Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

29 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It sounds like 900 Hynes is primarily going to be warehousing and logistics, with a small scale brewery for experimentals. I doubt it changes anything with phase II, which is large scale fermentation (from this amateur's perspective).

You're spot on. This is to replace 'the nest' where the majority of warehousing was taking place and house specialty/backstage brewing.

Speaking of Founders, is anyone going to Cellar Raid from now until Sunday?

• Like 1

If you're so inclined, USA Today has a bunch of polls running right now for beer related categories, and a lot of Grand Rapids entries are faring pretty well (Hopcat, Founders, Brewery Vivant, Breakfast Stout, etc.) Grand Rapids overall is in the #1 spot for Best Beer Scene (which GR won in 2014) Vote em if you got em! 

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/

• Like 1

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/02/busch_beer_wine_sales_by_the_g.html

Kind of surprised that Horrocks is still the only place in West Michigan to get a beer and shop. I'm somewhat surprised a D&W location or Meijer's (Cascade or Knapp locations) have not added this option to their beer and wine sections.

9 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/02/busch_beer_wine_sales_by_the_g.html

Kind of surprised that Horrocks is still the only place in West Michigan to get a beer and shop. I'm somewhat surprised a D&W location or Meijer's (Cascade or Knapp locations) have not added this option to their beer and wine sections.

The D&W at Knapp's Crossing has wine tasting at different times, back in the wine area. Not quite the same as Horrock's awesome setup. 

With less than a day left to go, Grand Rapids is #1 in the Best Beer Scene category on this USAToday online poll:

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-beer-scene/

Hopcat is still in the running for Best Beer Bar, Brewery Vivant is #2 for Best Brewpub and KBS is in the top 10 for Best Beer Label. Vote often! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

With less than a day left to go, Grand Rapids is #1 in the Best Beer Scene category on this USAToday online poll:

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-beer-scene/

Hopcat is still in the running for Best Beer Bar, Brewery Vivant is #2 for Best Brewpub and KBS is in the top 10 for Best Beer Label. Vote often! 

It looks like there are actually 12 days left, unless I'm missing something. When I look at it, it says they end on 2/29, w/ 12 days left to go. Either way ,throw them your votes!

10 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

It looks like there are actually 12 days left, unless I'm missing something. When I look at it, it says they end on 2/29, w/ 12 days left to go. Either way ,throw them your votes!

Ah, there was a 14 hour countdown clock but that must've been how long before I could vote again. 

So it was a nice day today so I decided to go for a walk from Reeds Lake down Wealthy Street to downtown and back.  A lot of new things since I last did this.  I saw the new butcher shop and I said hello  to one of the ladies carrying furniture into the new animal hospital.  But what really caught my eye was that there is a new vinyl banner sign covering up the Etoy Beauty Shop sign at 720 Wealthy.  It's for CITY2SHORE realty.  It didn't say "for sale" so I'm thinking maybe they intend to open an office in this building.  I have mixed feeling.  Like everyone, I think it would be great to have a more professional facade on that building.  On the other hand, what's up with Ms. Etoy?  It's not progress to lose another black business.  Maybe she's retiring.  I'm retired and it's great.  I can spend all day walking up and down Wealthy if I feel like it.

Sorry. I don't have a picture.  If you are not familiar with the building I'm talking about, here is the Google street view:

GOOGLE ETOY

One other thing of note, J. Peterson has torn down the old church near the high school.  Am I the only one who thinks of J Peterman of Seinfeld and catalog fame every time I see one of those J Peterson signs?  I can just see the Peterman actor, John O'Hurley, giving potential buyers tours through East Grand Rapids houses.              

Edited by walker
to correct the usual typos
  • Like 1

Can anyone explain to me the situation around the Pita House.  I know that the Local epicurean is moving into the space next to the Old Sami's Spot and that Sami's has now moved to the old Indochine spot.  But now a NEW Gyro shop is moving into Sami's old spot?  Who thinks it is a good idea to open another Gyro shop two doors from Sami's?  Is this some family drama?  Two Gyro shops?

