Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

The grocery store in Evelyn Hills?

No, although Ozark Natural Foods in Evelyn Hills and the Ozark Co-op used to be the same company. But Ozark Natural Foods broke off and became a seperate entity if I understand correctly. The Ozark Co-op did sell some items at a small location but mainly warehoused and distributed organic products throughout the southeast and midwest. They were based here in Fayetteville.

It would also allow you to walk around the street with an alcholic beverage in hand.

Unfortunately, that is against state law and can happen only when and if the legislature votes to change existing laws which prohibit consumption of alcohol outside the confines of a bar/club/restaurant, etc.

Fortunately, the legislature is very likeley to adress this issue in the next legislative session. Actually, they did in the last session, passing a law that would have allowed for the creation of such entertainment districts that would allow for the consumption of beer/alcohol outside of clubs in the district. The law was aimed at the River Market, Hot Springs and Dickson Street. However, Governor Huckabee vetoed the new law saying that his conscience wouldn't let him support a bill that promoted alcohol consumption in public places. When the legislature reconvened, they actually came within 1 vote of overriding Huckabee on this issue--so it appears to have a lot of support behind it and there are a lot of folks who seem to think it is a shoe-in for next year.

Unfortunately, that is against state law and can happen only when and if the legislature votes to change existing laws which prohibit consumption of alcohol outside the confines of a bar/club/restaurant, etc.

Fortunately, the legislature is very likeley to adress this issue in the next legislative session. Actually, they did in the last session, passing a law that would have allowed for the creation of such entertainment districts that would allow for the consumption of beer/alcohol outside of clubs in the district. The law was aimed at the River Market, Hot Springs and Dickson Street. However, Governor Huckabee vetoed the new law saying that his conscience wouldn't let him support a bill that promoted alcohol consumption in public places. When the legislature reconvened, they actually came within 1 vote of overriding Huckabee on this issue--so it appears to have a lot of support behind it and there are a lot of folks who seem to think it is a shoe-in for next year.

There is lots of talk about closing Clinton Ave on weekend nights to cars (but not trolleys) and allowing walking around with beverages. This will be a big push, you're right. You have to wonder if the city of Fayetteville will go for it regarding Dickson, though. They might fear it would cause more problems with "college kids" and you can't exactly close Dickson to through traffic.

There is lots of talk about closing Clinton Ave on weekend nights to cars (but not trolleys) and allowing walking around with beverages. This will be a big push, you're right. You have to wonder if the city of Fayetteville will go for it regarding Dickson, though. They might fear it would cause more problems with "college kids" and you can't exactly close Dickson to through traffic.

That is a thought. Although I'm not sure if the roads around Dickson could pick up the extra traffic.

Why can Dickson St. not close. Beale St., Bourbon and hundreds of other major streets across the nation are blocked off to automobiles all the time. How would "college kids" interfer with this? Anyways I thought this was all in the Downtown Master Plan.

However, Governor Huckabee vetoed the new law saying that his conscience wouldn't let him support a bill that promoted alcohol consumption in public places. When the legislature reconvened, they actually came within 1 vote of overriding Huckabee on this issue--so it appears to have a lot of support behind it and there are a lot of folks who seem to think it is a shoe-in for next year.

Hell Huckabee will be gone soon. I seriously doubt Asa is even going to be given an opportunity to have a say in this.

Edited by CellarDoor135

It would work fine if they enact the downtown master plan and establish Dickson St as an entertainment district. The street would close around 8 and then the shops might be able to spill over into the road a little. It will be wonderful to walk down Dickson without all the crazy cars driving down it. It would also allow you to walk around the street with an alcholic beverage in hand.

That would be awesome! That sounds like First Fridays in St. Petersburg, FL where the city closes a section of downtown to traffic and everybody pretty much just walks around getting drunk and listening to live music. I don't remember that in the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan, but it's a pretty big plan and I didn't have the time to read it all. Heck it's like 3 or 4 times bigger than Bentonville's Downtown Master Plan and that's pretty big!

That would be awesome! That sounds like First Fridays in St. Petersburg, FL where the city closes a section of downtown to traffic and everybody pretty much just walks around getting drunk and listening to live music. I don't remember that in the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan, but it's a pretty big plan and I didn't have the time to read it all. Heck it's like 3 or 4 times bigger than Bentonville's Downtown Master Plan and that's pretty big!

Thats what I was told was in the plan. Like most, I have yet to read every page of the plan. I'm going on gossip, but with someone who knows the plan better than I do. If it's not it should be, If they are really looking for a true entertainment experience thats what it takes.

I've noticed with all this about the Divinity going on I haven't heard any more news on the revitalization of College Ave. I haven't really seen anything going on either. I don't suppose anyone has seen or heard anything recently have they?

In other news looks like the City Council will vote Monday on adopting the City Plan 2025. Sound like the Planning Commission will be invited as well. The main goals of the City Plan 2025 are; make infill and revitalization our highest priorities, discourage suburban sprawl, make traditional town form standard, grow a livable transportation network, and assemble an enduring green network. The City Plan 2025 will give the city a plan on future growth even if there aren't current ordinances existing now on some of these issues. I guess giving the city the impression that there will be future ordinances on some of these issue and to try to plan ahead for it.

