Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

Does anyone remember the MAG proposal? That awesome two tower project that was floated around, at the now Tishman-Spayer site. That had a great elevated walkway spanning KVB , an idea that should be considered within all the new projects hopefully coming to that area. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:02 PM, Luvemtall said:

Wondering how the retail / commercial space is going to work out, kinda isolated and disconnected from the hustle of Downtown. And crossing KVB anywhere near that intersection without being in a tank is frightening at best.

I'm thinking just as Baronakim is.  Once the likes of Park Place, Centrum, The Miles, and 4th and Peabody come online and are then combined with the foot traffic of the hotels south and west of MCC, the center should have ample patronage.

• Like 2

Oh, that I agree with. The question is WHEN those developments happen! I’m still trying to be optimistic and hold out for that day, but with each passing month and nothing seems to me moving hopes are dwindling. Thought we would have had more info and rendering of Tishman project and actual construction on the others by now. But nada, those clowns at City Lights are holding things up in the legal system just like a certain other more known individual whom we shall keep quiet about.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Oh, that I agree with. The question is WHEN those developments happen! I’m still trying to be optimistic and hold out for that day, but with each passing month and nothing seems to me moving hopes are dwindling. Thought we would have had more info and rendering of Tishman project and actual construction on the others by now. But nada, those clowns at City Lights are holding things up in the legal system just like a certain other more known individual whom we shall keep quiet about.

Who is the individual along with the City Lights folks that is using the legal system to hold up these projects? Is it Cooper? Is Freddie O'Connell filing a lawsuit to put a transit station at those sites?

Edited by Argo
  • Like 1

No one other than the development companies are holding up most of the projects in Nashville right now as they are either waiting on better financing rates or other cost to come down. Some may be waiting for the housing market to settle a little. I think the City Lights issue will be settled soon because their options now are few. I really do not think the SS Court will hear the case.

I do not know who any certain person who could be holding a project up. Right now it is the market conditions that have put a lot of projects on hold. Some of these will not survive and some will. The larger the company the better chances a project has.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

I apologize , I don’t want to make this a political thing and it’s definitely not my intention to go any further. 

Then don't.

49 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

This is a development forum and I will keep it that way

So why would you bring in politics if this is a development forum? It makes no sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I do think the right to litigation has always been there and always will be.  In this case I do not think DT had anything to do with it. People have been using the legal system to try to stop projects for a long time. They are called NIMBYS and are not always right leaning. Many times, they are left leaning activists trying to stop a project on environmental grounds and have been successful in doing so.  These folks were ultra wealthy folks that sued because their million dollars views in their eyes were going to be corrupted. Well, they should not have moved to a changing city IMO! That is the risk you take when moving anywhere. 

In America you can sue anyone for anything, but it does not mean you will win. If you have the money, you can keep someone tied up in court for years. The problem is if they have the money, because if they lose, then they have to pay all of the cost to the winner. So, you have to be prepared for the consequence of failure if you do sue and lose. That is the way our legal system works. Right now, it is working against DT or have you guys not been following the news, so this argument is a moot point. Sorry LUVEMTALL, but in this case I have to disagree and take the counter points side. As a MOD you guys think I am all left or all right, but I do have to try and be fair on issues. I just do not want to see things get out of hand and I try to see reason, but there is not argument to be had here.

I do think the CL folks' suit was frivolous, but it was their right to sue under the law. Just like a lot of the NIMBY'S out there that sue for no good reason and there are some YIMBY'S that do the same thing. Tishman Speyer is not delayed for any other reason than the economy right now either. A lot of companies are slow walking their projects. Some may be waiting on the elections, but I think most are waiting on the housing market in Nashville to muddle out of the mess that a lot of the cities are in right now.

With this being said.................................END OF DISCUSSION FOR ALL OF YOU AND NO SLY COMMENTS FROM ANAYONE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I know I’ll probably get reprimanded for this, because the first amendment apparently only applies to certain people. But I tried being polite and respectful making a statement with enough overtone to get my opinion out. But sense it seems that some might just not get it, I’ll be a bit more open. I was saying that the people from City Lights are trying to use the legal system and it’s undeniable snails pace to piss off the development companies to the point that hopefully they pull the projects. And my reference to another well know individual, was of course a nod to Donald Trump who is also using the same legal system to his advantage to prolong any true justice be served. And of course it’s the same legal system that he states is deplorable and he will get rid of asap, in true hypocritical fashion. I apologize , I don’t want to make this a political thing and it’s definitely not my intention to go any further. This is a development forum and I will keep it that way

Totally agree with you!!!!