4 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Can anyone explain to me the situation around the Pita House.  I know that the Local epicurean is moving into the space next to the Old Sami's Spot and that Sami's has now moved to the old Indochine spot.  But now a NEW Gyro shop is moving into Sami's old spot?  Who thinks it is a good idea to open another Gyro shop two doors from Sami's?  Is this some family drama?  Two Gyro shops?

Here is what I have heard.  The couple that owns Eastown Deli, which used to be in the little green building across from the old Pita House on Ethel but is now in the corner spot by Yesterday is opening the new shop.  They intend to keep their existing spot open.  Don't 100% know the circumstances regarding the owner and the lease of the building but I have been told that the owner did not renew the original Pita House's lease and instead originated a lease to the couple that owns Eastown Deli.  The owners of the original Pita House had been at a loss as to where to go when luckily (at least for them) former the Indochine spot opened up and they moved over there.  The owners of Eastown Deli put up a sign in the "old Pita House" spot that says something like "Coming Soon - Pita like you have never had before" which is kind of a slap in the face to the original Pita House owners.  All in all I believe this has caused some bad blood in this area amongst the business owners.  Kind of sad.

19 hours ago, elcelc said:

Good article but incorrect headline.  The only location commitment is to the city of GR, not the West Side specifically.

It says West Side in the article, that's why I put it on there. Sorry.

19 hours ago, jdkacz said:

I am interested in supporting this brewery, but I rarely make it to the westside. I hope they succeed but I'd like to see a location first.

You wouldn't invest in a business because it's not on the same side of town? I can understand looking to invest in something in your neighborhood is cool, but I wouldn't let that hold you back.

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It says West Side in the article, that's why I put it on there. Sorry.

You wouldn't invest in a business because it's not on the same side of town?

Strictly as an investment, location like you mention is not a big deal. But if I was going to be a member of a co-op brewery I'd prefer for it to be in my neighborhood so I can stop by at least once a week or two weeks to get a pint and lend my support and try to be an active member in the brewery. Geographically, the west side is not super convenient either from my home or work so for those reasons I'm out (I'm an avid Shark Tank fan! ;o)

1 minute ago, jdkacz said:

Strictly as an investment, location like you mention is not a big deal. But if I was going to be a member of a co-op brewery I'd prefer for it to be in my neighborhood so I can stop by at least once a week or two weeks to get a pint and lend my support and try to be an active member in the brewery. Geographically, the west side is not super convenient either from my home or work so for those reasons I'm out (I'm an avid Shark Tank fan! ;o)

Sure I get that. I'm actually thinking of investing in a brewery but I'm more concerned about how the beer tastes. I'm not going to plunk down money on a place where I don't like the beer. :cry:

Yes, if I was going for profit, then taste and quality of the beer is huge and so is location. I do think the west side will be a great location if the Co-Op decides to locate in that neighborhood. 

Good news as a potential investor, there has not been a failed brewery yet in the modern GR craft boom so your money is safe :)

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sure I get that. I'm actually thinking of investing in a brewery but I'm more concerned about how the beer tastes. I'm not going to plunk down money on a place where I don't like the beer. :cry:

3 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

Yes, if I was going for profit, then taste and quality of the beer is huge and so is location. I do think the west side will be a great location if the Co-Op decides to locate in that neighborhood. 

Good news as a potential investor, there has not been a failed brewery yet in the modern GR craft boom so your money is safe :)

Knock on wood! Haha. I want quarterly dividends in the form of unlimited pints.

• Like 1

FYI, I'm involved with High Five so feel free to message me if you don't clog up the forum.  This place keeps self-promotion pretty low key so I'll respect that. 

Anyway, I was hoping the article posted above would have been corrected by now, I guess not.  A number of suitable locations have been looked at but nothing finalized.  And jdkacz is absolutely right, a brewery success is largely due to location economics.   The radius of your majority customer base is somewhat small, we're trying to make it count!

4 hours ago, elcelc said:

FYI, I'm involved with High Five so feel free to message me if you don't clog up the forum.  This place keeps self-promotion pretty low key so I'll respect that. 

Anyway, I was hoping the article posted above would have been corrected by now, I guess not.  A number of suitable locations have been looked at but nothing finalized.  And jdkacz is absolutely right, a brewery success is largely due to location economics.   The radius of your majority customer base is somewhat small, we're trying to make it count!

Did you reach out to the writer?