Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Looks like there could be a little more controversy for Dickson. This time involving the old railroad station. Everyone was happy to hear it was being renovated. But now some people aren't too happy because they feel too many changes are being made to the historic building. Some people apparently think of it as the third most important building in the city behind Old Main and the Old Courthouse. The developers have said they are trying to preserve what they can but feel some changes have to be made to make the project economically feasible. Although it does sound like there may be enough changes made that will result in the building being taken of the National Register of Historic Places. It does bring up an interesting question though. It obviously wasn't doing the city a lot of good setting there empty all those years. And while it's great it wasn't torn down how far should people go to try to keep it historically accurate? One example is the roof. It needs to be replaced but to use a specialty company to replace the tiles could cost as much as $40,000 in itself just for the historical tiles. I guess there's going to be a fine line. We should try to keep as much of our history as possible. But what happens when it becomes economically unrealistic that someone is going to shell all the extra money involved to try to keep a building that's been abandoned for years historically accurate. If this had come out before all the work had started and there was a big public uproar about this, I think there could have been a chance the developers would have given up and the building could still be sitting empty. I guess there's no easy answers here.

^^

Well this is an easy choice:

Keep it as a tombstone to remind people of what once was.

*OR*

Rebuild it and keep a portion intact for historical purposes.

I'll say that a tombstone doesn't bring in any tax dollars.

I'm sorry but you are flatout wrong. What they are doing to that building is nothing less than ruining one of the most important buildings in NWA. What's next, renovating war eagle mill with energy efficient siding to make the building more economically feasible. Leaving anything up to Steve Mansfield to produce something for the community was the first mistake of many in this ever delayed project ( If you've seen any of the other "wonderful" properties he maintains.) This depot is the reason many of you live here today. This building is the very base from what todays NWA was built upon. Sorry if a few of us care when some cheap developers come in and don't have the financial means to properly re-develop such a meaningful part of our community. So Sorry but some of us actually give a sh*t about the little bit of history we have in these parts.

Edited by CellarDoor135

I'm sorry but you are flatout wrong. What they are doing to that building is nothing less than ruining one of the most important buildings in NWA. What's next, renovating war eagle mill with energy efficient siding to make the building more economically feasible. Leaving anything up to Steve Mansfield to produce something for the community was the first mistake of many in this ever delayed project ( If you've seen any of the other "wonderful" properties he maintains.) This depot is the reason many of you live here today. This building is the very base from what todays NWA was built upon. Sorry if a few of us care when some cheap developers come in and don't have the financial means to properly re-develop such a meaningful part of our community. So Sorry but some of us actually give a sh*t about the little bit of history we have in these parts.

I can understand your feelings on the matter. Maybe there is a better way to do something with it and try to better preserve it as well. But I think it's a lot easier said than done. I don't think the building is in the greatest of shape because it's been vacant for so long. I think what also complicates matters is that it's along Dickson. I doubt that property came cheaply. Between the cost of the property and then the price to properly restore the building would seem to me that it might make the building unlikely to be developed. It does make me wonder what someone like the Barber Group would have done with the property if they owned it. Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers by posting about this. There is a lot of history there in that building and I don't mean to treat it like it is unimportant. I was also curious if you had some ideas of what you would like to see done with it.

War Eagle Mill is not only historic, but it produces state income tax, property tax and sales tax. Thousands of visitors each year get to appreciate War Eagle Mill. How many people go to Fayetteville to visit a vacant building?

Edited by masons_dad1

I can understand your feelings on the matter. Maybe there is a better way to do something with it and try to better preserve it as well. But I think it's a lot easier said than done. I don't think the building is in the greatest of shape because it's been vacant for so long. I think what also complicates matters is that it's along Dickson. I doubt that property came cheaply. Between the cost of the property and then the price to properly restore the building would seem to me that it might make the building unlikely to be developed. It does make me wonder what someone like the Barber Group would have done with the property if they owned it. Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers by posting about this. There is a lot of history there in that building and I don't mean to treat it like it is unimportant. I was also curious if you had some ideas of what you would like to see done with it.

The Barber group would knock it down. I like how Greg House in his explanation of the changes constantly repeated the fact that they were not putting a 15 story building there. As if to make the changes sound less intrusive. Personally, I would have loved to see the AMA group pick this property up. They seem to have the intelligence and proper funding sources to pull all these historic tombstones back to their original glory, while still maintaining economic feasabilitly

The Barber group would knock it down. I like how Greg House in his explanation of the changes constantly repeated the fact that they were not putting a 15 story building there. As if to make the changes sound less intrusive. Personally, I would have loved to see the AMA group pick this property up. They seem to have the intelligence and proper funding sources to pull all these historic tombstones back to their original glory, while still maintaining economic feasabilitly

It would be nice to be able to keep as many of the historical aspects as possible. I realize the building isn't designed well to adapt to today's uses. I've always wondered if perhaps building on to it from the back and have it be a part of a larger building.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where this subject should go and I didn't want to create another one-shot news thread as we have way too many already.

