Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I think it's a wonderful idea that is hip and new age. This Hookah lounge could be an exclusive lounge that only allows smoking with herbs.

The tobacco itself isn't the problem as they do tend to use the finest pure tobacco and not the crap that cigarette companies claim as "real" tobacco. There are studies that show there are health risks involved with the tobacco but, moreso, that the charcoal used in hookahs is a serious health risk.

From Hookah - Wikipedia:

...the quick-lighting charcoal used by many hookah smokers may be "the biggest hazard for hookah users" because it produces greater levels of carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, and other dangerous substances than all-natural, non-additive charcoal. The quick-lighting charcoal is produced by mixing powdered-charcoal with various chemicals such as potassium nitrate, that allow it to be quickly and easily ignited. Ignition of a quicklight coal normally results in the emission of sparks.

The least they could do is make sure the hookah lounge a 21 and over club just like bars that allow smoking are. Yes that would destroy their business since they cater to the "hip" university students.

Looks like there will be a new restaurant site near the Square soon. The people who bought the EJ Ball Building recently are asking permission from the city to make some changes to the building. They will put in an above ground outdoor dining area. The restaurant will have around 50 indoor and outdoor seatings. No word on what restaurant will go in there. I know La Huerta had considered the former Cafe Santa Fe location a further down the street. Maybe they would consider this. I'd still like to see a La Huerta location near the downtown area. Apparently the name of the building will also be changed to the Growth Group Plaza. There's a picture of the rendering in today's Northwest Arkansas Times .

Looks like there will be a new restaurant site near the Square soon. The people who bought the EJ Ball Building recently are asking permission from the city to make some changes to the building. They will put in an above ground outdoor dining area. The restaurant will have around 50 indoor and outdoor seatings. No word on what restaurant will go in there. I know La Huerta had considered the former Cafe Santa Fe location a further down the street. Maybe they would consider this. I'd still like to see a La Huerta location near the downtown area. Apparently the name of the building will also be changed to the Growth Group Plaza. There's a picture of the rendering in today's Northwest Arkansas Times .

Yeah, I saw the rendering a few months ago, and if they have not changed them too much, it will be a pretty big change. Growth Group currently has their office on Poplar street just off of Gregg. They are going to be raising the rent for the buildings current tenants as well.

There is an interesting article about the Fayetteville square in the Times this morning. It is basically a breif history of downtown and how it has developed over the past 180 or so years. It has had quite a few problems over time but it is really going strong today.

Here is the article: History of Downtown Fayetteville

There is an interesting article about the Fayetteville square in the Times this morning. It is basically a breif history of downtown and how it has developed over the past 180 or so years. It has had quite a few problems over time but it is really going strong today.

Here is the article: History of Downtown Fayetteville

Great article. I love this kind of stuff.

Perhaps I need to direct this more to itk. But does anyone know when the work on Gregg is going to actually start? Here's something else I had gotten the impression was going to be going a while back ago. Someone said it has more to do with the state because it's a state highway. I had heard last year that there was a lack of funds and that's why not much was done. But I guess I was under the impression that funds were available for it but I haven't seen anything going on for a long time now.

Perhaps I need to direct this more to itk. But does anyone know when the work on Gregg is going to actually start? Here's something else I had gotten the impression was going to be going a while back ago. Someone said it has more to do with the state because it's a state highway. I had heard last year that there was a lack of funds and that's why not much was done. But I guess I was under the impression that funds were available for it but I haven't seen anything going on for a long time now.

The bids for that project last month were all rejected because they were too high. Big surprise (this wasn't reported by the media). So I think AHTD will re-evaluate that and perhaps try again this fall.

I've been wanting to see that stretch widened for years... guess we'll just have to wait some more, unfortunately.

The bids for that project last month were all rejected because they were too high. Big surprise (this wasn't reported by the media). So I think AHTD will re-evaluate that and perhaps try again this fall.

I've been wanting to see that stretch widened for years... guess we'll just have to wait some more, unfortunately.

I see, thanks for letting me know. I wonder why no one bothered to mention that in the media. At least I know now.

An article in todays paper said the work will begin once the city of Fayetteville pays the extra funds. They gave the rise in construction costs as their reason. The city said they would do this if the state helps pay for Township upgrades after the widening of Gregg.

Apparently, this all happened in Rogers not to long ago as well.

An article in todays paper said the work will begin once the city of Fayetteville pays the extra funds. They gave the rise in construction costs as their reason. The city said they would do this if the state helps pay for Township upgrades after the widening of Gregg.

Yeah seeing Township widened will be nice too. But I'm assuming they'll only do the section between Gregg and College. That's a really sharp grade east of College. I have my doubts that section will ever be widened anytime soon. Looks like the city will also seek restitution on Rupple. In case someone hasn't heard about that one. The city and developers agreed to share costs on widening an area of Rupple. At first they told the city the road was made 6 inches too narrow. But then it came out that the road was actually 5 feet too narrow. Talk about a big mistake there.

It says construction won't occur until Fayetteville secures the extra funds. That doesn't mean construction will happen tomorrow, it still has to be let to contract.

I remember Township between Gregg and College always being horrible (Sunbridge helped a little). I learned to avoid it over the years, so I don't think I've been on it during rush hour lately-- I'm assuming it's still as bad as always?

It says construction won't occur until Fayetteville secures the extra funds. That doesn't mean construction will happen tomorrow, it still has to be let to contract.

