what are the other possibilities here? We can save the house, and it becomes maybe 4 units? I don't know how big it is... OR, we can demolish the house, gain increased density and more people living downtown. So, since the house offers very little in terms of architectural significance, you must choose from more density, or less, IMO.

Sure, but what are the other possibilities here? We can save the house, and it becomes maybe 4 units? I don't know how big it is... OR, we can demolish the house, gain increased density and more people living downtown. So, since the house offers very little in terms of architectural significance, you must choose from more density, or less, IMO.
While this may be rare, sometimes we are actually able to build something better than a previous structure utilizing the same property. Perhaps if some historic value could be discovered, the house may be justly preserved. If not, this new building will certainly be an improvement, in my opinion. I am not opposed to preserving older structures for their historic value in most cases. In this case, it is both the design and the increased density that make it an improvement for that location.

While there are few things better than a wonderful old building that has been preserved and maintained, I think that some people feel that all old buildings should be saved. An old building means little if it neither adds value to the surrounding area nor provides significant architecture. In the case of the blue house on McBee, it is silly to save it simply because it is old. I really like the proposed development that will take its place, as it looks good and will add more people to our urban core.

Without a major tenant, I doubt they would build spec in this economy though. It is a lovely thought, but unless a sufficient corporation steps forward to offer occupancy, don't expect much anytime soon.

Edit: Citylife, you have a terrible habit of posting something and then editing it to completely change the content. My reply was directed toward your initial post regarding "what you hear" about the project possibly starting sometime soon and where the developer isn't getting financing from - the bank.

Oh, sorry about that. One of the possibilities that has been thrown around with Washington Square is that the hotel could get built before the office building. The hotel has gained a lot of interest from several national chains from what i've heard.

I know we talked a lot about what hotels we would like to see downtown, and which one might occupy the old City Hall Plaza site back before it was announced. Now that we know a Courtyard by Marriott will be coming on the scene to join a Hyatt Regency, Westin, Hampton Inn & Suites, and a Holiday Inn Express, what do y'all envision at Washington Square?

I know we talked a lot about what hotels we would like to see downtown, and which one might occupy the old City Hall Plaza site back before it was announced. Now that we know a Courtyard by Marriott will be coming on the scene to join a Hyatt Regency, Westin, Hampton Inn & Suites, and a Holiday Inn Express, what do y'all envision at Washington Square?

Doubletree or Embassy Suites perhaps?

It's wishful thinking, but a Loews would be a real coup.

Doubletree or Embassy Suites perhaps?

It's wishful thinking, but a Loews would be a real coup.

I agree. Doubletree or Embassy Suites seem to be the type of hotel we can expect. Something like Wyndham or even Omni is also doable, I think.

Loews would be a coup for sure. I would love that. They seem to be in larger cities or resort areas. Here are their current locations in the US:

Annapolis

Atlanta

Denver

Lake Las Vegas

Miami Beach

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Orlando

Philadelphia

San Diego

Santa Monica

St. Pete Beach

Tucson

Washington, DC

Of the above, Annapolis stands out to me as a "WTF?" choice when compared to the others, as it is neither a large city nor a resort. Greenville would obviously be an outlier too, but that doesn't mean that we can't pull it off. ;) It would be interesting to know what their selection criteria are (especially if Annapolis made the cut).

I'm sure you know this, but Annapolis is something like the Charleston of Maryland, a historic "boutique city." So it isn't too surprising that they have one, especially being that DC, which is in such close proximity, has one. I also know it's a waterfront city, and I'm willing to bet that it has a high per capita/household income too. I know there are other cities out there that meet or exceed all of these that don't have a Loews, but perhaps there are plans to expand their brand in the near future. This is just my non-expert opinion. :)

I am not so much a stickler for saving any old building, I mainly just think this is a really cool old house, that is also quite large, and could be readapted for many purposes. But as for density, what are we talking about with the proposed building; 10, 15, 20 people? I don't know, I'm just not crazy about it. I also think a big brick building might be out of place here.

Maybe it was construction for Dunkin Donuts. :dontknow: Interesting how the Greenville Journal just said a few weeks ago we should hear some news regarding Washington Square soon. Hopefully it's not bad news.

No - not at all. Downtown Alive was moved to the Hyatt Plaza last year because demolition work was to begin for the Main at Washington project. The fact that they've moved it back to Piazza Bergamo this year tells me that there's not going to be any demolition work any time soon.

Oh, sorry about that. One of the possibilities that has been thrown around with Washington Square is that the hotel could get built before the office building. The hotel has gained a lot of interest from several national chains from what i've heard.
That would certainly be great and would undoubtedly enhance Greenville's profile for landing prospective large-scale events in the future. The location is not bad, nor is the size. With that said, I am extremely hesitant to become excited over rumors of possible tenants being secured at this point so that construction could begin soon. Why? The answer is easy; the current state of the economy along with the short-term economic outlook. Even a strong economy typically requires steady demand for new rooms before such a hotel is necessarily built.

I am not so much a stickler for saving any old building, I mainly just think this is a really cool old house, that is also quite large, and could be readapted for many purposes. But as for density, what are we talking about with the proposed building; 10, 15, 20 people? I don't know, I'm just not crazy about it. I also think a big brick building might be out of place here.

How is a big brick building here out of place and the big brick poinsett club a block of way not?

An old building means little if it neither adds value to the surrounding area nor provides significant architecture. In the case of the blue house on McBee, it is silly to save it simply because it is old.

This is the kind of mindset that keeps on getting us in trouble. It is because of this line of thought that we look at old pictures of our city and notice all the great buildings that no longer exist and ask "Why?". Because someone along the way decided that building at the time was irrelevant and useless, and all we are left with is regret.

This is the kind of mindset that keeps on getting us in trouble. It is because of this line of thought that we look at old pictures of our city and notice all the great buildings that no longer exist and ask "Why?". Because someone along the way decided that building at the time was irrelevant and useless, and all we are left with is regret.

Not all buildings are worth saving, though. Would you disagree?

I would normally agree with you but not in this case.

I looked inside this house about a year ago and it has had a hard life.

It was converted to furniture store at one time (at that time the back of the house was removed for a warehouse addition).

Then it was a costume store for a while.

Some where along the way the house caught on fire and the interior was gutted (the warehouse was removed).

Then they started to convert the house into apartments, but only the top floor was finished.

The main level has never been rebuilt and there is nothing remaining of the original interior. :(

I'm not saying that we haven't made mistakes in the past (e.g., the old city hall that was torn down), but there are many, many more instances where we have torn down an old building and it was the right move. Look at any old picture, and for every 1 building you wish they had kept you will find at least 5 or 6 that offered nothing beneficial. As I said before, an old building that is well built and properly restored is a wonderful asset, but there is no need to keep an old building around simply because it is old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got to check out the Journal this week though I do not have my own copy. A good article about the Childrens museum. It states that it is on schedule to open this Summer and that it will feature 18 exhibits inside with additional stuff outside. Also provides some good info about the lady who has been overseeing the development of the museum and really focuses on her dedication to a passion for this project. Sounds like it will be a great addition the the area and DT!

Also, one of the TBAs stated that a report on the quality of life for Gville is due out soon, and that it will be lower than many people would think. Apparently, Gville has lost ground quickly over the past few years on a national scale. :dontknow:

there is a full business and sports sections this week with a story on the latest South Financial doings, tbas, and inside business...

John, it would be great if the TBAs could be kept up-to-date each Thursday or Friday on the Journal Watchdog web site. That site is the only way for those of us who live out of town to stay connected with rumors and goings-on reported in The Journal. Thanks. :)

Archived