Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

When saying an urban community, what does that mean exactly? Seaside is a new urbanism type community right? If there is not a lot of land there, I wonder if they will be building upward. Anyway, it is great to here that there is going to be more infill on the eastside of town. So much has been going on downtown, on the westside and in North Fayetteville.

I haven't actually seen this but KNWA is reporting that Fayetteville made yet another list. They reported that MSNBC put out a lit of the cheapest places in the nation where you'd want to live. Obviously leaving out cheaper places like Pine Bluff that are cheap but aren't exactly places people would want to live. Fayetteville apparently came in at number four behind Ashville NC, Austin, and Boise. I'll see if I can find this and post a link here.

Ok, found out some more info. It is that land right across from the nursery. The name is Ruskin Heights. It is a new urbanism community with churches fountains and all kinds of interesting features. They highlight the development is being developed around the pedestrian and not the automobile. :thumbsup:

It is the hill off to the side of crossover. They look to have quite a bit of land and the land is bordered by the Park Place subdivision to the east as well as Mount Sequoyah to the south. It is still in development phase, but just as the downtown master plan it will have input from the entire city of Fayetteville. They have a design studio set up at Scarpinos off of Dickson.

Many of the communities they mentioned this being similar to was Hyland Park, TX and Telegraph Hill in San Francisco. Sounds like a really neat development and oddly enough this would be considered as infill, so more power to them.

Ok, found out some more info. It is that land right across from the nursery. The name is Ruskin Heights. It is a new urbanism community with churches fountains and all kinds of interesting features. They highlight the development is being developed around the pedestrian and not the automobile. :thumbsup:

It is the hill off to the side of crossover. They look to have quite a bit of land and the land is bordered by the Park Place subdivision to the east as well as Mount Sequoyah to the south. It is still in development phase, but just as the downtown master plan it will have input from the entire city of Fayetteville. They have a design studio set up at Scarpinos off of Dickson.

Many of the communities they mentioned this being similar to was Hyland Park, TX and Telegraph Hill in San Francisco. Sounds like a really neat development and oddly enough this would be considered as infill, so more power to them.

Cool, thanks for the update. :D

Anybody heard of The White Rabbit Hookah Lounge in Wedington Plaza? It's a new club in Fayetteville. I know what a hookah is, but I haven't figured out just what goes on in a "hookah lounge", although my imagination gets the best of me. Won't it be banned when the statewide smoking ban goes into effect?

Anybody heard of The White Rabbit Hookah Lounge in Wedington Plaza? It's a new club in Fayetteville. I know what a hookah is, but I haven't figured out just what goes on in a "hookah lounge", although my imagination gets the best of me. Won't it be banned when the statewide smoking ban goes into effect?

Hmmm....good point. If it does manage to stay open I think Matt would be interested in it. I believe he's expressed some interest in something like this before.

Finally NWA is getting a Hookah Lounge.

These are a big draw in larger metros and are a common piece of culture in the Mid-East. Most Hookah lounges have pots where more than one person can smoke out of. It's a big social thing.

I don't think this will be affected by the smoking ban simply because it's a tobacco oriented company that probably has the necessary permits and such. I thought Bars were excluded from the ban, but I'm not to certain. I also know that businesses with under 3 employees are excluded.

It looks like Fayetteville might not give up on the building of the taller metal poles for the power lines. Sounds like the city has been trying to look into other options and that Swepco has been ignoring any comments the city have directed to it. Sounds like Swepco is trying to get this done without the city or public getting involved. Of course many people are wanting to look for alternatives. Some people feel it's a waste to have spent the money trying to enhance Dickson St a few years ago only to have them put some huge metal powerlines in now. I'm still hoping there will be some way around this if Swepco doesn't try to sneak in and build them before the city can do something first.

It looks like Fayetteville might not give up on the building of the taller metal poles for the power lines. Sounds like the city has been trying to look into other options and that Swepco has been ignoring any comments the city have directed to it. Sounds like Swepco is trying to get this done without the city or public getting involved. Of course many people are wanting to look for alternatives. Some people feel it's a waste to have spent the money trying to enhance Dickson St a few years ago only to have them put some huge metal powerlines in now. I'm still hoping there will be some way around this if Swepco doesn't try to sneak in and build them before the city can do something first.

I am so mega-pissed about this. I just don't understand why they can't find another option besides running them straight down Dickson. I don't care how much it costs to bury them, it's worth it.

I am so mega-pissed about this. I just don't understand why they can't find another option besides running them straight down Dickson. I don't care how much it costs to bury them, it's worth it.

You'd think the city would consider doing something about funding to put them underground. I do get the impression now that the city is looking at options but isn't getting any cooperation from Swepco. I am getting the impression Swepco is just trying to do what's easiest for them and doesn't want to have to consider other options. They haven't responded to any of the city's requests about it.

