Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

On 8/14/2023 at 8:16 AM, go_outside said:

NewsChannel5 covered last week's BNA airspace expansion. See the full article here.

"Pugliese said the city's annual July 4th celebration is a great example of why the larger airspace was needed.  'There could be twenty aircraft flying that exact location and half of the aircraft aren’t required to communicate with the air traffic controllers,' he said, 'they’re just outside of their airspace, so this expansion is going to... require everyone to be communicating. And provide more safety for everyone involved.'"

90.thumb.jpeg.a055c3359ee958dc329c979055587cb9.jpeg

This map kinda reminds me of one of the early Nashville SC logos.

The Tennessean with a feature on increased flight delays in/out of BNA (up to 28.5%), which echos trends around the world. Average delay is 53 minutes--a 3 minute increase over 2019. 

Post-pandemic jet and pilot shortages continue to put pressure on thinned-out airline fleets. Nationally, air carriers average on-time flights dropped from 79% in 2019 to 69% in 2022, according to the Department of Transportation.

"The U.S. is operating less aircraft now but moving pretty much the same passenger numbers as 2019 – especially on busy holidays," FlightTracker spokesperson Kathleen Bangs said. "Airlines are accomplishing this by using larger aircraft as many smaller regional airplanes are parked due to the pilot shortage felt most critically at the smaller carriers."

More here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2023/09/05/nashville-international-airport-sees-rise-in-airline-flight-delays/70726661007/

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 7:22 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

Hate to see any airline serving BNA to fold, but I can't say I'm surprised by this. There has been a flurry of Part 135 "Charter by the seat" operators lately, mainly flying to and from under-served tourist markets. I can't imagine there's enough demand for a direct flight between Lincoln, NE and Nashville to maintain service, especially when there aren't connecting flights or codeshare agreements. Frankly, there was always something shady about them anyway. Who in their right mind would invest in such a business model? And what airline ceases operations only 3 months after it opens? Either way, this business model seems unable to compete with LCCs and the legacy air lines.

The two remaining Part 135 operators at BNA, JSX and Contour, are slightly different stories. Contour operates under federal subsidies for the EAS program, and JSX appears to be positioning itself as a premium service. No idea how financially sound JSX is, but Contour is unlikely to be going away any time soon.

I’m convinced that airlines like this one are some sort of money laundering operation or something. It’s so obvious they’re going to fail from the beginning, but someone has to be making money from it. 

• Like 3

Our peer city airport of RDU picks up ANOTHER international carrier and nonstop, Lufthansa to Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) starting in June.

Hopefully a surprise is dropped on the 27th with the opening of the new int'l gates.

WRAL announcement

https://www.wral.com/story/rdu-announces-non-stop-flight-to-germany-with-new-airline/21044866/

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:15 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

I still can't take a consulting firm with the name Korn Ferry seriously. I just have to assume they're heavily involved in waterborne transport of 1990s metal bands.

Korn Ferry is one of most respected and successful executive search and consulting firms in the world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New Pacific Airlines, a new Alaska boutique carrier, will offer twice-a-week flights between Nashville and Ontario, California starting Nov. 17th. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/tourism/alaska-airline-to-connect-nashville-california-s-inland-empire/article_ef351132-5705-11ee-8c8e-139bd13610f0.html