Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I think that (smaller) building will look very nice there separated from the other monoliths along that stretch of Division. Plus, I like the slope of the street and what appears to be retail/restaurant at the corner. Not another apartment building with porte cochere or enclosed lobby. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I think that (smaller) building will look very nice there separated from the other monoliths along that stretch of Division. Plus, I like the slope of the street and what appears to be retail/restaurant at the corner. Not another apartment building with porte cochere or enclosed lobby. 

That stretch has the potential to be a really nice urban corridor, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to achieve that, and I fear that that ship may have already sailed in some respects.  I wish we could get a complete re-do on that Fairfield Inn across the street and the way it addresses (or doesn't) the street.  Also, the overall lack of retail along such a major thoroughfare is very surprising, but perhaps that is only because most of these buildings are fairly new and haven't had time to sign retail tenants?  I'm not sure.  And the power line poles?  Ugh... I know we've been over that ad nauseum and I don't want to belabor the point, but man, those are so bad.  I know this street is still fairly early on into it's transformation into a functional urban street, so maybe my critiques are unfair, but we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors with the way things have been done to this point.  I think I'm being kind when I say that it isn't, as it currently stands, an appealing environment for a pedestrian, and it's understandable why, although this street is lined with high density residential buildings, there still is very little in the way of foot traffic.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

That stretch has the potential to be a really nice urban corridor, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to achieve that, and I fear that that ship may have already sailed in some respects.  I wish we could get a complete re-do on that Fairfield Inn across the street and the way it addresses (or doesn't) the street.  Also, the overall lack of retail along such a major thoroughfare is very surprising, but perhaps that is only because most of these buildings are fairly new and haven't had time to sign retail tenants?  I'm not sure.  And the power line poles?  Ugh... I know we've been over that ad nauseum and I don't want to belabor the point, but man, those are so bad.  I know this street is still fairly early on into it's transformation into a functional urban street, so maybe my critiques are unfair, but we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors with the way things have been done to this point.  I think I'm being kind when I say that it isn't, as it currently stands, an appealing environment for a pedestrian, and it's understandable why, although this street is lined with high density residential buildings, there still is very little in the way of foot traffic.  

I walk along Division every day on my  way to/from work, and this is spot on. It’s consistently shocking how few people are on the sidewalks given the literal thousands of units I’m passing. 

One problem, I think, is that the retail variety is really… strange? Almost every building in the Gulch seems to have a fitness place and/or some kind of salon. The new Modera Gulch literally has two fitness places side-by-side. I don’t understand how it makes economic sense to have so many repeated businesses, but I guess the initial projections are making sense for them. 

• Like 3

Germantown neighborhood my how this has changed since my first in the 1990s.   I went to Monells back in the day and this neighborhood did not look like this! 

This is comparable to the NoDa area of Charlotte a somewhat gritty former industrial area that is rapidly developing.  

20240423_094129.jpg

20240423_094155.jpg

20240423_094217.jpg

20240423_094301.jpg

20240423_094340.jpg

20240423_094421.jpg

20240423_094459.jpg

20240423_094539.jpg

20240423_100210.jpg

20240423_100212.jpg

20240423_101607.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This new Raising Cane's will be their most profitable and busiest location in their entire chain is my prediction.  They will print cash there and I would suggest open very late if not 24 hours!

Last I heard they were not even serving alcohol! Got to be selling a lot of chicken to make that ROI (and they certainly will sell alot)!

They will need to sell a boatload of chicken to make this work. Not making money from alcohol sales on Broadway is gonna make it tough for them. And they will have to pay their staff very well also as they, unlike their coworkers in the clubs, won't be making tips.

I hope they prove so many people wrong, show them that if you got a good product and good staff  that it’s not necessary to serve alcohol to be successful. Lower Broadway is becoming a sinful and disgusting place, embarrassing part of the city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Same reasons I believe a Waffle House would be a sound business decision in that area, but I still believe that LB has gone to far off the edge and needs to clean up its act a bit.

I agree. I really do. You know what we should do. We should walk up and tell Allen Jackson, Kid Rock, John Rich, Garth Brooks, Eric Church, Justin Timberlake, Jason Aldean, Bon Jovi and Blake Shelton: that we don't want no mo bars on Broadway no mo. That's exactly what we should do. I'm the quiet type so I'll let you do the talking.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Cane’s has a cult following that rivals ChicFilA. I expect this location will be wildly successful!

Agreed... but I still, and never will, understand the hype around Raising Cane's... who'd have thought that "lets sell exactly one thing, and make it one thing that every other restaurant on planet earth also sells... and let's make SURE that one thing is only a slightly above average version," would be a brilliant business plan?  

• Thanks 1

I have noticed that the drive through at the RC on White Bridge has now gotten down to manageable status. I go to Dalts and eat a lot, so I drive by there and there as only one car in the drive thru and the parking lot was not full. It was about 1:30.

So, the newness is wearing off. I am not that big on Chick-fil-et or chicken tender places, so I have not been. It really is not on my bucket list. The one thing that drives me crazy with this location is that the crazy folks in Belle Meade did not want the apartment building over there because of traffic, but this POS brought in 3 times as much traffic than the apartment building ever would have and if they had the apartment building, they would have installed a traffic signal at that entrance.

I regress though, all of these places I have not much of a desire to eat at. When I was younger in my 20's I was into the whole fad dining thing but quickly found out it was all hype. 

• Like 4

One of the ways I amuse myself is by dreaming.  Here's a dream that beefs up the old CBD by adding two office towers (red) and two residential towers (blue) with heights designed to add both visual variety and appeal to the overall skyline.

cbdbeefup.thumb.PNG.d73fcb4b6dd74c1f69bbbaf5381760ea.PNG

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3