Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

"The Gulch-SoBro bridge had been a subject of criticism for several years among Nashvillians who have demanded that more city investments should occur in neighborhoods, not just downtown."

I guess people don't consider downtown a neighborhood, even though, ya know people live down there?

Then the money immediately goes to the Charolette Pike-Rosa Parks bridge, which is... DOWNTOWN.  ha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Glad to hear Cooper isn’t completely opposed to the bridge, and it does make sense to free up funding for other infrastructure needs if CSX won’t play ball with the city. 

I think this is pandering for Cooper to be honest. It was approved years ago, right, in Dean's administration? Nothing really has happened since approval, and I bet Cooper knew CSX was making this next to impossible to do. So instead of it dragging out forever, he gets the headline of working for the residents, not downtown. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not discounting the need for more seamless connectivity across the Gulch ─ better accessibility at both south and north portions of the Gulch, now starting to bust at the seams on both sides of that plateau of tracks.  This discussion of the pedestrian bridge  also could be linked to the Transportation thread, as it really relates to that subject as well.

To be fair about the Charlotte/Rosa Parks bridge deck, the bridge deck issue constitutes an infrastructure urgency for downtown and general transport.  Although that portion of Charlotte is not designated as a state highway, it does cross one ─ that same portion of Rosa Parks (US-31/431/41).  The state itself might have some responsibility, IDK, but it is my understanding that generally municipalities maintain the portions passing through their jurisdictions (with some state assistance perhaps, contingent upon the needs and plans).

The bridge carrying 12th Ave. South over I-40 (South Gulch) also is in need of structural repair, and, as a pedestrian over that bridge, I have witnessed several holes of missing concrete at the pedestrian deck itself.  Just saying that many deficiencies in frastructure have developed city-wide, while Metro has become cash-strapped in addressing certain types of ongoing and incurring responsibilities.  G.O.B.'s (General Obligation Bonds) is a common means of funding costly capital improvement projects, but if the city is in the plight that has been reportedly disclosed, then reallocation, if legal, is at least a partially tenable means of, but not a solution to, addressing some of the more urgent needs, that just cannot keep getting deferred indefinitely.  If the city could have been successful by consensus in referendum with a forged transportation plan emphasizing more than focusing on transit, then it might not have been as far "up the creek" as it appears, let alone by the appearance of lopsided localized effects by TIF.

Notwithstanding the notoriety of CSXT in not coming to terms on Air Rights and bridge piers over and directly on its property, an upside of the nixing of the long-awaited ped bridge is that in the long run, it may be more beneficial to more inclusive long-term consolidated transport needs within the Gulch area, including but not limited to transit.  If Nashville, with both State and Federal assistance (perhaps wishful thinking by a long shot), were to implement an integrated and multi-modal transport system ─ local and regional ─ with the prospect of eventually reinstating intercity passenger rail into middle Tennessee (lost in Oct. 1979) along with including intercity bus (Greyhound), then deferring (but not cancelling) the construction of the ped bridge, could be a blessing in disguise.  Piece-meal planning of the ped bridge without regard to other related land-use possibilities has been a sore point with me since it was considered some 7 years ago.

In the long run, it might even be feasible to incorporate Union Station into scalable transport plans, before complete loss of Gulch property through CSXT industrial real estate becomes a reality.  The fact that the transit referendum failed decisively also seems to have galvanized multiple jurisdictions to become involved in a more regional approach.   That in turn makes consensus on funding much more difficult, even for regional transport, let alone local.  The ped bridge should be revisited, with transit mobility as well, because, once the bridge is built, it could become counterproductive to incorporating other land-use plans around it.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, UTgrad09 said:

The Gulch bridge was really an unnecessary project. Given the budget situation, nixing it seems like a no-brainer.

I really was trying to be a tad "delicate" about it myself.  I just ride the coattails of others who call a spade a spade..:)