Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I had never thought about a skyscraper above the Preds' parking garage...but that's a brilliant idea.  It's in the hottest area in town and would be perfect for a hotel (if another is needed) or business/condo tower with ground level entertainment / retail.  And...if they could come up with something on the Broadway side that would tie in with the 5th and Broadway development....all the better!  

I really hope this happens.  It would be great for downtown and bring even more revenue to the Predators' owners and the city.

• Like 2

Can anyone provide information on the (mostly) windowless brick building at the center of this photo? It seems like such a great canvas for a mural or some sort of accent or adornment -- or windows. That view of the skyline is so iconic, I hate that a blank brick wall is front and center.

Gf5omo9.jpg?1

Edited by VSRJ

From what I understand, a lot of the equipment is antiquated inside the structure.  Would love to convince AT&T to redevelop that sight.  Would make a killer hotel locale with some more cool restaurants/clubs on the first floor to balance out the east side of Second Avenue.  If it were 10 series tall, just imagine the views from rooftop cafe/restaurant over "The District" and the Riverfront.  

I like the light show effect, but it'd be too much for the entirety of the wall.

But yes, it's the old switch building for the phone company. The problem with tearing them down or with adaptive reuse is that they're still used to some extent and retained for system redundancy. In addition, these buildings are usually built to extremely tough standards, with thick, reinforced walls, and extremely high load bearing floors. They're basically modern castle keeps. 

• Like 2

A little more info on the possibility of making additions to Bridgestone Arena.

“Nothing’s off the table right now,” Stover said. “We’ve got to look at everything from infrastructure to, do we put a massive band stage that opens up on a Tuesday night and becomes the life of Broadway?”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2016/02/23/bridgestone-arena-additions-development-explored/80817044/

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I just hope they don't mess up the spaceship part of the building, it's a very cool design, not dated at all, and fits the spot beautifully.  It really pulls your eyes upwards and creates a certain flow in the space.  One of the few times I can think of where a little urban plaza in front of a building really works and doesn't end up just empty space. 

Something atop the parking is an excellent idea, and a reworking of the part with the Register's Office and Predator's offices is long overdue.  Let the liveliness begin before you get to 5th.    

Yeah...I actually like the plaza the way it is.  What's wrong with just setting up a "tear-down stage" if they want to do concerts there?  That way...if they need the area for something else the next night...they can have it.

On 2/20/2016 at 3:15 PM, samsonh said:

An earlier article says 18m, which is laughably low. With labor and materials where they are now, I would guess you are talking at least 50 million. 100 million was too high on my part, but his vision of low room rates does not mesh with the price tag he faces with building. 

And I stand by self driving cars being at least 10 years away, most likely longer. The technology is not there, and will need to be tested safely for years before released to the public. I imagine that aspects of self driving will enter newer models, such as auto parking and possibly interstate driving at some point, but there is too much liability for mass adoption anytime in the next 5 years.

Quoting you above not necessarily in direct response to your post but to continue the discussion about this concept.

Frankly, I love it - 100+ rooms catering to millennial travelers at discounted rates makes sense - and my guess would be that 95% of those travelers wouldn't have any problem Ubering from the airport and walking/bike sharing/pedal taverning around town without ever setting foot in a rental car.  The rare traveler who has one can find a surface lot or public garage.  

DTC doesn't require parking so he can do 11 floors of rooms... and maybe even some on the ground floor. It's the Nashville version of Pod Hotel.  Awesome.

• Like 4

On 2/23/2016 at 0:49 PM, VSRJ said:

Can anyone provide information on the (mostly) windowless brick building at the center of this photo? It seems like such a great canvas for a mural or some sort of accent or adornment -- or windows. That view of the skyline is so iconic, I hate that a blank brick wall is front and center.

Gf5omo9.jpg?1

On 2/23/2016 at 2:11 PM, Rockatansky said:

^^^ Gaudy. I'd rather stare at the blank brick wall.

On 2/23/2016 at 3:20 PM, timmay143 said:

I think back in the days of dancing in the district they projected a radio station logo or some type of advertisement on the wall a la batman signal style.

On 2/24/2016 at 6:35 PM, titanhog said:

Those are just examples of light projection, led lighting and banners.  Look past the images and imagine the possibility of something "Nashville" on the wall.

But, yes, something could be done

Here is another example:

25078356262_e27ce0d75c_b_zpsqggmjqer.jpg

• Like 1

It's too perfect of a location to leave blank. I'm not 100% in support of using it as advertising space, but I think anything would be a step up. At the very least, painting those vertical indents (?) a contrasting color would help. Or imagine "Nashville" in neon lights...maybe with a (not gaudy) guitar.

Seems like too large and too prominent a space to use for advertising or a massive portrait.  I don't like the blank wall either, but when I think about how it looks in a skyline picture I think it still looks better than a 15 story Nissan ad or 15 story picture of Shea Weber.  I think a nice colorful mural or just some sort of colorful abstract art would go best there, but that's just me.

We have a blank canvas waiting to be filled here.  With modern projection technology, a variety of amazing things could be shown up there on different occasions.  Not just guitars.  Some might prefer a blank wall, but as a tourist city we don't want to be some kind of tasteful wasteland nobody wants to visit.  People want to experience something amazing when they travel, and the competition among other cities is stiff. 

Sydney_zpsxwxuv6v6.jpg

This isn't a projection, it just looked too cool not to post:

ghent_zpsy0unlzp0.jpg

54ea9b46c8ea0_-_09-paoloburoni-2_zpspaba

paris%20jr-standing-march_zpsgdkuqfyi.jp

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 4

Old church building at Fifth Avenue South and Elm Street may be part of new development….could be an 11-story hotel.  From the Nashville Post:

"Currently the plot that includes the church is owned by and home to Tuck-Hinton Architects. They are not searching for a new home, but are entertaining a buyer for their SoBro property. The 0.77-acre property is for sale for $6.2 million. It is home to a masonry building (once a church) from which Tuck-Hinton operates and with an address of 614 Fifth Ave. S. (See the site here courtesy of Google Maps.)

"Kem Hinton, co-founder of the firm with Seab Tuck, said various options will be considered. "We are not even thinking about moving until we have a signed agreement," Hinton said, adding that a sale could result in the firm potentially staying in the space for a few years afterward.

"The property is zoned to accommodate a building of up to 11 stories tall and offers a conservation easements intended to allow the preservation of the church building facades facing Fifth Avenue South and Elm Street.

"Colliers International broker Vickie Saito is marketing the property. Documents targeting potential buyers show a development option that includes a 161-room hotel that incorporates the church space as a restaurant. Hinton said he is hopeful a buyer will incorporate the existing structure with new construction."

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 1