River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

It will be somewhat dense and not like the crap that is One bellevue Place. The more I have been too and experianced that project the less I like it.

My biggest concern here is what are they going to do about flooding? During the 2010 flood, that entire are west of Cowan was under water and part of Dickerson road as well as I 24. 

If they build it without any type of flood remediation, then we are potentially looking at another disaster at some point.

The other thing that bothers me it the East bank really needs towait on the west bank to be finished. When you have two large projects like that on either side of the river it could be a good thing or a bad thing as they could hurt each other or feed off each other. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

If they build it without any type of flood remediation, then we are potentially looking at another disaster at some point.

That's for sure. My impression based on the close-up sketches was that they're elevating the area a bit, with a steep wall along the river front. I'm sure they'll have to do more than that but the current drawings are definitely on the "artistic impression" side of things, so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing ends up looking quite different. I can't imagine a tenant signing up without assurances that the place won't flood again.

I'm really glad this is happening, at any scale. I once had the strange idea to walk to Little Harpeth (just south of the TopGolf site) from Centennial Park (took over an hour) .. I knew things were desolate by car on the east side of the river, but on foot it was just a whole other league of nothingness. I couldn't believe that all I had done was walk across a bridge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ingram said:

The development is not a mall. It's going to have hundreds of thousands of square feet of office, residential, and retail. What's to complain about other than it doesn't have the high rises from the initial rendering that everyone was whining about in the first place.

The lack of any height is exactly what I’m not thrilled about. I’m not losing my mind over it, just not thrilled. Hopefully we’ll see some height in another phase. This phase will be the start of installing some of the essential bones for a corporation to locate here. Also, the providence remark was mostly sarcasm. 

Edited by subkyle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

If you're ever in Washington, DC go over to the area called District Wharf and you'll experience the vision that the developers have for the Landings at River North.   I believe one of the developers was heavily involved in the District Wharf project.  Just looking at what they are developing Nashville made me immediately think about District Wharf in DC. Here's a link to the District Wharf website.

District Wharf - Washington, DC

I live not far from District Wharf and it's a great area. Designed super well and relatively well connected to public transit and walking trails (they also have an awesome concert venue). The development has truly transformed the area. I will say one thing that I think is important that these developers consider though: Diversity of price points in retail/dinning options. The Wharf is beautiful and I spend a lot of time walking around over there, but I do not go out to eat/drink much there because of the around 20 dinning options they have only 4 are not astronomically priced. So, if it wasn't for me living very close I don't know how often I would choose the Wharf as a destination. I've heard other recent college/graduate school grads say the same thing about the prices there. 

I can't help but think this could be effecting cashflows of the business there because locals are not making it a "regular destination." The development is two years out from it's opening date and there is still a ton of street level retail space that is not filled yet, which leads me to believe the rent is also too high for the area (maybe contributing to the food prices). 

Either way it was a great addition to the city, but just something to think about. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

If you're ever in Washington, DC go over to the area called District Wharf and you'll experience the vision that the developers have for the Landings at River North.   I believe one of the developers was heavily involved in the District Wharf project.  Just looking at what they are developing in Nashville made me immediately think about District Wharf in DC. Here's a link to the District Wharf website.

District Wharf - Washington, DC

They've created a really nice atmosphere and vibe.   It is a really good mix of small retail, restaurants, personal services, hotels, condos and apartments.  All of the parking is underground so it makes the area really pedestrian friendly.   While it is very adult oriented in terms of the bars and restaurants, there are kid friendly things to do as well.  Kids seem to love one of the piers with the giant swings and there's a fountain that they enjoy as well.  They also included giant games for kids to play like checkers and scrabble.  And, there's an area that they switch out from ice-skating during cooler months to miniature golf in the warmer months.   I truly hope the Nashville project will be equally as successful as District Wharf is so far.  I was just there a week ago hanging out with a friend from Nashville in town on business and he stayed in the DW, and he said it would be great to have something like that in Nashville.  I must have been psychic because I said I had a gut feeling that the development called River North planned for Cowan Street would probably start out like this.   I was returning from NYC on Amtrak when I read the article in the Tennessean about the Landings at River North project.   So, I see a 65 story building being announced and with construction starting in the next year for Nashville...  ;)

One other thing they do at DW is provide water taxis between the DW and other areas along the Potomac River.  So I wonder if they'll do the same between Riverfront Park and the Landings.

