Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Is this the lot that must provide parking for The Tennessean if redeveloped?

No, you're thinking of the big fenced-in lot across the Broadway underpass -- it's the one that sits slightly elevated and overlooks 11th Street.

The lot for the future Whiskey Kitchen has been owned by M Street for at least a couple of years, and right now it's used as valet parking for the existing M Street restaurants.

When might the plans for the Mazda dealership be made public?  I know it is closing tomorrow, and am excited to see what happens with the lot. 

On the apartment/condo shortage in the CBD, at what point does it become viable to convert vacant space in existing buildings to residential?   I'm referring to the many 2 - 6 story buildings in the downtown core that have retail/office tenants in the ground floor, but no rent-paying occupants in the upper floors.   We've batted this around before, and the usual issues are cost of renovation and lack of parking for tenants.    But when one looks at the market demand for housing and the escalating rents, the business case for property owners to make the investment is much more compelling today than it was even 3 years ago.    

There may also be a real untapped opportunity here for affordable housing.   Many of these buildings don't offer convenient parking and million dollar views and may be better suited for tenants looking for affordable alternatives.   Granite, bamboo and other luxuries would be unnecessary and renovation costs could be kept in check.    However, I realize it's unlikely that creation of affordable housing units will happen anywhere without incentives.   Definitely something I'd like to see the next mayor and council take on.   (Please no commentary on specific candidates; that can take place in Coffee House)

Just a stretch, but I can see how this might make sense. Hindman is already using that lot for parking for his other restaurants along M Street.  Moving Whiskey down the street, frees up the more prominent corner for the mixed use that is sweeping the Gulch and still allows parking at the new site.  Haven't seen that area in months, but wouldn't the current restaurant site be preferable to new mixed-use or residential?  

Edited by MLBrumby

Just a stretch, but I can see how this might make sense. Hindman is already using that lot for parking for his other restaurants along M Street.  Moving Whiskey down the street, frees up the more prominent corner for the mixed use that is sweeping the Gulch and still allows parking at the new site.  Haven't seen that area in months, but wouldn't the current restaurant site be preferable to new mixed-use or residential?  

Honestly, I don't think that M Street will be anything more than restaurants. Nor do I think it necessarily should be, at least in that stretch. I'm not opposed to it, I just don't think that's how it would play out.

On the apartment/condo shortage in the CBD, at what point does it become viable to convert vacant space in existing buildings to residential?   I'm referring to the many 2 - 6 story buildings in the downtown core that have retail/office tenants in the ground floor, but no rent-paying occupants in the upper floors.   We've batted this around before, and the usual issues are cost of renovation and lack of parking for tenants.    But when one looks at the market demand for housing and the escalating rents, the business case for property owners to make the investment is much more compelling today than it was even 3 years ago.    

There may also be a real untapped opportunity here for affordable housing.   Many of these buildings don't offer convenient parking and million dollar views and may be better suited for tenants looking for affordable alternatives.   Granite, bamboo and other luxuries would be unnecessary and renovation costs could be kept in check.    However, I realize it's unlikely that creation of affordable housing units will happen anywhere without incentives.   Definitely something I'd like to see the next mayor and council take on.   (Please no commentary on specific candidates; that can take place in Coffee House)th

architecturally putting residences above most of the small old buildings is very difficult.  many of the buildings are only 20 to 30 feet wide.  the units require two exits one in the front and one in the rear typically.  With an entrance in the front with an elevator-this usually conflicts with the ground floor retail that needs its frontage to attract customers.  Also it is very expensive to renovate existing buildings.  So between putting in an elevator and have each unit connect to two rated stair towers only a few buildings are suitable for residential renovation.(larger are more suitable buildings).  Also most building have few windows except corner buildings -most apartments need windows in living rooms and bedrooms to be desirable. 

• Like 2