Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

54 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Lower bowl is mostly full.  Maybe 20k?  Brazil played Japan earlier today.  Can't believe there wasn't any big news about this.  A really big event.  To me, someone dropped the ball.

Wow, I hadn't heard of it either!  Shocking that it got so little press.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

22,500.  I was there.  Not a horrible crowd.  I’ve seen billboard ads and FB ads.  I guess when you’re in the “kids play club soccer” circle, you’re aware of these things constantly. 

That really isn’t terrible, particular given it’s cold and February. We would have gotten 35k I bet had it been in the summer. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hirtme said:

Nashville SC announcing Gary Smith will manage the MLS team next year at a press conference tomorrow. I'm not a fan of this move, but I understand it and trust Jacobs I think. 

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1102954738016911362

Not an exciting hire, their style of play is extremely boring.  We will see if they look better this season with the better attack players they signed during the offseason, anything short of winning the league is a failure this season. 

1 hour ago, TheRaglander said:

Do we know anything about a broadcasting partner?   Something like Fox Sports South or the ESPN+ package?

It would likely be Fox Sports Tennessee/South...however, with the boondoggle that is now the break up of the Fox RSNs because of Disney's Fox purchase...who knows?

11 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

It would likely be Fox Sports Tennessee/South...however, with the boondoggle that is now the break up of the Fox RSNs because of Disney's Fox purchase...who knows?

I'm very curious as to what kind of radio coverage we will get from 104.5 and 102.5.  I know college sports, football and Preds hockey rule the airwaves.  Although 3HL is like listening to paint dry sometimes.  And Jared and the GM... poor GM is clueless with hockey and Jared is clinically insane.  Hope they will bring in some soccer-specific personalities.  

I have to be a bit honest... I am nervous about soccer in Nashville right now.  The stadium is outside of core downtown, the fiasco with the fairgrounds, the poor buy-in with the logo, the lack of any real PUBLIC excitement for the MLS team given they play next year, team management, social media confusion with the USL...   I really hope things pick up a bit more this summer.

Winning games will lead to (more) fan excitement. The first year in Nissan Stadium will help with fans becoming more familiar with the team.

Wedgewood Houston is a cool, urban neighborhood. It’s the same distance to Bridgestone arena as Vanderbilt Stadium. It’s not like it’s in Symrna or Gallatin. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Winning games will lead to fan excitement. 

Wedgewood Houston is a cool, urban neighborhood. It’s the same distance to Bridgestone arena as Vanderbilt Stadium. It’s not like it’s in Symrna or Gallatin. 

I never said anything about it not being a cool neighborhood.  Also, I am not sure why you're comparing it to Vanderbilt Stadium.  No one goes there either.  :tw_lol:

The whole "winning games will lead to excitement" argument is stale.  I am always excited for the teams I root for.  I may be a little disappointed at times... but I am always excited for them.  The specific excitement I am talking about is the "new fan" excitement for coming into a new city.   The Preds were afforded a few amazing perks:  an arena on Broadway, an incredible marketing team and a large population of hockey fans who relocated from the burbs of Detroit and Chicago.   I want MLS to succeed here and plan on getting a ticket package.  The bumpy take-off (so far) is just frustrating.  Speaking of which... any new renderings of the stadium?

• Like 2

The social media feel definitely and just general PR of the team very much has the feel of the failed Transportation vote. Lots of people that want to be interested but no reach out from the team on social media and stuff. 

Hopefully they will get their acts together. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I never said anything about it not being a cool neighborhood.  Also, I am not sure why you're comparing it to Vanderbilt Stadium.  No one goes there either.  :tw_lol:

The whole "winning games will lead to excitement" argument is stale.  I am always excited for the teams I root for.  I may be a little disappointed at times... but I am always excited for them.  The specific excitement I am talking about is the "new fan" excitement for coming into a new city.   The Preds were afforded a few amazing perks:  an arena on Broadway, an incredible marketing team and a large population of hockey fans who relocated from the burbs of Detroit and Chicago.   I want MLS to succeed here and plan on getting a ticket package.  The bumpy take-off (so far) is just frustrating.  Speaking of which... any new renderings of the stadium?

You have concerns about it being outside of the downtown core. I do too, and I wish it was next to Bridgestone Arena or Nissan Stadium, but as for places outside of downtown core, Wedgewood Houston is certainly still urban and part of Nashville, like Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt Stadium, tons of people go to the games (just supporting the away team)! Vanderbilt is also outside of the downtown core, but still an urban part of Nashville.

I disagree (respectfully) on the winning games = excitement as stale. I am just saying, we could have the coolest logo and social media team, but if the team is losing 8-0 every game, no one will care. If we win the MLS cup, no is going going to complain about the social media.  

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1