Trails / Bicycle Infrastructure

WAJAS

It’s wonderful if it’s authentic but my hair is incredibly straight (pause for irony check).

I first met Buddy in 1990 or so, and, unless he’s ironing it every night, his is as flat as mine.

*thinking about ironing my hair makes me just go, “Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!” *

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Some of Central Florida’s parks and trails are open again, while others are still recovering from the aftermath of Hurricane Ian’s flooding:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/central-florida-explorer/os-et-central-florida-trails-recover-hurricane-ian-help-20221009-7i6ilcv4cbhwpiwj53o6zexnne-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• 2 months later...

New Seminole trail in Midway will be ‘perfect opportunity’ for community ‘to thrive’
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-county-midway-recreational-trail-20221223-iqvt5vyo7rajzgosuhjlljgcea-story.html

From The Sentinel 

“…(C)ounty officials will soon begin designing the planned Midway Loop, a nearly 2-mile trail for walkers, runners and bicyclists that will wrap around an 85-acre stormwater pond just north of State Road 46 and Millennium Middle School.”

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

The Lake Baldwin "loop" trail is finally fully open again. For those who don't know...a section of trail (just west of the "two docks area") washed out and collapsed due to Hurricane Ian. Recently you'd have to detour through downtown BP and pick up the trail again on Lakemont Ave (or vice versa). Thousands of large rocks (or are they small boulders?) have been piled up along the southwest shore of Lake Baldwin to create a breakwater and prevent further storm-related erosion. The "washed out" area of trail has finally been replaced. One (of the two docks) is open again. The other is almost ready. I had attempted to bike around the lake a few days after Ian and several sections of the trail were submerged in several feet of water and BOTH docks were below the water line. Absolutely surreal. Hopefully that won't happen again (also...the flooding around Lake Davis and Delaney/Lancaster Parks was unbelievable...I only mention it because I frequent those neighborhoods on my runs and rides).

Little Econ Greenway is still closed (at least parts of it are). I tried to bike it on Sunday (from Cady Way) and got stopped by barricades just east of Goldenrod Road. Not sure how bad it is.

Thanks, this is good to know.  

These are two of the walks we've enjoyed a few times since I retired. 

13 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

The Lake Baldwin "loop" trail is finally fully open again. For those who don't know...a section of trail (just west of the "two docks area") washed out and collapsed due to Hurricane Ian. Recently you'd have to detour through downtown BP and pick up the trail again on Lakemont Ave (or vice versa). Thousands of large rocks (or are they small boulders?) have been piled up along the southwest shore of Lake Baldwin to create a breakwater and prevent further storm-related erosion. The "washed out" area of trail has finally been replaced. One (of the two docks) is open again. The other is almost ready. I had attempted to bike around the lake a few days after Ian and several sections of the trail were submerged in several feet of water and BOTH docks were below the water line. Absolutely surreal. Hopefully that won't happen again (also...the flooding around Lake Davis and Delaney/Lancaster Parks was unbelievable...I only mention it because I frequent those neighborhoods on my runs and rides).

Little Econ Greenway is still closed (at least parts of it are). I tried to bike it on Sunday (from Cady Way) and got stopped by barricades just east of Goldenrod Road. Not sure how bad it is.

The Urban Trail connector from Summerlin to Lake Underhill is fully rideable now. Cross street intersections are a little bumpy (it's a curb thing) but it is very nice overall. The trail gets a little narrow (in spots) but is looking good for the most part. The city planted a lot of new trees (the usual Oaks and Myrtles) along the Greenwood Wetlands/Cemetary area and even some along the neighborhoods between Hampton and Underhill.  Special attention was paid to the Anderson/Crystal Lake intersection with added crosswalk signals to head north or east. As the trail hits Lake Underhill there is a VERY dodgy crosswalk at the curve transition (from Anderson to Underhill Road). I know how sketchy that spot can be but I worry about new trail users. I do not see any indication of new crosswalk signals there. It is a very awkward (and partially blind) crosswalk. I will report back later if there are updates. ALSO..the last few days the city has plopped sod down to fill in vacant areas along the trail. Good stuff. Also...why did I think the trail would stretch west to Delaney Avenue? It doesn't..but no worries. Just my dodgy memory, I reckon. No worries.

Also...A Happy New Year to all you good local peeps out there . Cheers. JRC.

That sucks about Greenway. Was just thinking about taking a longer ride out to UCF on the greenway once my legs get back a bit. 

As for OUT.  The last time I ran it the walk signals across Magnolia were not operational yet for the main green crosswalk, so I had to go North up to the light to cross. Are they operational now?

Just now, dcluley98 said:

That sucks about Greenway. Was just thinking about taking a longer ride out to UCF on the greenway once my legs get back a bit. 

As for OUT.  The last time I ran it the walk signals across Magnolia were not operational yet for the main green crosswalk, so I had to go North up to the light to cross. Are they operational now?

Sorry, I thought you were talking about OUT connector, but then realized you meant the one along South street. 

I guess I will check on OUT next time out.

• 2 months later...

About lost my ass running on the North Quarter section of the OUT tonight. 

They need to put some stop signs and green crossings out of the apartment complexes there. 

Was trying to run and somebody pulled fastly across the trail to try to turn in front of me, looking only left for the one-way traffic on orange, and not maybe even knowing that was a trail. 

I tried to hoof behind them but rolled on a curb and ate it bad. 

Right in front of the restaurant of poeple. 

Like it was my fault. 

That wasn't my fault. 

Ouch. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

They need to put some stop signs and green crossings out of the apartment complexes there. 

Was trying to run and somebody pulled fastly across the trail to try to turn in front of me, looking only left for the one-way traffic on orange, and not maybe even knowing that was a trail. 

Like it was my fault. 

That wasn't my fault. 

Ouch. 

hate to see bad things happen to good Gators.

I've ridden my mountain bike to downtown before...and...I swear it's a good thing my neck is healthy b/c I cannot tell you the number of times my head spun like in The Exorcist- because...I don't trust drivers.  Even while driving, I assume they don't see me...

On 4/12/2023 at 2:57 AM, dcluley98 said:

Like it was my fault. 

That wasn't my fault. 

Ouch. 

I hear you. Biking that stretch is much easier heading south (as you said drivers are rubbernecking north). Not sure what happened to the "green crosswalk" initiative. So many bike crosswalks are still faded or worn out. I thought that all of them (considered part of the trail networks) would have gotten the green treatment by now.  I have constant issues with cars stopped in the middle of the crosswalks behind Fashion Square. That being said...just because a crosswalk is "green" doesn't guarantee it is safe. I almost got nailed at Fairgreen Street today (after hitting the crosswalk signal and waiting for the right of way). Orlando drivers are the worst. Hope you are okay. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

Rode the entire Casselberry trail network today. It's all open and clear. I was worried that areas along Cassel Creek (I think that is what it is called) and near the Casselberry golf course might have washed out after Ian...but apparently there was no lasting damage. Little Econ Greenway still has areas closed currently. Also..(on the Urban Trail) the North Quarter crosswalk signals at Weber and Magnolia were " uncovered" and functioning the last few times I have biked through there. It is still an awkward place to cross the street. Be on your guard (he Gandalf'd).  I've also noticed quite a few folks using the new Anderson St section of the UT as well... so that is good to see. No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1