I remember Township between Gregg and College always being horrible (Sunbridge helped a little). I learned to avoid it over the years, so I don't think I've been on it during rush hour lately-- I'm assuming it's still as bad as always?

Yeah it's pretty bad. The bad thing is I got used to using it to avoid traffic congestion on College years ago. Now I don't think it helps a whole lot. The worst part is the people making left hand turns. Going north there's always people trying to make a left hand turn at Drake. Going south doesn't seem quite so bad but there are a lot of people turning left at the big Lindsey apartment complex over there.

I drove by the edge of the Wellspring development. I saw a sign but not really any good places to pull over to take a shot of it. There wasn't any construction going on, at least over in the area I saw so maybe I'll try to go back and take some pics when more is going on. I saw one interesting subdivision when I was driving around on the west side of Fayetteville. I think it might have been on either the north end of Salem or Rupple. Anyway on one side was the housing development. Instead of the houses being right on the street, there was a curb a small grass median then another small road that ran parallel to the street. I guess keeping the through traffic a bit away from the subdivision. It almost seemed like a seperate street 'grid' built into the city street grid already there. I thought it was an interesting idea. You still seem to have connectivity but also have things a bit off from the main street traffic that so many people don't want near their houses.

Nice pics. A blue crystal clear day too.

Interesting designs on the house, rather odd. I really like the balconies on the 2nd floor. I would like to know the floor plan lay-out. Where is the kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc.

Thanks, yeah it was clear this morning, a few more clouds now. To be honest I'm not real positive on the layout. I've seen a little on a link but I don't think they had any layouts. A lot of developers haven't been very good on posting much info like that on a website. A few are getting better about it. If I find anything I'll post it for you.

I drove by the edge of the Wellspring development. I saw a sign but not really any good places to pull over to take a shot of it. There wasn't any construction going on, at least over in the area I saw so maybe I'll try to go back and take some pics when more is going on. I saw one interesting subdivision when I was driving around on the west side of Fayetteville. I think it might have been on either the north end of Salem or Rupple. Anyway on one side was the housing development. Instead of the houses being right on the street, there was a curb a small grass median then another small road that ran parallel to the street. I guess keeping the through traffic a bit away from the subdivision. It almost seemed like a seperate street 'grid' built into the city street grid already there. I thought it was an interesting idea. You still seem to have connectivity but also have things a bit off from the main street traffic that so many people don't want near their houses.

I think these smaller streets that you are talking about are the actual driveways from Rupple Row. They are using a New Urbanism principle by having the garages and accesses in the back of the homes. At least that is my guess for now. :D

You can get the pictures of Wellspring from the Topic on it. Sorry Mith, I am not the best protographer. Here is a direct link: Wellspring Pics Check out post #32

I think these smaller streets that you are talking about are the actual driveways from Rupple Row. They are using a New Urbanism principle by having the garages and accesses in the back of the homes. At least that is my guess for now. :D

You can get the pictures of Wellspring from the Topic on it. Sorry Mith, I am not the best protographer. Here is a direct link: Wellspring Pics Check out post #32

Thanks, I had to admit this but I forgot there was a Wellspring topic already exisitng. :blush: I guess I thought we had just posted the info in a more general Fayetteville topic. I do remember the pics you posted now. No need for me to repost that then. :D

That's cool. Will add Density.

Yeah I think it's pretty cool too. Ironically as I am posting all of this there is a local woman on tv who appears to be slamming new urbanism and such that's going on here in Fayetteville. :lol:

Yeah I think it's pretty cool too. Ironically as I am posting all of this there is a local woman on tv who appears to be slamming new urbanism and such that's going on here in Fayetteville. :lol:

Well, whoever it is that is slamming NU needs to get used to this kind of development. There are many of them in progress just in Fayetteville. Ruskin Heights, Wellspring, Rupple Row, Park West, Southpass and probably others that I am forgetting. Mountain Ranch may be one as well.

Well, whoever it is that is slamming NU needs to get used to this kind of development. There are many of them in progress just in Fayetteville. Ruskin Heights, Wellspring, Rupple Row, Park West, Southpass and probably others that I am forgetting. Mountain Ranch may be one as well.

I'm still slowly trying to figure out where she's coming from. I think she's talking more about trying to preserve all the historic buildings around downtown. But she really doesn't seem to care for any of the developments going on along Dickson right now. I think she's trying to get some areas of downtown and maybe even Dickson in a historical district. But you have to have a certain percentage of historical buildings. I guess the more newer buildings and developments that come along this decreases the chances of being able to have enough historical buildings to create a district especially along Dickson. I do agree on trying to save more of the historical buildings but I just don't think you can freeze time and keep Dickson the way it is right now. It was developments that in a way 'saved' Dickson in the first place. Dickson wasn't the greatest place to go before the Walton Arts Center.

I'm still slowly trying to figure out where she's coming from. I think she's talking more about trying to preserve all the historic buildings around downtown. But she really doesn't seem to care for any of the developments going on along Dickson right now. I think she's trying to get some areas of downtown and maybe even Dickson in a historical district. But you have to have a certain percentage of historical buildings. I guess the more newer buildings and developments that come along this decreases the chances of being able to have enough historical buildings to create a district especially along Dickson. I do agree on trying to save more of the historical buildings but I just don't think you can freeze time and keep Dickson the way it is right now. It was developments that in a way 'saved' Dickson in the first place. Dickson wasn't the greatest place to go before the Walton Arts Center.

I think that I could guess who this lady is...I would have to say Paula Marinoni. She is always trying to save older building whether they are historical or just piles of brick