Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

TBA:

* Area leaders are wondering what will happen to 3.5 acres in the North End of DT that is part of Fred Collins' estate. Located at Stone and N Main, it is one of the largest chunks of land in all of DT.

* California based ResMed seem enamored with Gville. The sleeping aid giant just opened a East Coast distribution center here, but is talking about bringing manufacuring jobs as well. Some say it could be a major player in a couple of years.

* Landscaping in the North End should start soon.

* Feds want to complete purchase of land by June on Church & North streets

Artilce on Shoeless Joe move, DT parking, BSA addding 75 jobs

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* California based ResMed seem enamored with Gville. The sleeping aid giant just opened a East Coast distribution center here, but is talking about bringing manufacuring jobs as well. Some say it could be a major player in a couple of years.

Love the use of "enamored". Could this be the pharmaceutical company that there has been buzz about?

TBA:

* Area leaders are wondering what will happen to 3.5 acres in the North End of DT that is part of Fred Collins' estate. Located at Stone and N Main, it is one of the largest chunks of land in all of DT.

I am excited to see this. This site has huge poential. If developed correctly, it could help 'extend' DT to Stone Ave. and be a catalyst for Stone to continue it's current (but somewhat slow) transformation. It will probably be in Probate for awhile , but hopefully (fingers crossed) a major mixed use (residential/retail/office) project will go there. I hope the heirs want to sell.

I would like to see a three or more story residential building as part of the redevelopment of the site.

I am excited to see this. This site has huge poential. If developed correctly, it could help 'extend' DT to Stone Ave. and be a catalyst for Stone to continue it's current (but somewhat slow) transformation. It will probably be in Probate for awhile , but hopefully (fingers crossed) a major mixed use (residential/retail/office) project will go there. I hope the heirs want to sell.

I would like to see a three or more story residential building as part of the redevelopment of the site.

That sight is actually more like 9 acres. It is held in the name of various companies.

This Week:

Articles:

Townes Ceremony

Baseball Opener

McBee Station

County RR line purchase deal off

Piazza Bergamo

Distribution Companies looking at upstate for centers

TBA:

** Another grocery chain is apparently looking at DT. Piggly Wiggly is also interested. {Publix already headed to McBee}

** Look for a bike rental place to show up DT that will cater to out-of-towners who want to use the bike lanes here.

** Mayor Knox White has floated the idea of an independent panel looking at settling parking violations appeals

** The long-awaited subdivision at Mulberry and Pinckney in DT should start by May.

** Look for construction of the mixed-use portion of Pendleton West to start soon.

** Renovations appear to have started at the former Carpenter Brothers on Main St. Black tarp has been stretched across the windows.

** The city is seeking $1.75mm in Federal funds to renovate Carolina Point Parkway, which runs in front of the future The South FG campus

** $50mm is rumored to be the private side of an investment in 12 acres of the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood.

** The former Bell Furniture in the Green Ave. area may be torn down as part of the neighborhood's revitialization. Anything from a park to a new building are being considered.

** Discussions are underway about what kind of road infrastructure is needed to support Verdae.

Tidbits:

# City annexed 7.7 acres on Roper Mountain Rd.

# City agreed to use $1.8 mm in federal funds to help revitalize several neighborhoods inside the city.

# Property owners requesting annexation now have a choice of how and when they want to be rezoned. Now they have the option of waiting 10 days after annexation.

# The building at 802 S. Main will get to keep 1.8 feet of it's wall that encroached onto a city sidewalk. The city agreed to hasten the deal to redevelop the building owned by Charlotte developer Barwick & Associates.

#Upstate Alliance got a seat at the largest biotech convention in the world this week. 25 delegates from SC will attend the Chicago conference.

#The National League of cities considers Greenville, Anderson and Spartanburg to each individually be "spread cities". The term comes from a new report that is trying to redefine cities. These are characterized by low densities, few households with children, and few immigrant residents. Charleston was the only SC city considered a boomtown, which is characterized by rapid population growth, newer housing stock, wealthier residents and families with children.

** Another grocery chain is apparently looking at DT. Piggly Wiggly is also interested. {Publix already headed to McBee}

Where in the downtown area could you put one? Academy Street, the West End and North End (Buncombe and Rutherford Streets) are logical places that currenty do not have a supermarket.

** Discussions are underway about what kind of road infrastructure is needed to support Verdae.

Would making Verdae a special tax district help generate funding for building and improving some roads?

This Week:

Articles:

Townes Ceremony

Baseball Opener

McBee Station

County RR line purchase deal off

Piazza Bergamo

Distribution Companies looking at upstate for centers

Why don't they post their stuff on-line? I find it utterly annoying that they don't. Not even for a week. It's not like there isn't a model for doing this and making it run in the black, so I'm not buying an argument that they'd be giving away their content or diluting value for their print advertisers.

I agree with Fiddlestix. Being from the area but not living in the area, it's frustrating not having access to all the info that is getting discussed on this board. I really appreciate the folks who take the time to summarize. :thumbsup:

If anyone from the Journal (Anderson, G'ville and/or Spartanburg) is listening... How about a downloadable PDF online? It would take about 10 minutes to convert and post and your advertisers might get a much broader distribution. It certainly couldn't hurt. It's a shame to make such good info so hard to get.

Our city will lose about 20 years of progressiveness if Piggly Wiggly moves downtown. No thanks.

I disagree. Just because this grocery store chain is sometimes used as a stereotype for the poor southern way of life dosen't mean it would'nt be a viable addition to DT. After all it is a SC based company.

Urban Target I could handle if it were done properly. Urban Wal-Mart? That is an oxymoron, as another poster pointed out before.

I think so too, but even Wal-Mart is adapting as far as urban trends go.

The target in midtown Charlotte will be nicely done (see attachment) and will be stacked atop another store.

Is the aversion to a DT Piggly Wiggly due to the name or the quality of the store? I'm guessing the former.

post-1529-1144991150_thumb.jpg

Is the aversion to a DT Piggly Wiggly due to the name or the quality of the store? I'm guessing the former.

This will be my last post regarding PW's, I promise but have any of you actually been to a Pig that was'nt in Pelzer or Piedmont? They're not bad at all. The one on Meeting St. in Charleston and the one on Folly Beach, both newer stores are comparable to Harris Teeter or Bi-Lo. Most companies progress and are always trying to improve their product. If they wanted to open a store DT, I don't see there being much opposition.

Archived