Side note:  I didn't realize CityHeart had already referenced District Wharf, but I hope you guys will look at the website for DW.  You'll see it is far more than an outlet mall shopping center.  This is an area that could easily become a playground primarily for locals without the over abundance of tourist needing to support it for it to be successful.  I think Nashvillians need more areas like that.  The area that the District Wharf is in isn't really a major tourist area.  You see tourist around, but it is primarily people who live in and around DC that hang out in the DW.  If you consider the whole area that the DW is in, the land mass is probably about the size of the East Bank in Nashville.  It has become the fastest growth area in DC.    It includes the Nationals baseball stadium and DC United's soccer stadium.  It's very walk-able and it has a lot of energy.

Hopefully this development will be similar. I hope they can also add the intercontinental that is in the wharf district as well. It seems odd that this project would have no hotel component considering its location and amenities

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

There is so much space over there that is currently empty. 

RiverNorth_1.jpg

RiverNorth_2.jpg

A5C4739A-B8C0-44C8-B371-CFC3ADB078FD.jpeg.da5cfde2f868c0eaa8e9904f1b28bb98.jpeg

Nice pics. So in your second drone pick, the long shed along the water in the bottom left it looks like (based on rendering) will be the one that the structure is kept and then it is reskinned with glass. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Nice pics. So in your second drone pick, the long shed along the water in the bottom left it looks like (based on rendering) will be the one that the structure is kept and then it is reskinned with glass. 

That’s what I was thinking too. 

11 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

Hopefully this development will be similar. I hope they can also add the intercontinental that is in the wharf district as well. It seems odd that this project would have no hotel component considering its location and amenities

It would be nice but I don't see a hotel like the Intercontinental locating in that area of Nashville right now.  If Intercontinental opens a hotel in Nashville it will probably be in downtown or mid-town.  The District Wharf in DC is located in close proximity to other businesses, federal government offices and tourist attractions.  An Intercontinental in Nashville will probably want to be within walking distance of the MCC to take advantage of the convention business.  I also think they would want a facility that exceeds 7-10 stories.  I could see the initial hotels for the landings being along the lines of a Canopy Hotel by Hilton and Hyatt House.  Both of which are in District Wharf in DC.  Other hotels that might be a good fit as initial hotels for The Landings at River North would include Hyatt Centric, Four Points by Sheraton, Element by Westin, AC by Marriott and ALoft by Marriott.  All of those hotels would fit into the vibe for a development like The Landings.  They can all be designed into a multi faceted building that includes residential, retail and restaurants or they can stand alone but fit into the design scheme of the development.  One thing about the District Wharf is that there is an aesthetic to create a cohesive feel throughout the development.  There are slight variations within that aesthetic that create interest and keeps the development from being bland. 

• Like 1

Regarding a hotel:  Perhaps the developers realize that with the TopGolf folks building the dual brand Courtyard by Marriott/Fairfield Inn (14 stories, 190 rooms) just a quarter of a mile to the south, that they might serve enough of the area to start with.  The Landings group certainly has long range plans for hotel(s) in the project, but they might feel things are a bit remote from the tourist district as well as corporate business partners initially. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Based on the renderings (and the fantastic Southern Drove Services photos posted above), would this be an accurate outline of where The Landings site will be located, along with the future River North area?

futureproject.thumb.jpg.7007424d7896665453f277228ca06ac3.jpg

I guess this really doesn't matter, but I think I would have preferred for the development of that area to be flipped.  I just think it would have been more appealing to have Top Golf at the north end of the development, the Landings in the middle and the remaining development originally detailed concentrated to the south but appropriately mixed in throughout. 

Also, and I know this is really dreaming, but it would be really cool if the swath of land that runs between the interstate and Dickerson Pike was developed with 10 to 20 story buildings, as well as the land the runs on the northbound side of Cowan Street.  That would make a really nice approach into the city.

9 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I guess this really doesn't matter, but I think I would have preferred for the development of that area to be flipped.  I just think it would have been more appealing to have Top Golf at the north end of the development, the Landings in the middle and the remaining development originally detailed concentrated to the south but appropriately mixed in throughout. 

Top Golf is its own thing. I think they snagged their parcel before the River North guys could.

• Like 1