Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

7 hours ago, codypet said:

I actually find myself crossing from the bridge down Park Lake to Magnolia and continue north right now

Same.  Seems to be the easiest route from the bridge to the trail along Lake Highland. ALSO...the Dinky Line Train mural (between Virginia and Ferris Ave) has been restored. For those who don't know..it got graffiti/tagged awhile back. I would pass by there and often see the artist painting it. Nice guy. Anyway...I don't know if they were able to scrub the grafitti off or if the artist just repainted it...but it is back...and looks like it never got altered. Just passing this info along. Cheers. JRC.

• Like 2

The path along Division seems to be moving along nicely. The section from Kaley SB to Michigan is about 90% complete. The section from Gore to Kaley is 50%ish, but moving fast. I still have no idea how they will get around the big tree (pic).

Didn't I read somewhere the Nassal property sold and was expected to be apartments? This would be a nice tie in to them. Those big concrete firms don't seem inclined to move along soon, though.

Also, it looks like the path my leave Division at Piedmont (just S of Gore) and jog over to Hughey to cross Gore and align with the soon to be Sylvia Ln/ Boone Av extension to get downtown...???

Anyone involved in these, please correct my assumptions and please tell me how they plan to proceed south of Michigan?

Division Tree.JPG

On 8/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, codypet said:

I actually find myself crossing from the bridge down Park Lake to Magnolia and continue north right now.  They're putting a light on Weber right?

Agreed on Orange SB.  There's too many lanes between Colonial and Robinson SB on Orange anyway .  It could go on a diet.

No light on Weber if the original concept is still in play. Orange crossing is a diagonal at Marks. Magnolia crossing is without a signal. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I exited my office on Orange yesterday for the first time in about a week and WOW what a shock it was to pull out from Marks and see NO TREES AT ALL.  Just bare wall of that Park apartments.  I knew the trail was going to take some parking space but dang all those trees had to come down?   I'm sure new ones will go up, but still a shock.  I mean judging by this pic, the trunks are I guess right in the way.

image.thumb.png.63c9f9eae52bbcaf54c69f2b94e2cc41.png

20210916_120016.jpg

Edited by codypet
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, codypet said:

Well I exited my office on Orange yesterday for the first time in about a week and WOW what a shock it was to pull out from Marks and see NO TREES AT ALL.  Just bare wall of that Park apartments.  I knew the trail was going to take some parking space but dang all those trees had to come down?   I'm sure new ones will go up, but still a shock.  I mean judging by this pic, the trunks are I guess right in the way.

image.thumb.png.63c9f9eae52bbcaf54c69f2b94e2cc41.png

20210916_120016.jpg

Wow! Significant.  Taking the street parking and making a separated bike path would have been a much better alternative than to lose a nice street tree segment.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, codypet said:

I biked down Orange Ave (from Lake Highland) on Sunday and can confirm it is a disaster area. It is completely "busted up"  in that stretch....trees down (some still laying on the ground)..stumps exposed....sidewalk broken up as well.  Lots of road barriers in place. Wasn't expecting that amount of demolition. The "existing" bike lane is still there (barely). Temporary barriers are in place along Magnolia also (around Weber). No activity on Weber Street (between Magnolia and Orange) other than recently completely drainage related (I think) stuff. If the new trail section leads to (and from) the Colonial overpass bridge I'm still not sure why parking is going to be removed from the west side of Orange Ave south of the bridge overpass to Colonial. Oh well.  No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

Heads up for all you "Long Rangers".....the Layer Elementary gap on Cross Seminole Trail is complete. I ventured to Big Tree Park on Sunday and the new section is fully rideable (complete with trail railroad crossing signals/flashers/arms at the tracks). Very nice. No worries and happy biking. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Heads up for all you "Long Rangers".....the Layer Elementary gap on Cross Seminole Trail is complete. I ventured to Big Tree Park on Sunday and the new section is fully rideable (complete with trail railroad crossing signals/flashers/arms) at the tracks. Very nice. No worries and happy biking. Cheers.

Is that the one that connects through the scrapyard and mulch pile industrial area? Have not been up there in a while, but that was a critical connection need with that weird industrial dirt road and goat path. Hahaha. 

That's exciting!  I'll have to get up there this winter.  Wonder if the bike shortage has finally ended.  One of my bigger regrets of procrastinated purchases "to do more research" in January 2020.  My generic Schwinn from Target (that I've bought 5 of since starting college) is on its last legs.

Edited by AndyPok1

11 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

That's exciting!  I'll have to get up there this winter.  Wonder if the bike shortage has finally ended.  One of my bigger regrets of procrastinated purchases "to do more research" in January 2020.  My generic Schwinn from Target (that I've bought 5 of since starting college) is on its last legs.

It has.  Unlike cars Retro City is well stocked.  

Long term plan is to get a full suspension mountain bike to replace my mountain bike and keep my current bike for road duty.  Right now swapping out the tires for each kind of riding has worked out really really well so far.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Is that the one that connects through the scrapyard and mulch pile industrial area?

Yeah. The scrapyard is completely bypassed now. The new trail also slips right past (and around) the mulch area. There is a chainlink fence between the trail and mulch pile as you cross the railroad tracks. There is very little seperation between the two as the new trail connects to the old in the "goat path" area (and no fencing there). There is the potential for a little sloppy debris spillage along the fence and around the curve....so be on the lookout for stray mulch there. All in all it is a nice new section and a MUCH NEEDED (and long overdue) improvement to CST.

spacer.png

Cheers. JRC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:16 PM, spenser1058 said:

Alright, all you trailies , time to Meet & Greet:

https://bungalower.com/2021/09/28/orlando-bike-coalition-adds-seven-new-board-directors/

From Bungalower 

Members from Affording Housing advocacy group Orlando YIMBY will be present at this Meet and Greet!  Looking forward to chatting with other members of this board about Biking Advocacy in Orlando.

Edited by YimbyOrlando
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, YimbyOrlando said:

Members from Affording Housing advocacy group Orlando YIMBY will be present at this Meet and Greet!  Looking forward to chatting with other members of this board about Biking Advocacy in Orlando.

I will be there if my schedule permits. The Milk District's board president should be there too!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, codypet said:

This was something interesting I noticed on the new Birds.  I don't think their speeds are any faster than the old ones so I'm curious as to why they put that there. 

20211018_203514.jpg

Some cities are ticketing riders for using the sidewalk — NYC and Santa Monica come to mind. Perhaps Bird is “reminding” it’s riders that the sidewalk is off limits?