• Like 2

I don't mind projects being slowed down by people using their rights to sue etc. NIMBY or YIMBY to be clear.

I think there probably has to be some limit to it though. I think of the sidewalk lawsuit that torpedoed the sidewalk fun recently. The 2 people involved in the suit, weren't event trying to build a sidewalk nor where they even involved in any sidewalk litigation, if I recall correctly. 

The City Lights people could have bought air rights as well and they didn't did they? So it's like, so sorry, you had your chance. 

• Like 3

Even if the other large proposals fall through completely (I have high hopes on at least 2 out of 3), I think the retail/F&B over here will be in solid shape. Pinewood has been over in this area and has succeeded very well with limited connection. I think there is enough businesses and residential units in the direct vicinity as well as its walking proximity to Downtown/LB (both via 1st Ave and the Greenway) that all the other non-residential/office use should be in solid shape.

On 2/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, Luvemtall said:

Does anyone remember the MAG proposal? That awesome two tower project that was floated around, at the now Tishman-Spayer site. That had a great elevated walkway spanning KVB , an idea that should be considered within all the new projects hopefully coming to that area. 

Personally I DETEST the idea of the elevated walkway. If it is a supplementary element, that's cool. It can have some great architecture and all that. But to be considered the primary crossing at a street is utter failure from an urban point of view. We can do better for our street/intersection designs to make them more welcoming and equitable. Simple shit like "Don't Block the Box" (even if red lights cameras are essentially unenforceable here), pedestrian refuge, diagonal crosswalks (like Lower Broadway has) or just longer crossing signals (GASP cars have to wait longer - even though I'm sure there is mathematical approach to signal lengths). My biggest compliant with Las Vegas was the elevated crosswalk at every single intersection. To me it is a cop out to providing an equitable, safe intersection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

My biggest compliant with Las Vegas was the elevated crosswalk at every single intersection. To me it is a cop out to providing an equitable, safe intersection.

I wonder if in Vegas, given the sheer amount of visitors daily, the elevated crossings are also about allowing traffic not to be impacted.  

• Like 2

I’m a big proponent of the Don’t Block The Box, which is enforced in NYC and many Northeast cities. It seems as though it’s not even talked about in the south. Like Bos2Nash mentioned, it’s a very simple step to take that make a big difference 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

I’m a big proponent of the Don’t Block The Box, which is enforced in NYC and many Northeast cities. It seems as though it’s not even talked about in the south. Like Bos2Nash mentioned, it’s a very simple step to take that make a big difference 

100%!!

I've done minimal research, but from my understanding we can enforce by red light cameras here in TN, but technically it is considered a non-moving violation and wouldn't count against a drivers insurance/license. IIRC, a person who receives a red-light camera ticket isn't even required to pay it!

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I give you the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo lol

Shibuya Crossing and Hachiko – Tokyo For 91 Days

Definitely need some context to go with that photo.  Is this a constant?  Was this taken at lunchtime.  Was it taken during an event?  During a light traffic time?  Etc.

Not arguing for elevated crosswalks.  Just saying that perhaps other factors/variable are at play in different places.  For instance, and I'm painting with a broad brush here, Asian cultures tend to have more decorum than say a sauced up crowd of rowdies in Vegas.  Might that one variable alone be enough to allow for what this photo appears to show versus what could happen at a Vegas intersection?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Definitely need some context to go with that photo.  Is this a constant?  Was this taken at lunchtime.  Was it taken during an event?  During a light traffic time?  Etc.

I was curious myself so I looked it up.  It's one of the busiest crossings in the world at about 2.4 million people a day and up to 3,000 at one time during the most traffic.  So it sounds like it's busy all the time because you'd need 100,000 people an hour to get up to 2.4 million a day!  I'd love to see it! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Funny thing is , I’m not noticing any traffic signals! 
it would seem, if those numbers are accurate it would always be constant pedestrian traffic. You aren’t really seeing to many cars it that picture.

And I think that's a very valid variable.  At those pedestrian numbers, motorists have clearly chosen to steer clear if possible.  That's kind of my point with Vegas; they're having to contend with both, even at much lower pedestrian volumes.  Again not arguing for or against, just allowing for different choices depending on variables at play.

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Funny thing is , I’m not noticing any traffic signals! 
it would seem, if those numbers are accurate it would always be constant pedestrian traffic. You aren’t really seeing to many cars it that picture.

From everything that I've read about Tokyo it's such a massive city with such good mass transit that cars aren't commonly used by the general public.  There just isn't enough room for them and you can easily live there without one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1