Nashville International Airport PHOTOS (BNA), Airlines and Flights General discussion

Lexy

8 hours ago, FrankNash said:

^^^Kid Rock acts like a 15- year-old boy.  It's the strangest thing that he just never grew up.  Talk about a rebel without any true cause, other than needing attention 24/7.

I think much of it is an act, almost like a character he plays. He actually grew up very wealthy. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:10 AM, nashville born said:

image.thumb.png.b483fe986d48edbbda94c4ad34e26622.png

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

This is really interesting, but I'm very sceptical that this will last past the one-year mark. Wilmington Airport is tiny...they only had charter service for many, many years, and the brief instances of regular scheduled flights has only been in fits and starts. I'm not sure how their terminal is even set up for efficient, scheduled service. On the face it could be a good alternative to Philadelphia, but it has a lot of challenges it needs to overcome. I doubt that this will cater to the business types in Wilmington, though; they're either flying legacy airlines or private charters. The terminal also is lacking in transit options that can provide it easy connections to the rest of the region. The nearest train station is 7 miles away without a good transit option connecting the two, and the rest of the transit are local busses. It isn't even connected directly to I-95/295 So, if tourists want to use it to get to/from Philadelphia, it's either going to be expensive ride share or taxi service or rental car from the airport. If tourists are using it to get from Nashville, then their options are equally as limited. I imagine many will ask if it's worth the savings to drive all the way from Philadelphia. The Wilmington urban area has less than 500k population, and the northern half of it isn't much closer to Wilmington as it is to Philadelphia Int'l. 

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
duplicate quote

18 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Do we know what this plane is delivering/picking up on its weekly trips? 

Anything and everything. Anchorage is one of the biggest transfer terminals for air cargo in the world, so it could be doing everything from flying oversize cargo charters for FedEx or UPS or other carriers, industrial equipment, medical supplies, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 2:10 PM, Nathan_in_DC said:

This is really interesting, but I'm very sceptical that this will last past the one-year mark. Wilmington Airport is tiny...they only had charter service for many, many years, and the brief instances of regular scheduled flights has only been in fits and starts. I'm not sure how their terminal is even set up for efficient, scheduled service. On the face it could be a good alternative to Philadelphia, but it has a lot of challenges it needs to overcome. I doubt that this will cater to the business types in Wilmington, though; they're either flying legacy airlines or private charters. The terminal also is lacking in transit options that can provide it easy connections to the rest of the region. The nearest train station is 7 miles away without a good transit option connecting the two, and the rest of the transit are local busses. It isn't even connected directly to I-95/295 So, if tourists want to use it to get to/from Philadelphia, it's either going to be expensive ride share or taxi service or rental car from the airport. If tourists are using it to get from Nashville, then their options are equally as limited. I imagine many will ask if it's worth the savings to drive all the way from Philadelphia. The Wilmington urban area has less than 500k population, and the northern half of it isn't much closer to Wilmington as it is to Philadelphia Int'l. 

As a resident of northern DE for the past 30 years, I can't dispute any of the litany of hurdles you've listed.  I also have seen the entrance and exits of several commercial flights from Wilmington.  I would still like to offer a different perspective on some of the items you mentioned.   First, the question of whether the terminal is set up for efficient, scheduled service.  Because the airport is so small, getting in and out is a breeze (yes, I have flown from there both commercially and aboard corporate jets).  IMO, efficient, scheduled service would be more a function of the airline than the airport.  Second, the terminal lacks transit options.  So does BNA and many other major airports, so not sure why we're listing that as an impediment.  Amtrak is 5.7 miles away.   Third, it isn't connected directly to I-95.  ILG is literally one mile off I-95 (see map below).  Fourth, expensive ride share or taxi.  How about just driving there and parking?  At $8 per day.    Fifth, driving all the way from Philly.  That's a common ritual of air travel for every person who doesn't live near any airport.  I have to drive to Philly or Baltimore just about every time.  I have driven as far as Newark, NJ for significant enough savings.  $39 one way is fairly compelling.  

I am still happy to see this one and will enjoy if for however long it persists.  Perhaps people's appetite for cost-consciousness has evolved enough to overcome many of the factors you listed.  There are some distinct advantages Wilmington has over Philly and I hope more people discover them and help make this airport much more viable in the future.

image.png.094f7fd301a90c4dd53029c5a4cebb96.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, nashville born said:

As a resident of northern DE for the past 30 years, I can't dispute any of the litany of hurdles you've listed.  I also have seen the entrance and exits of several commercial flights from Wilmington.  I would still like to offer a different perspective on some of the items you mentioned.   First, the question of whether the terminal is set up for efficient, scheduled service.  Because the airport is so small, getting in and out is a breeze (yes, I have flown from there both commercially and aboard corporate jets).  IMO, efficient, scheduled service would be more a function of the airline than the airport.  Second, the terminal lacks transit options.  So does BNA and many other major airports, so not sure why we're listing that as an impediment.  Amtrak is 5.7 miles away.   Third, it isn't connected directly to I-95.  ILG is literally one mile off I-95 (see map below).  Fourth, expensive ride share or taxi.  How about just driving there and parking?  At $8 per day.    Fifth, driving all the way from Philly.  That's a common ritual of air travel for every person who doesn't live near any airport.  I have to drive to Philly or Baltimore just about every time.  I have driven as far as Newark, NJ for significant enough savings.  $39 one way is fairly compelling.  

I am still happy to see this one and will enjoy if for however long it persists.  Perhaps people's appetite for cost-consciousness has evolved enough to overcome many of the factors you listed.  There are some distinct advantages Wilmington has over Philly and I hope more people discover them and help make this airport much more viable in the future.

image.png.094f7fd301a90c4dd53029c5a4cebb96.png

I hope you're right! I'm just afraid they won't be able to sustain the passenger volume they need to keep fares that low.  Wilmington/Avelo could make a good second option for regional flights if they can market themselves effectively, especially if they can run a shuttle between the train and the airport to make it easier to get in and out of Philadelphia without renting a car. I really only bring up the transit because of the good connectivity of PHL to SEPTA Regional Rail, the major competitor. I spent a large part of my life living an hour and a half away from the closest commercial airport, BNA, so I totally understand what the reality of getting to and from the airport for many people is, and that reality is often a long drive.

• Thanks 1