Who wants to smoke out of a pot with other people? :unsure: I guess you have to be a smoker to understand that. I wonder if Hookah lounges are fads like oxygen bars?

Actually the hookah, or narghile as it was originally called, has been around for around 400 years and "hookah lounges" have been around for nearly that long. The "hookah lounge" or "hookah bar" has only recently arrived in the US and is fashionable near university campuses. Here's a quotation from William Hickey, an 18th century English lawyer and author of a famous set of memoirs, who wrote about the hookah in his Memoirs shortly after his arrival in Calcutta in 1775:

The most highly-dressed and splendid hookah was prepared for me. I tried it, but did not like it. As after several trials I still found it disagreeable, I with much gravity requested to know whether it was indispensably necessary that I should become a smoker, which was answered with equal gravity, 'Undoubtedly it is, for you might as well be out of the world as out of the fashion. Here everybody uses a hookah, and it is impossible to get on without'.....have frequently heard men declare they would much rather be deprived of their dinner than their hookah.

So I'd say the "hookah lounge" is anything but a fad, although it's just as unhealthy as smoking in a public place and maybe even much more so than smoking cigarettes.

I haven't actually seen this but KNWA is reporting that Fayetteville made yet another list. They reported that MSNBC put out a lit of the cheapest places in the nation where you'd want to live. Obviously leaving out cheaper places like Pine Bluff that are cheap but aren't exactly places people would want to live. Fayetteville apparently came in at number four behind Ashville NC, Austin, and Boise. I'll see if I can find this and post a link here.

This is WAY late, but I just saw it ;) That list isn't sorted best to worst, but alphabetical.

This is WAY late, but I just saw it ;) That list isn't sorted best to worst, but alphabetical.

Doh.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time, the NWA metro cracked the Top 100 Housing Markets on CNNMoney. You'll notice that it is "fair value" but you also will see it's 5% overpriced. You'll also note that the actual home price is higher than markets like Little Rock, Tulsa, Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, etc which traditionally were considerably more expensive. As a matter of fact just 5 years ago the LR and DFW markets were moderately more expensive. You'll also note that all of these markets aside from NWA are considerably undervalued for the home you get.

CNN Money Housing Markets

Interesting data. Reasonable home prices were big reason why many people I know chose to move to NWA. While prices are still cheaper than the national average the prices are higher than the major metros in the region and I think that could be an impetus to slow growth if job growth slows as well.

At least, finally, NWA starts showing up on some of these indices.

Biobased fules is about to start construction on their new headquarters off of Cato in South Fayetteville.

The design is yet another green building and is two floors at 60,000 sq ft.. Though I do not have a picture it is a very cool building sort of going with the theme on that part of town. Very sharp looking. They said they will be bringing with them 60-80 employees at the new location.

This was all in a new magazine called High Rise Fayetteville. I know there are not that many but still more than most in the area. Most of the talking was done by AMA and the Barbers but it enveloped all projects in Fayetteville with colored renderings and everything else you need to know. I would like to know if this was a one time deal or an actuall new magazine. I'll stop by the chamber to see if it was their doing.

Edited by CellarDoor135

Also, I don't know if anyone has driven by 540 and 62 but the new Lindsey project is going up in front of their horrible Southern View.( It's actually a nice complex, It is horrible in that it looks like the thousands of other apartments he has done). This however has been promised to the city to have it's own look. There will be a collection of three story buildings with retail on the first floors and residences on the top. I hope it turns out nicely.

This was all in a new magazine called High Rise Fayetteville. I know there are not that many but still more than most in the area. Most of the talking was done by AMA and the Barbers but it enveloped all projects in Fayetteville with colored renderings and everything else you need to know. I would like to know if this was a one time deal or an actuall new magazine. I'll stop by the chamber to see if it was their doing.

I'm not sure who did it, but it certainly wasn't the chamber in Fayetteville.

Actually the hookah, or narghile as it was originally called, has been around for around 400 years and "hookah lounges" have been around for nearly that long. The "hookah lounge" or "hookah bar" has only recently arrived in the US and is fashionable near university campuses. Here's a quotation from William Hickey, an 18th century English lawyer and author of a famous set of memoirs, who wrote about the hookah in his Memoirs shortly after his arrival in Calcutta in 1775:

So I'd say the "hookah lounge" is anything but a fad, although it's just as unhealthy as smoking in a public place and maybe even much more so than smoking cigarettes.

I was kind of thinking it would be a fad in this country, but who knows.

I don't smoke so it's no big deal to me. I'd rather people smoke in a hookah lounge than at Chili's or other family restaurant.

