Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I saw an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the widening of Crossover/Hwy 265. It also mentioned the possibility of it becoming a boulevard. I don't recall hearing anything about that before. The city is sharing the cost of widening the road with that state since it is a state highway. But I would imagine the AHTD would also have something to say about it becoming a boulevard or not. Just curious if anyone had heard any more info on this.

They tried to this 5 or 6 years ago, which was about the time it needed to be done. The city wanted this blvd w/ trees and that sort of stuff, but the state just wanted to help pay for the widening. The city did not back down, so the state told them to pay for it themselves. This project should have been done years ago, instead traffic is terrible over there.

I need to find out when they have these meetings so I can possibly actually see one in person. Maybe even possibly say a few things. :D

Here is the link to the city's website: City Calendar

It should tell you when every meeting takes place.

They tried to this 5 or 6 years ago, which was about the time it needed to be done. The city wanted this blvd w/ trees and that sort of stuff, but the state just wanted to help pay for the widening. The city did not back down, so the state told them to pay for it themselves. This project should have been done years ago, instead traffic is terrible over there.

Here is the link to the city's website: City Calendar

It should tell you when every meeting takes place.

Ahhh...I see now. Guess I had looked at it wrong before. Thanks for the info. :D

I saw where the Old Depot development opened with Gloria Jean's Coffee and Haagen-Dazs. It's great that this is downtown, I'll have to check it out.

Yeah it opened up end of last month. I just hope they aren't planning on keeping that big ice cream ballon on the top of the building.

Maybe I should also mention that what I was seeing on tv last night was apparently live. I saw the things they were discussing mentioned in the paper today. It was brought up last night but was tabled to be discussed more in the future, but there was even talk of making buildings even in the downtown core have stepbacks. Not sure if it would ever pass because some didn't seem to agree with one of the council members but it is a possibility though.

Edited by Mith242

Sounds like some changes in the roads south of the mall could be happening in the future. Mayor Dan Coody has apparently helped acquire $9.7Mil in federal funds to work on roads near the mall and Fulbright Expressway area. The city still has to come up with $2Mil but the mayor hoped those funds will come from the upcoming bond issue. It sounds like they'll be trying to connect north-south roads that the expressway seperates which would take some of the congestion around Joyce and College away. Not sure how exactly all of this will be done. Maybe itk has heard a little about this. :D

Sounds like some changes in the roads south of the mall could be happening in the future. Mayor Dan Coody has apparently helped acquire $9.7Mil in federal funds to work on roads near the mall and Fulbright Expressway area. The city still has to come up with $2Mil but the mayor hoped those funds will come from the upcoming bond issue. It sounds like they'll be trying to connect north-south roads that the expressway seperates which would take some of the congestion around Joyce and College away. Not sure how exactly all of this will be done. Maybe itk has heard a little about this. :D

I wish they would spend the money on College between North and Dickson. This is much more critical to me as it leads to the heart of our city vs. trying to build a "new" Fayetteville out there at Mission and Crossover. This is, after all, called URBAN planet, not SUBurban planet. I am not real interested in the 'burbs. Been there, done that, in many different cities. It's an alienating place. Let's make Fayetteville the city envisioned in our new master plan, not just another bland suburban metroplex.

I wish they would spend the money on College between North and Dickson. This is much more critical to me as it leads to the heart of our city vs. trying to build a "new" Fayetteville out there at Mission and Crossover. This is, after all, called URBAN planet, not SUBurban planet. I am not real interested in the 'burbs. Been there, done that, in many different cities. It's an alienating place. Let's make Fayetteville the city envisioned in our new master plan, not just another bland suburban metroplex.

I do see what you're saying although looking at the city as a whole I see why they're doing it. I've heard College and Joyce mentioned as either one of the top busiest intersections or the busiest intersection in the state. I think the city is also concerned that as all the big shopping options open up in Rogers the city needs to make the Mall area as easily accessable as possible. They're already going to be losing potential tax dollars with people going up to Rogers instead.

