Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Unicorn_Stampede said:

I'm always fascinated by the opinion that a business should stay in operation for nostalgia regardless of how worthless it's utility is.

Why is it fascinating? It’s like the most natural thing for people to desire businesses they like to stay open. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Unicorn_Stampede said:

I'm always fascinated by the opinion that a business should stay in operation for nostalgia regardless of how worthless it's utility is.

But it's really more of a local historical landmark at this point.  I think peoples' reactions go well beyond 'I remember when I used to get a burger at that fast food joint' when it comes to places like this.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 5:56 PM, bnacincy said:

I don't understand why Paradise Park was ditched in favor of Downtown Sporting Club? 

Anyone have any ideas?

It was my understanding that Paradise Park was doing alright.

As I understand it, that change was more of a rebranding by the owners to try to stand out amongst the honky tonks on Broadway... and now with Garth coming in... it'll be back to cover songs and guitars.
IMHO Paradise Park was more of a hokey/kitschy thing anyway, it didn't fit with the other Strategic Hospitality brands so they tried to class it up but that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Not a great photo but Church Street Park was actually looking like a real park today. >30 people there, no homeless.

B7ED3AFB-986E-4BDF-ABF3-1FF5BEB2B561.jpeg

Well that looks downright pleasant! Who would have thought that park didn’t have to look like a dump. 

12 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

I am amazed that so much expensive residential is going up so close to the nasty Rescue Mission.  Wake up to a passed out bum on your threshold folks.

I would not be surprised to see the Rescue Mission get an offer they can’t refuse given the land prices in the area. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

To be fair, I believe the Rescue Mission does not accept people high on drugs or alcohol. 

There is little fiar about the Mission.  I am aware of agreat deal of corruption in terms of donations .  I have helped the homeles here for almost 2 decades and the ones I helped were the ones smart enough to sleep in alleys in preference to the Mission.  Do you really  think that all those turkeys get fed to the poor homeless instead of ending up in home freezers?  There are folks there that eat at the Missdion and go home iin their newer cars.  There are folks there selling pints of vodka on Sunday when the stores are closed.  They make big bucks.   That and their relious requirements.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

There is little fiar about the Mission.  I am aware of agreat deal of corruption in terms of donations .  I have helped the homeles here for almost 2 decades and the ones I helped were the ones smart enough to sleep in alleys in preference to the Mission.  Do you really  think that all those turkeys get fed to the poor homeless instead of ending up in home freezers?  There are folks there that eat at the Missdion and go home iin their newer cars.  There are folks there selling pints of vodka on Sunday when the stores are closed.  They make big bucks.   That and their relious requirements.  

This is a bizarre post. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And there are people who are in real need who find temporary shelter there, esp during harsh weather months.  Also Room in the Inn nearby recently expanded and they also provide shelter, nutrition to those in need, educational classes on becoming independent including temp living quarters for those who earn it through classes and sometimes working multiple jobs. I  have heard both are maxed out and the mission has been for years esp during winter months.  I frequently volunteer at a mobile food pantry in Spring Hill and have met people with tears in their eyes who have been temporarily laid off from GM, etc., who are in real need just until their circumstances change.  Or an elderly man who just lost his wife and just wants someone to talk to. There are also a few who I have no doubt take advantage of free stuff and are too lazy to earn it, so they leach off the good hearts and resources of others..  There are always bad apples taking advantage of charitable organizations.  That doesn’t mean you just throw the baby out with the bath water, right?  New management maybe - close up shop to people in need where they need it, no. You may say why not over in east or south Nashville? Well then you will have to set up daily shuttles from downtown back and forth. And many are not in any condition physically or mentally to even ride a bus., and you will have to have security screening b4 anyone gets on the bus, as well as security on the bus.  Are a lot of homeless folks  addicts, former cons,  lazy bums?  Sure, but I’ve also met people at the mission who are down on their luck who just need a helping hand. Now can we please get back to economic development? 

• Like 2