markhollin

Really interested to see the final surface here. I can't tell if this grate substructure is to allow for turf to drain (Not a fan of turf) or if it will have grass grow up through it. It appears to be flush with the sidewalk, so I am quite confused as to the intent here.

32 minutes ago, chc3 said:

I believe you’re referring to the statue of William Penn atop the 19th c. City Hall.  Unfortunately, that was scrapped in the early 80’s and now it’s hidden among all the towers downtown.

Spot on.  And I think it helped create a unique blend of old and new; concrete and glass; shorter and taller in that skyline.  Just posted a drone footage video in the Travel Observations string on it.

1 hour ago, chc3 said:

I believe you’re referring to the statue of William Penn atop the 19th c. City Hall.  Unfortunately, that was scrapped in the early 80’s and now it’s hidden among all the towers downtown.

I was completely aware that that was no longer applicable in Philly.  My comment was about historic examples of legislative restrictions to concepts like "view", not the actuality of the current situation.  Lack of such  restrictions remaining in practice and enforcement of them just goes  to prove my point on why the City Lights buttheads have no case IMO.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Baronakim said:

I think 'view' in most dense city cores has few guarantees unless you have it lesiglated like Philly and the Ben Franklinn Statute height or the Tennesse Capitol Hill height resrictions from certain vantages.  This why the lawsuits from the City Lights folks are so absurd.  They were never promised a rose garden per se.

I don't believe the Penn Statue atop the Philly City Hall was legislated as a height limit, but was a "Gentlemen's Agreement." Having visited Philadelphia a few years before they broke the height limit, it was surprising just how unimpressive (height-wise) the skyline was for such a major city. Makes one wonder how many beautiful 500+ footers from the Second Empire-Art Deco eras were lost out on as a result of that "agreement." Imagine had the Singer Building (in my profile pic) had been built in Philly instead of Lower Manhattan, it would still be standing today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...