I do see what you're saying although looking at the city as a whole I see why they're doing it. I've heard College and Joyce mentioned as either one of the top busiest intersections or the busiest intersection in the state. I think the city is also concerned that as all the big shopping options open up in Rogers the city needs to make the Mall area as easily accessable as possible. They're already going to be losing potential tax dollars with people going up to Rogers instead.

I understand the Joyce/College issue. Crossover is another matter, however!

I agree, we need to make it as easy as possible to access Fayetteville's main shopping district. According to KNWA, College and Joyce is now the busiest intersection in the state. Also 40% of the city's tax dollars come from this area. I am not really sure what they are going to be doing with the 9.7 million in grant money (if we can come up w/ 2 million). Maybe start on the flyover? Any ideas?

What's the flyover idea?

I haven't heard of this.

The flyover would take traffic that is traveling northbound on College and let it go over the southbound lanes then connect to the Fullbright Expressway. Currently you have to go to the Joyce intersection and make a U-Turn to get to the expressway. That causes alot of congestion and it would fix some of it, but it will be expensive.

The flyover would take traffic that is traveling northbound on College and let it go over the southbound lanes then connect to the Fullbright Expressway. Currently you have to go to the Joyce intersection and make a U-Turn to get to the expressway. That causes alot of congestion and it would fix some of it, but it will be expensive.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I saw an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the widening of Crossover/Hwy 265. It also mentioned the possibility of it becoming a boulevard. I don't recall hearing anything about that before. The city is sharing the cost of widening the road with that state since it is a state highway. But I would imagine the AHTD would also have something to say about it becoming a boulevard or not. Just curious if anyone had heard any more info on this.

I think the boulevard concept is understood between AHTD and the City, since the City is paying 50%. But it's not finalized yet. However, if voters don't pass the transportation improvements, then my guess is that Hwy 265 will drop in priority, and/or not be made a boulevard (since it, as invisioned by Fay, costs more).

Sounds like some changes in the roads south of the mall could be happening in the future. Mayor Dan Coody has apparently helped acquire $9.7Mil in federal funds to work on roads near the mall and Fulbright Expressway area. The city still has to come up with $2Mil but the mayor hoped those funds will come from the upcoming bond issue. It sounds like they'll be trying to connect north-south roads that the expressway seperates which would take some of the congestion around Joyce and College away. Not sure how exactly all of this will be done. Maybe itk has heard a little about this.

I've been away from my pc for quite some time, sorry I would've responded sooner :)

That's the North Fay Economic Dev Corridor money Coody is referring to-- it's the same thing that was referred to in a NWATimes article about a month ago (where it mentioned Fay hired a consulting firm to study the area to see what should be done to solve the traffic problems).

Well, they can't for that pot of money Coody was referring to-- that is federal ear-marked funds, sometimes affectionally referred to as pork-barrel money by the media. That is, it can only be spent on what the politicians say it can be spent on as stated in the federal transportation bill, and nothing else ("use-it-or-lose-it").

To my understanding, the Fay admin is not currently seeking that as a workable solution. They don't want it.

I agree, we need to make it as easy as possible to access Fayetteville's main shopping district. According to KNWA, College and Joyce is now the busiest intersection in the state. Also 40% of the city's tax dollars come from this area. I am not really sure what they are going to be doing with the 9.7 million in grant money (if we can come up w/ 2 million). Maybe start on the flyover? Any ideas?

Not sure-- the consultants Fay has hired I think have just started their study.

To my understanding, the Fay admin is not currently seeking that as a workable solution. They don't want it.

Mine as well, I thought it had been made public, but maybe not. Apparently they don't really WANT people to be able to easily get on 540 there. Also, the city is very much stuck in a "downtown is the future" mode right now, anything more than 10 blocks from Dickson or the Square mine as well be in a different city as far as atleast some of the city admin is concerned.