Does anyone think that the possible development of the Fayetteville Shale could have a huge economic impact of Fayetteville? I realize that Fayetteville Shale isn't exactly in Fayetteville, but a news article I read says that $5.5 Billion could benefit local economies by 2008.

Here's the article link: Chesapeake warns of "high costs" in Fayetteville Shale - Arkansas News Bureau

I always thought that the Fayetteville Shale was going to benefit Conway more than NWA.

There is Fayetteville shale up here obviously but yeah I don't think there's much if any possible fuel deposits in this area. I'm pretty sure most of it is located more towards north central Arkansas. I think Conway will benefit because it's the closest somewhat large city to most of the future drilling sites.

I've heard that some investors from Houston have bought the Evelyn Hills shopping center for around $10 Mil. It's supposed to be a long term buy with them doing some redevelopment. I haven't heard any specific details but apparently some of the investors met with Mayor Coody about some of the details.

It looks like the city is going to decide if dining on sidewalks and outside.

This proposal is set in the downtown master plan, and would create that whole "European feel" that's not quite there in Fayetteville.

I sure hope this get's approved. It would truely be an asset for the downtown community, seeing as how cafe's could pop up and create more of an Urban Feel.

This proposal is set in the downtown master plan, and would create that whole "European feel" that's not quite there in Fayetteville.

I sure hope this get's approved. It would truely be an asset for the downtown community, seeing as how cafe's could pop up and create more of an Urban Feel.

Yeah I get the impression it will probably be approved. The only thing is that it probably won't affect every restaurant. There are some that simply don't have enough sidewalk space for something like this. If anyone saw today's Northwest Arkansas Times you would have seen how the front page was dominated by numerous Dickson St related articles.

They would be crazy to not approve it. That will add alot to the city. In Europe, if the sidewalks are to narrow and they often are) they just put the tables in the street itself.

They would be crazy to not approve it. That will add alot to the city. In Europe, if the sidewalks are to narrow and they often are) they just put the tables in the street itself.

I'm sure it will approve.

The city leaders will obviously see that this would be an economic gain, not an eyesore.

BTW, welcome to the NWA forum Spartan.

I'm sure it will approve.

The city leaders will obviously see that this would be an economic gain, not an eyesore.

BTW, welcome to the NWA forum Spartan.

Some see it as an eyesore and some see it as an economic gain. However, the problem is that certain people want to keep Fayetteville "the small town feel" and with the growth its just not going to be possible.

Honestly I haven't heard too many negative opinions on the outdoor dining so I do get the impression it will pass. Spartan you do raise a point about European roads. But then again they aren't as reliant on them as we are over here. I don't think we'll see them put anything in the street. I think the biggest thing is the fact that there has to be enough space for handicapped people to be able to easily pass through if they wish.

Sidewalk dining on Dickson Street wouldn't work. Dickson Street is just too narrow for it. I'd like to see more patio dining above some of the restaurants and cafes. There's a couple, but more of them would give Dickson Street a nice streetside ambience with people dining outdoors and above the street level.

Well I heard some bad news today. I don't know if you couild call it a Fayetteville 'institution'. But the Ozark Co-op apparently went under. I believe they're been around since the 60's or 70's. I also know a number of local stores got their organic products through them. I knew they had been having some financial difficulties recently but I'm still a bit surprised to see that they went under.

Sidewalk dining on Dickson Street wouldn't work. Dickson Street is just too narrow for it. I'd like to see more patio dining above some of the restaurants and cafes. There's a couple, but more of them would give Dickson Street a nice streetside ambience with people dining outdoors and above the street level.

It would work fine if they enact the downtown master plan and establish Dickson St as an entertainment district. The street would close around 8 and then the shops might be able to spill over into the road a little. It will be wonderful to walk down Dickson without all the crazy cars driving down it. It would also allow you to walk around the street with an alcholic beverage in hand.

Well I heard some bad news today. I don't know if you couild call it a Fayetteville 'institution'. But the Ozark Co-op apparently went under. I believe they're been around since the 60's or 70's. I also know a number of local stores got their organic products through them. I knew they had been having some financial difficulties recently but I'm still a bit surprised to see that they went under.

The grocery store in Evelyn Hills?

It would work fine if they enact the downtown master plan and establish Dickson St as an entertainment district. The street would close around 8 and then the shops might be able to spill over into the road a little. It will be wonderful to walk down Dickson without all the crazy cars driving down it. It would also allow you to walk around the street with an alcholic beverage in hand.

This would be like 6th Street in Austin.