Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Wow, lots of good news.

I'm particularly happy with Swepco not building those ugly power lines, Dickson will look 100 times better without them.

No, no, you misunderstand. They are simply not going to try to proceed without a public hearing first. It very well still could happen unfortunately. But this way everyone in the city can complain about it. But perhpas this will help spur some sort of solution. Find some way to try to move them underground. Not getting my hopes up yet though.

No, no, you misunderstand. They are simply not going to try to proceed without a public hearing first. It very well still could happen unfortunately. But this way everyone in the city can complain about it. But perhpas this will help spur some sort of solution. Find some way to try to move them underground. Not getting my hopes up yet though.

Oh I see now. Hopefully enough complaints will burry this idea.

Looks like some additions were made to the City Plan 2025. I had thought this was already included, but basically they mentioned the goal of attracting more affordable housing. One thing I found interesting. In 2000 there were 280 homes sold under $90,000. In 2005 there was only 60. There is concern that many first time home owners are having to buy houses elsewhere in NWA even though they want to live in Fayetteville because it's too difficult for them to find something. City officials have mentioned that many residents don't feel the city is doing enough to encourage affordable houses. There is talk of dropping impact fees but city officials have also stated that it's not impact fees that caused the increase in home prices but private market forces. While I do think it is possible for the city to try to make it more attractive for developers to also build cheaper homes they can't force them to. I also have my doubts whether everyone will be happy in the long run. Even building on smaller lots and waiving impact fees I just don't see a lot of homes for sale under $100,000. Fayetteville is a place many people want to live and that demand is going to keep prices up. But it would be nice to see more selection under $200,000 and even under $150,000.

I just got back from Walnut Ridge Subdivision in west Fayetteville just inside the Farmington City Limits. You have to enter Farmington to get to it but it is in the Fayetteville City Limits but Farmington Schools.

The development will range from 135,000-160,000

1187 Square Feet- 1493 Square Feet

All homes will be of a Cottage style. homes will have a very nice front porch. The yards will be fully sodded and landscaped. Walnut Crossing is a 60 acre subdivision located 1.5 miles from the hyw. 62 exit of I-540. The subdivision will have a five acre park, and walking trails throughout the development.

http://www.rauschcolemanhomes.com/

Very nice smaller development. They will have a POA that maintains lawn maintenance for the whole subdivision for $30 a month.

Very nice

Looks like some additions were made to the City Plan 2025. I had thought this was already included, but basically they mentioned the goal of attracting more affordable housing. One thing I found interesting. In 2000 there were 280 homes sold under $90,000. In 2005 there was only 60. There is concern that many first time home owners are having to buy houses elsewhere in NWA even though they want to live in Fayetteville because it's too difficult for them to find something. City officials have mentioned that many residents don't feel the city is doing enough to encourage affordable houses. There is talk of dropping impact fees but city officials have also stated that it's not impact fees that caused the increase in home prices but private market forces. While I do think it is possible for the city to try to make it more attractive for developers to also build cheaper homes they can't force them to. I also have my doubts whether everyone will be happy in the long run. Even building on smaller lots and waiving impact fees I just don't see a lot of homes for sale under $100,000. Fayetteville is a place many people want to live and that demand is going to keep prices up. But it would be nice to see more selection under $200,000 and even under $150,000.

The article touches on what I have been saying earlier-- impact fees aren't the primary reason for lack of affordable housing in Fayetteville... however, the article failed to emphasize I think one of the main reasons-- that '...the Planning Commission and Planning Department are not fond of approving smaller lots and smaller houses that make affordability more possible. ' They probably could use more spine; or, more nicely put, could use more teeth with which to justify some of their decisions to allow higher density and/or smaller/lower-priced houses.

I just got back from Walnut Ridge Subdivision in west Fayetteville just inside the Farmington City Limits. You have to enter Farmington to get to it but it is in the Fayetteville City Limits but Farmington Schools.

All homes will be of a Cottage style. homes will have a very nice front porch. The yards will be fully sodded and landscaped. Walnut Crossing is a 60 acre subdivision located 1.5 miles from the hyw. 62 exit of I-540. The subdivision will have a five acre park, and walking trails throughout the development.

Very nice smaller development. They will have a POA that maintains lawn maintenance for the whole subdivision for $30 a month.

Very nice

Is this going to be near the Southpass development?

The article touches on what I have been saying earlier-- impact fees aren't the primary reason for lack of affordable housing in Fayetteville... however, the article failed to emphasize I think one of the main reasons-- that '...the Planning Commission and Planning Department are not fond of approving smaller lots and smaller houses that make affordability more possible. ' They probably could use more spine; or, more nicely put, could use more teeth with which to justify some of their decisions to allow higher density and/or smaller/lower-priced houses.