Doh.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time, the NWA metro cracked the Top 100 Housing Markets on CNNMoney. You'll notice that it is "fair value" but you also will see it's 5% overpriced. You'll also note that the actual home price is higher than markets like Little Rock, Tulsa, Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin, etc which traditionally were considerably more expensive. As a matter of fact just 5 years ago the LR and DFW markets were moderately more expensive. You'll also note that all of these markets aside from NWA are considerably undervalued for the home you get.

CNN Money Housing Markets

Interesting data. Reasonable home prices were big reason why many people I know chose to move to NWA. While prices are still cheaper than the national average the prices are higher than the major metros in the region and I think that could be an impetus to slow growth if job growth slows as well.

At least, finally, NWA starts showing up on some of these indices.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. I had been hearing for the last year or two that the average home price had gone above pretty much every other metro in the region. This backs that up. As you mentioned growth could slow because of this. While this might not affect the Wal-mart people coming here to work. There are quite a few out of state people, namely the Californians, who moved here because of the area being consistantly ranked so high and because of the costs. I don't know if this would really affect too many Californians from not moving here now though. The area is still very cheap compared to the ridiculous prices out there.

Biobased fules is about to start construction on their new headquarters off of Cato in South Fayetteville.

The design is yet another green building and is two floors at 60,000 sq ft.. Though I do not have a picture it is a very cool building sort of going with the theme on that part of town. Very sharp looking. They said they will be bringing with them 60-80 employees at the new location.

I've been wanting to go out and check to see the high tech business park and such. I've seen a few pics but never went out there. Until recently I didn't even quite realize where it was at. I had always thought it was more in the south central part of the city. No wonder I had never been able to see it when driving around that area. Thanks for info on the mag as well. Where did you get your copy? I'd really like to get a copy for myself as well.

Also, I don't know if anyone has driven by 540 and 62 but the new Lindsey project is going up in front of their horrible Southern View.( It's actually a nice complex, It is horrible in that it looks like the thousands of other apartments he has done). This however has been promised to the city to have it's own look. There will be a collection of three story buildings with retail on the first floors and residences on the top. I hope it turns out nicely.

I had heard they were going to be doing something over there but I hadn't been over there yet to see it.

Looks like Fayetteville was able to get a response out of Swepco now. They basically said there wasn't much of any way to get around this, that it pretty much just had to be done. They mentioned burying the lines was very uncommon for these type of lines and would require special equipment. Sounds like costs could be $5 Mil for every 3-4 blocks. They did mention there were some options of different styles of metal poles and colors. But either way it's still going to be the same height. I also don't think Swepco liked the notion that they were trying to be sneaky about this. The Public Service Commission apparently had ok'd this. I suppose because there doesn't appear to be a lot of options. But I think the city still wants to have some sort of public meeting about this. They want to feel that they can have some sort of input into this. Maybe even if it's just trying to pick what color and style of metal poles.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. I had been hearing for the last year or two that the average home price had gone above pretty much every other metro in the region. This backs that up. As you mentioned growth could slow because of this. While this might not affect the Wal-mart people coming here to work. There are quite a few out of state people, namely the Californians, who moved here because of the area being consistantly ranked so high and because of the costs. I don't know if this would really affect too many Californians from not moving here now though. The area is still very cheap compared to the ridiculous prices out there.

Like I said, it's still way below the national average so I doubt it will have an impact on people moving from California or the Northeast who see the area as a real bargain. It will probably have an impact, maybe just to a minor degree, on people moving from other parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, or elsewhere throught the South and Midwest. As long as NWA is creating jobs it will continue to grow and home prices aren't a big factor unless there's a big difference between it and other metros (which isn't the case yet). However, for most of the people moving to NWA it used to be a downhill slope financially and now it's starting to be more of an uphill slope.

Like I said, it's still way below the national average so I doubt it will have an impact on people moving from California or the Northeast who see the area as a real bargain. It will probably have an impact, maybe just to a minor degree, on people moving from other parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, or elsewhere throught the South and Midwest. As long as NWA is creating jobs it will continue to grow and home prices aren't a big factor unless there's a big difference between it and other metros (which isn't the case yet). However, for most of the people moving to NWA it used to be a downhill slope financially and now it's starting to be more of an uphill slope.

I guess if fewer people from Arkansas and the nearby region move in and more people from further areas keep coming. It will continue to keep changing the current 'culture' of NWA. Not sure if it would make it any less 'southern'. I think having as many people as we do coming in from Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma in the recent past anyway that this wasn't exactly very 'southern' anyway.

I was kind of thinking it would be a fad in this country, but who knows.

I don't smoke so it's no big deal to me. I'd rather people smoke in a hookah lounge than at Chili's or other family restaurant.

Fad or not it I don't like the idea of a "hookah lounge" especially being targeted at universities where students are much more susceptible to "fads" or peer pressure to be "cool" and I am a smoker. Countries in the Middle East and Far East may require people to smoke in order to fit in or even do business in those countries but this is the US that has the most expensive healthcare system in the world.