If I understand correctly they are looking more into connecting some north-south roads over by the expressway. One of the reasons there's so much traffic at that intersection is because the Fulbright Expressway acts as a wall funneling all the traffic to that intersection. The way Fayetteville is situated much of the city has to go that direction to get to the mall area. But if you cut the expressway and allow connections there you allow more people to follow some of those routes and not overwhelm the Joyce/College intersection. But I've wondered if the AHTD thinks of this idea or if they approve this at all. I don't know if the Fulbright Expressway falls under any highway jurisdiction anymore.

Edited by Mith242

If I understand correctly they are looking more into connecting some north-south roads over by the expressway. One of the reasons there's so much traffic at that intersection is because the Fulbright Expressway acts as a wall funneling all the traffic to that intersection. The way Fayetteville is situated much of the city has to go that direction to get to the mall area. But if you cut the expressway and allow connections there you allow more people to follow some of those routes and not overwhelm the Joyce/College intersection. But I've wondered if the AHTD thinks of this idea or if they approve this at all. I don't know if the Fulbright Expressway falls under any highway jurisdiction anymore.

It's technically marked Hwy 71B, so it does. But it was designed as a high-speed freeway bypass-- putting at-grade intersections on it would be irresponsible and dangerous (like putting a traffic signal on a freeway). So if it is to be done like Fay thinks they invision it, it would need some design overhaul.

It's technically marked Hwy 71B, so it does. But it was designed as a high-speed freeway bypass-- putting at-grade intersections on it would be irresponsible and dangerous (like putting a traffic signal on a freeway). So if it is to be done like Fay thinks they invision it, it would need some design overhaul.

Oh yeah I doubt it would still be set up as an expressway (or even like the Martha Mitchell Expressway in Pine Bluff). I was assuming they want to turn it into a boulevard type road. You've already got the center median. But I just wasn't sure if the AHTD would go for something like this.

Here's an article I found on 40/29's website for a Whitewater park in Fayetteville. :shok:

Although Springdale has been in the news since city leaders announced plans for a new sports arena, another northwest Arkansas city has some big plans of its own.

Developer Billy Herring said Sunday that he wants to build a new whitewater park in Fayetteville.

Herring said a population increase and economic growth in northwest Arkansas have helped raise demand for nontraditional sports such as whitewater rafting, kayaking and canoeing. He said the new park would cater to all whitewater rowing sports.

The park would feature a 900-foot-long artificial rapids channel that has a constant current pumped back to the top. Herring said beginners and professionals alike could use the course.

According to Herring, the design will be functional but will not necessarily be influenced by the appearance of Arkansas

Not just the mall area, but the whole eastern half of Springdale basically. A LOT of people go through that intersection to take Joyce to 265 up into Springdale, not to mention the southern half of Thompson (pretty much everything below 412W). E/W arterials in Springdale may do a lot to solve some of Fayetteville's traffic issues, especially if there is at least one that has a connection to 540.

Not just the mall area, but the whole eastern half of Springdale basically. A LOT of people go through that intersection to take Joyce to 265 up into Springdale, not to mention the southern half of Thompson (pretty much everything below 412W). E/W arterials in Springdale may do a lot to solve some of Fayetteville's traffic issues, especially if there is at least one that has a connection to 540.

I never thought about that but yeah some of Springdale has to go through that general area as well.

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty excited about this Whitewater Park. This seems like something I'd see in some of the cities out west and will probably have more people making comparisons of Fayetteville and other western cities. By the way I tried checking the 40/29 website Matt but I never could find it. I was curious to see what details they mentioned.

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty excited about this Whitewater Park. This seems like something I'd see in some of the cities out west and will probably have more people making comparisons of Fayetteville and other western cities. By the way I tried checking the 40/29 website Matt but I never could find it. I was curious to see what details they mentioned.

Me, too, Mith. I have had a lot of fun at those places with my kids and I really hope this gets built.

It looks pretty exciting to me. I wonder if LR has something like this?