Yeah I do agree, I think for a lot of people 'density' is a dirty word. At the City Plan 2025 meetings Dover-Kohl showed a lot of high density neighborhoods that looked quite nice. Just trying to show people that more density doesn't mean bad. But I think despite all of this there are still members of the city that just don't agree with that. I think some of them want it to continue to feel more like a small town and I don't think density fits into their model of that.

OK, here are some numbers for percent over 25 with a Bachelor's for Arkansas communities and some in the Southeast for comparison, per census.gov:

Arkansas 16.7%

---------------------------------

Fayetteville 41.2

Conway 36.0

Little Rock 35.5

Jonesboro 26.6

North LR 22.0

Rogers 21.1

Ft Smith 18.6

Springdale 17.7

Hot Springs 16.6

Texarkana 14.7

---------------------------------

Memphis 20.9

Nashville 29.7

New Orleans 25.8

Shreveport 22.2

Tulsa 28.3

OKC 24.0

Jackson 22.1

Birmingham 18.5

Dallas 27.7

Houston 27.0

Austin 40.4

Now this list is really just of core cities. If you start hitting the really nice 'burbs you come up with numbers like 54% in Plano.

Some college towns are very high - College Station is 58.1%, Athens 40%, Auburn 56%, etc but some like Knoxville and Tuscaloosa are more modest - 25-30%.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

These numbers are 5 years old, so there probably has been some modest shift in all of NWA due to growth, I would wager. Still, pretty impressive that Arkansas sizes up favorably in many ways to other regional metros.

Here's something that Aporkalypse posted in the main Arkansas forum. Johnny brought this to our attention. Anyway I thought people here in the NWA forum might like to see this as well. Nice to see Fayetteville being comparable to other cities.

Very nice

The developer's realtor dropped by my office yesterday and gave us some info packets on the subdivision. It looks like a nice development w/ somewhat affordable housing. He also said that it is in the Fayetteville school district, which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I read in today's paper that Fayetteville is planning on opening a new high school by 2011.

The schoolboard still has to vote within the next 6 months on wether the new high school will be a replacement or a second high school.

I myself would like to see Fayetteville's current High School to be sold, preferably to the UofA, so the university has more room to grow. Although, I hate to see Fayetteville's current high school go, it's probably the oldest one now, since Rogers High School Sophomore Campus is being converted (demolished), into a second high school.

I read in today's paper that Fayetteville is planning on opening a new high school by 2011.

The schoolboard still has to vote within the next 6 months on wether the new high school will be a replacement or a second high school.

I myself would like to see Fayetteville's current High School to be sold, preferably to the UofA, so the university has more room to grow. Although, I hate to see Fayetteville's current high school go, it's probably the oldest one now, since Rogers High School Sophomore Campus is being converted (demolished), into a second high school.

Yeah I was wondering if it was also going to be a replacement or a second high school as well. They'll probably keep it quiet till any possible deal is worked out with the university. I hadn't thought about it but it probably is the oldest high school in the area. Perhaps not including some of the smaller towns, but then again a lot of them probably have gotten new schools as well.

Looks like Fayetteville is considering a study to find out a little more about trying to develop a 'creative' economy. It would certainly be great to see the arts more present and supported in the area. It would also add another dimension to the economy and help broaden and diversify it as well.

Looks like Fayetteville is considering a study to find out a little more about trying to develop a 'creative' economy. It would certainly be great to see the arts more present and supported in the area. It would also add another dimension to the economy and help broaden and diversify it as well.

I wish a city in Benton County would do that, sounds cool.

I'd like to see more Tech Jobs, as well as some manufacturing, Medical, and Tourism Jobs.

I wish a city in Benton County would do that, sounds cool.

I'd like to see more Tech Jobs, as well as some manufacturing, Medical, and Tourism Jobs.

Yeah I really would like to see more of an art community in the area. Eureka Springs has been a good place in this area as well as Hot Springs. I'd also like to see an area in our metro well represented in this area as well.

Speaking of art, the Fayetteville Arts Festival is coming up soon. It will be on two weekends, Sept 1st-3rd and Sept 8th-9th. I believe it will mainly take place around the Square, the Fayetteville Town Center and the Nadine Baum Studios near the Walton Arts Center.

Yeah I really would like to see more of an art community in the area. Eureka Springs has been a good place in this area as well as Hot Springs. I'd also like to see an area in our metro well represented in this area as well.

Fayetteville and Bentonville seem like good contendors for this. There isn't much galleries around here. I'm hoping this will change once Crystal Bridges opens. It would be great to walk in Downtown Bentonville and have an arts district.

Fayetteville and Bentonville seem like good contendors for this. There isn't much galleries around here. I'm hoping this will change once Crystal Bridges opens. It would be great to walk in Downtown Bentonville and have an arts district.

Yeah I think Crystal Bridges will certainly help. It will also be nice to see more development into this area as well up there. I do agree with you that both 'villes seem to be the best contenders.

Bentonville does have it's Art Walk and Fusion (the new gallery) is a nice addition.....