I thought this was an interesting article in today's NWArk Times: "Balancing traffic flow with safety is constant struggle for city planners"

Looks like Fayetteville is really taking to the David & Kohl's consulatation. This is a classic case facing almost all cities in the US-- that is, people still want to live in the classic subdivision isolated from others as much as possible. At least Fayetteville is trying to prevent this, which, as the article points out, does really exacerbate traffic problems, and that is better than nothing. That is the function of government, including city planners- looking out for the greater good.

And it's not like every cul-de-sac needs to be eliminated; it's only that a subdivision could provide at least one connection to a nearby neighborhood or street, thereby really just affecting those that live on that connecting street. That's a common comprimise, and if planners are smart and can do what they do without political interference, it shouldn't be a problem for those living in the neighborhood. Design elements in the street and subdivision layout can discourage cut-through traffic and speeding.

I thought this was an interesting article in today's NWArk Times: "Balancing traffic flow with safety is constant struggle for city planners"

Looks like Fayetteville is really taking to the David & Kohl's consulatation. This is a classic case facing almost all cities in the US-- that is, people still want to live in the classic subdivision isolated from others as much as possible. At least Fayetteville is trying to prevent this, which, as the article points out, does really exacerbate traffic problems, and that is better than nothing. That is the function of government, including city planners- looking out for the greater good.

And it's not like every cul-de-sac needs to be eliminated; it's only that a subdivision could provide at least one connection to a nearby neighborhood or street, thereby really just affecting those that live on that connecting street. That's a common comprimise, and if planners are smart and can do what they do without political interference, it shouldn't be a problem for those living in the neighborhood. Design elements in the street and subdivision layout can discourage cut-through traffic and speeding.

Yeah it does look like they are taking some of the things mention by Dover Kohl rather seriously. Although I'm sure some will argue against that since they agreed to allow the Divinity. Although I personally question what a lot of the residents took out of those meetings. But that's another topic. I know it's not popular but there does need to be something done. Like the article said everyone wants to live in a cul-de-sac a quarter mile from the interstate. They want quick easy access to the city but want to live away from it or feel isolated from it with a dead end road. I guess it's easy for me to say this because I don't have a family that living in one of these cul-de-sac roads. But it still seems to me that if people want to live in a city like Fayetteville then certain 'sacrafices' have to be made to continue to make it a living working city. I also like how the article mentions many of Fayetteville's most desirable neighborhoods are the older ones that have open roads with connectivity.

The City Council adopted the City Plan 2025 Plan and a land use map on an interim basis. Sounds like the City Council still has a few problems with the way it was presented by the Planning Commission. One aspect that I noticed that was changed was the word apropriate was put in front of infill for future city development. Sounds like they also addressed the fact that some people might still a bit put off by the whole City Plan 2025 after the Divinity development was allowed. Here's something I'm been meaning to get more into. I've heard a lot of residents mention that they attended the City Plan 2025 and feel that the Divinity did not meet the plan at all. Well I attended some of these meetings also and I just don't recall anything that seems to show something like the Divinity not working with the plan. At one of the meetings I attended it was distinctly mentioned that the city should have more infill and that the city should build up more to allow more services to develop in return for higher density and also to help prevent sprawl. At this one meeting I attended the Divinity seems to fit this criteria rather well. Granted I didn't attend every single meeting that took place around the different areas of the city. But I don't quite get how so many people that attended the 2025 meetings seemed to be so deadset against the Divinity. I keep questioning what meetings I attended, because this doesn't sound like the attitude that were at any of the ones I attended.

Has anyone heard of the new development on mission in Fayetteville? From the rumors I heard it is supposed to be a massive community within a community. Sort of like a Seaside FL in Fayetteville AR? The whole thing with city squares and a real pedestrian community feel. I recall the name Ruscan square? There was a brochure at the new school in Fayetteville. If anybody has any info this sounds like a very interesting development.

Has anyone heard of the new development on mission in Fayetteville? From the rumors I heard it is supposed to be a massive community within a community. Sort of like a Seaside FL in Fayetteville AR? The whole thing with city squares and a real pedestrian community feel. I recall the name Ruscan square? There was a brochure at the new school in Fayetteville. If anybody has any info this sounds like a very interesting development.

Do you mean that large development near Goshen in the valley (off of Mission/Hwy 45)? The one with the neo-medieval-whatever fortress wall?

Do you mean that large development near Goshen in the valley (off of Mission/Hwy 45)? The one with the neo-medieval-whatever fortress wall?

No, atleast I hope not. I heard this was closer into town. Closer to dowtown from 265. This project is supposed to be really classy, and being done by some of the people behind Keep Fayetteville Funky.

It is going to be off Mission, across from the nursery. It will be a more urban neighborhood.

It is going to be off Mission, across from the nursery. It will be a more urban neighborhood.

Hey NWA_FAN, welcome to the forum. Seems like we've had a number of new people post recently. Nice to see some new faces around. Anyway thanks for the info. :D

I was wondering what they were going to do with that land. Thanks for the info. I know there is a brochure floating around somewhere. I'll try to upload some of it on here.

With all these developments Fayetteville building permit values are going to be sky high. Fayetteville is truly becoming the urban center of NWA.

Edited by CellarDoor135

I always wondered who lived in that house on that hill. That's got to be a great view. From looking on Google Earth, if it is indeed across from the nursery, then it can't be that big. It's bordered by Hwy 45 to the north, Park Place to the east, the old Dillon's grocery to the west, and that older neighborhood on that ridge to the south. But, great location, and it would be interesting to see what type of "urban" neighborhood that would, I assume, take advantage of the terrain and the view.