Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs

markhollin

4 hours ago, downtownresident said:

I think it caught everyone off guard. It's good to hear from the top that the campus is still a major priority. Hopefully we get to see some of the initial plans soon. 

Old-school billionaire exec just spouting off plans before they've been finalized, run through the company's expensive communications department, syncronized with local governments. Makes me think plans aren't close to finalized, still years out.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, andywildman said:

Old-school billionaire exec just spouting off plans before they've been finalized, run through the company's expensive communications department, syncronized with local governments. Makes me think plans aren't close to finalized, still years out.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

You might need to let those projects rest in peace at What Could Have Been Cemetery... the Oracle announcement will probably progress development in the East Bank  more so than other parts of the CBD.

Point taken.  I still believe an announcement like this, if true, could absolutely have downstream impact on developments in the CBD.  Said differently, everybody who eventually would work at an Oracle campus wouldn't live in the East Bank (800 Lea could absorb some of that volume).  And if an Oracle is coming to town, you could likely expect other ancillary companies to follow which could necessitate a need for more office space (1001 Church and Gulch Central).  Not debating as much as clarifying my thoughts.

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 2

More than the "world headquarters" announcement, having Norman Foster involved with the project would be incredible for Nashville. I have heard that Vandy has worked with Sir Norman Foster before, but I do not believe anything has come to fruition. While I don't always buy into the whole "star-chitecture" mantra, Foster has been at the forefront of sustainable design for decades and has an amazing portfolio of work. Even though I am not expecting any buildings above 8 to 10 floors, my expectations for the design are now way higher than I ever imagined. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

The property tax in TN is a whole lot less in TN than in TX. Property tax is how TX funds their school systems and is pretty high in the grand scheme of things. It is not a bargain and folks do not look at that before moving there.

You’re not kidding. It’s come down the last few years, but our property tax in Dallas still runs over 2k more per year than in Nashville. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nashville born said:

Point taken.  I still believe an announcement like this, if true, could absolutely have downstream impact on developments in the CBD.  Said differently, everybody who eventually would work at an Oracle campus wouldn't live in the East Bank (800 Lea could absorb some of that volume).  And if an Oracle is coming to town, you could likely expect other ancillary companies to follow which could necessitate a need for more office space (1001 Church and Gulch Central).  Not debating as much as clarifying my thoughts.

I don't disagree, I just think as far as the CBD is concerned the East Bank will get a bigger boost than SoBro.  I think it is more likely that the East Bank will see a bit of acceleration in developing residential properties.  Also keep in mind that families do not generally lean towards high rise living, so with the amount of people Oracle will potentially bring/hire, there will be a lot of families included.  So, neighborhoods around the CBD will probably do well.  Especially those east, north, northeast and northwest of the CBD.

As far as other companies following Oracle, well that will depend on exactly what Oracle intends for this campus to do.  If it will be more administrative and R&D, then you want necessarily see other companies locating here to be near Oracle.  Manufacturing facilities tend to draw other companies to locate nearby.  But, you can't count out other high tech companies wanting to have a similar presence near an Oracle headquarters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

As I’ve mentioned before, Nashville is one of the most affordable large cities regardless of what the locals think. They just haven’t experienced living elsewhere.

And they remember 1990s prices... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:04 AM, Luvemtall said:

As I’ve mentioned before, Nashville is one of the most affordable large cities regardless of what the locals think. They just haven’t experienced living elsewhere.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/nashville/142k-salary-needed-to-afford-median-home-price-in-nashville-realtor-com-says/

$142K salary needed to afford median home price in Nashville, Realtor.com says

https://www.wsmv.com/2023/04/12/study-how-much-do-you-need-make-be-middle-class-nashville/

The study says Nashville is ranked No. 52 among the 100 largest cities in the U.S., with a median household income of $64,857. The middle income lower limit is just over $43,000, and the upper limit is just shy of $130,000.

Although charts and analysis are often a great way to gauge things, it’s not always a clear indicator of the whole picture. Yes no doubt the cost of living in the Nashville area has skyrocketed, but in the overall it’s still more affordable than a lot of places. What’s usually left out is everything else that you have to spend to survive, taxes, food and energy costs, etc. the cost of housing is just one factor. For example my family in Connecticut (where all their major cities combined don’t equal the size of Nashville) just bought a 1300 sq ft house for 485,000 but now you add in 11,450 a year in property taxes, 3500 a season for oil to heat the house, 1400 a year for auto taxes , 50-75 cent more on average for gasoline, food cost about 25% more and then you can get the picture. Where as here in the ‘Boro my wife and I just recently bought a 1900 sq ft home for 405,000 and our property tax is 1,800 a year on twice the size lot. And our average utility bill is 1250 per year. Just a known comparison, that is close to current. Thats why I made the statement above, I’ve lived in the Northeast for 30 years, Florida for 19 years and in my professional career traveled to all the lower 48 I have seen and experienced the difference between the areas of the country and yes Nashville might not be the least expensive, but it’s definitely not the most.

• Like 3