River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

My preference would be to have buildings of modest height along the river with heights climbing as you go towards the Dickerson Pk, mimicking the way the CBD rises behind the historic brick buildings along 1st and 2nd.  Tall buildings along the shore would just be a blank wall, less visually interesting.

Once the pedestrian bridge is built and a few hundred people are living, and park/water aspects are attracting people from all around, there it'll be easier for retail etc. to develop, and then a hotel and taller buildings.  Has to go in steps.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Matthew Robinson, the principal at MRP Realty, which 3 months ago bought a 16 acre slice of River North for $42.5 million, said he's aiming to make a statement at the outset, front-loading what could be a three-phase project instead of spacing out various buildings more evenly. Robinson also revealed new details about the project's first phase, which will include 650 apartments, 90,000 square feet of retail and 50,000 square feet of office. A 4-acre public park will run directly along the riverfront, with plans calling for a pedestrian bridge to Germantown.

Robinson disclosed the price tag for that first phase ($220 million), MRP's contractor (Archer Western), the expected start and end date (beginning of the second quarter in 2020; opening about two years later), and status of financing (equity secured, construction loan to follow as that work nears).

Here is some of the Q&A:

You're talking about going big right out of the gate. Why? Just doing one building would be disastrous. The first phase has to be pretty large, because we're setting the standard for a new submarket. … Most people wouldn't start with 650 [apartment] units. That's a lot to bring online at the same time. But you kind of have to start with scale when you develop a place. It’s an Opportunity Zone, so we have a 10-year horizon. We’re making decisions for the long-term.

How do you see this all unfolding?  River North overall, I think you'll see a lot more high-rises later. We're able to go up to 34 stories. But first you need to establish the place, create an environment where people want to be. You lead with residential and retail. And then the office will come, and the office brings along hotels. It daisy-chains along. … We're trying to build a brand, and putting a limited-service hotel there is not on-brand. Hotel operators need to see the office employment over there before they come in.

Given its size and location, River North is a logical contender for big office relocations. If one of those lands in your new backyard, how would that change your thinking? We need to go on something now. If a company like Oracle were to land behind us, we'd probably go higher-density. Our base-level assumption is that we can do more [apartments] in the next phase. But all of a sudden, if Oracle was behind us, we'd probably go with more office.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/10/04/developer-of-220m-river-north-site-its-basically-a.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 7.21.23 AM.png

Ah! Howe Daaaarrreee They!

Now where are the pearls?

Edited by Ingram
misspelling
  • Confused 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, KariKnux said:

This is one of the developments I'm most looking forward to. Having just moved here, it seems like Nashville doesn't have a ton of master-planned mixed use ("live, work, play") developments, but it seems like this development would definitely classify.

Welcome to Nashville, and welcome to the forum, KariKnux!   : )

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:21 PM, KariKnux said:

Thanks! Coming from the Nova/DC area and I'm pretty sure I was the only one who followed development news around there.... It's awesome having so many people keeping us updated (especially you and smeagolsfree!) with news and pictures. Looking forward for what's to come!

I spent 5 years in NOVA (Arlington and Alexandria) before moving to the UK. If I recall correctly there was one other poster on the Nashville forum that lived in the area! Welcome to Nashville, though!