Paramount Tower, 65-68 stories, approx. 750', 200 units, $240 million, Church Street Park

markhollin

Just now, nashwatcher said:

Anyone know what other lots Tony owns that he could move forward with another tower on? Appreciate this guy for all the work he does for our downtown

It would take a lot of work to run them down as they are most if not all set up under different LLC's that would tie back to Giarratana Development or set up under Premier Parking. This is not counting the properties that they may have options to buy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

It's a minor point, but I still wonder how you would stage construction for this small site? You can't take a lane of Church street. The Hermitage Hotel and City Center might agree to losing one lane of 6th, That leaves you with  Anne Dallas Dudley, which I expect Tony expects to be turned over for his use until construction would be finished. I think that's behind his promises to "upgrade" the street. The 505 did a lot with essentially one lane of 5th but it was a lengthy stretch of road and the garage space helped a lot for staging.

I think there would have to be a lot of pre-fab stuff off site, lot's of morning deliveries of materials. Or even thinking a bit over, he could rent out this parking lot and a tower crane could easily reach over and grab stuff all day long. All ideas from someone with no construction experience at all  :tw_glasses:

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 8.52.19 AM.png

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think there would have to be a lot of pre-fab stuff off site, lot's of morning deliveries of materials. Or even thinking a bit over, he could rent out this parking lot and a tower crane could easily reach over and grab stuff all day long. All ideas from someone with no construction experience at all  :tw_glasses:

I though he already owned this lot. Is that right?

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

It's a minor point, but I still wonder how you would stage construction for this small site? You can't take a lane of Church street. The Hermitage Hotel and City Center might agree to losing one lane of 6th, That leaves you with  Anne Dallas Dudley, which I expect Tony expects to be turned over for his use until construction would be finished. I think that's behind his promises to "upgrade" the street. The 505 did a lot with essentially one lane of 5th but it was a lengthy stretch of road and the garage space helped a lot for staging.

Copied from my recent comment from the Centric forum since it is relevant to this: "Street and sidewalk closures should be the exception but in Nashville they are the rule. These projects are VERY doable within a confined footprint but only if the city makes them (see Manhattan, DC, Chicago, and pretty much every other major city).  As long as Nashville allows construction crews to shut down streets whenever they want there is no incentive for them to use their space/time efficiently. Otherwise, they will always take the cheaper/easier option of encroaching on everyone else's space at will."

For this project specifically, tower crane would go up the elevator shaft, most materials stored offsite but close by (pick any surface parking lot nearby and strike a deal with the owner, here the HUGE surface parking lot behind the old Ben West library comes to mind).  Close the lane of Anne Dallas Dudley closest to the site (for staging and temporary COVERED sidewalk) and make half the block one way north (to counter 6th Ave N on the other side which is one way south) but on the north end of of the street, leave it two way for non-through traffic to not impede access to the Hermitage Hotel and other businesses.

No need to shut down an entire street for 2-3+ years. However, of all of the streets to shut down for that long, Anne Dallas Dudley is only a block long with dead ends at either end so this would probably be the LEAST disruptive street closure of all of the ones Nashville has allowed before or currently.

Capture.thumb.JPG.6ae3cf9ea5915c94f24aef3be050fb8b.JPG

1794949786_Capture2.thumb.JPG.53c840451ccd76767aa0fcd645ca2b1b.JPG

Another thought would be utilizing the surface lot on the north side of the 206 Anne Dallas Dudley Blvd. Building just to the north of the park (the one time location of Knickerbocker Theater). I don't know if that's Premier Parking lot or not.  If Premier, then Tony definitely has an "in" there.  ; )

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 9.37.57 AM.png

A tower crane would most likely be placed in the North/North-East corner of the site so it would have access to both parking lots mentioned. But the big ticket item will be the pre-manufactured pieces that @PaulChinetti mentioned. If you look at a project like the Leadenhall Building in London, they had ZERO staging on site and everything was constructed offsite and deliver and assemble straight off the trailer. It is an added coordination effort that owners pay handsomely for, but Nashville should basically require this level of coordination so not to shut down streets.

On another note, I can only imagine the increase in insurance premiums the contractor would have to pay to have a crane boom lift from a staging area and then go up and over an occupied building. Wow! Think about recent events in New Orleans and what would've happened if that incident happened over an occupied building.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The folks at the Historic Capitol Corridor Foundation that are behind keeping Chruch Street Pocket Park appear to be trying a fast one at tonight Council Meeting. Thier plans to revamp the park and keep it from becoming part of the deal for Paramount Tower appear to have been snuck into the agenda.  Some of the council members most involved with the situation like Freddie O'Connell were completely taken by surprise that it is on the docket this evening.

O'Connell will call for a one-meeting deferral for further consideration of the plan:  

O’Connell said that the Hermitage Hotel should be a stakeholder in the process, but “they should not be, in my view, the only stakeholder.” 

“I was genuinely surprised that an administration that spent so much time critical of the lack of transparency about what would happen with this park would step away from the planning process that called for an open, completely transparent RFP,” O’Connell said. “It seems they have selected a single adjacent stakeholder with no community input. I’m just really surprised how we got to this point.”

The mayor's office could not be reached for comment.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/21135959/park-plan-takes-councilmembers-by-surprise

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

The folks at the Historic Capitol Corridor Foundation that are behind keeping Chruch Street Pocket Park appear to be trying a fast one at tonight Council Meeting. Thier plans to revamp the park and keep it from becoming part of the deal for Paramount Tower appear to have been snuck into the agenda.  Some of the council members most involved with the situation like Freddie O'Connell were completely taken by surprise that it is on the docket this evening.

O'Connell will call for a one-meeting deferral for further consideration of the plan:  

O’Connell said that the Hermitage Hotel should be a stakeholder in the process, but “they should not be, in my view, the only stakeholder.” 

“I was genuinely surprised that an administration that spent so much time critical of the lack of transparency about what would happen with this park would step away from the planning process that called for an open, completely transparent RFP,” O’Connell said. “It seems they have selected a single adjacent stakeholder with no community input. I’m just really surprised how we got to this point.”

The mayor's office could not be reached for comment.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro-government/article/21135959/park-plan-takes-councilmembers-by-surprise

Where's the "pissed off" like-vote emoticon ? :angry:

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Anyone have any speculative idea why the GM of the Hermitage Hotel is so interested in keeping it a park?  Seems the riff-raff that congregate there would be a drawback to their property. 

Guessing, but the project would potentially block Church, 6th Ave N., Anne Dudley for extended times and inconvenience the hotel a lot. No hotel wants to be in the same block as a construction project.

• Like 1

I've seen buildings in NYC under construction that are in the middle of a city block that's only two lanes, realistically one because of parking and delivery trucks.  But, I've never seen NYC close off a street to build a new building.  Or shall I say, it's very rare.  The only time I've ever seen a street completely closed off is when the street itself is being modified as part of the development.   One of the tall skinny buildings was built without closing off the street it faces.  So, I don't get why Nashville would have to close off streets to build anything .  I've checked into hotels in NYC that are basically surrounded by scaffolding to protect pedestrians and to allow the hotel to continue operations with minimal interference from construction.  It's part of operating in the city.  At times you'll have to deal with construction projects.  The Hermitage should be negotiating with Tony on providing concierge services to the residential tower he wants to build. Not trying to block it.  And, think about how many residents living that close to the Hermitage would stop in for a drink at the bar or dine in.  Not to mention recommend the hotel for out of town guest if they don't have space to accommodate guests.  

Edited by PillowTalk4
  • Thanks 1