Peabody Union (27 story residential, 354 units, 251,000 sq. ft. office, 50,000 sq. ft. retail), Peabody Plaza (9-story, 280,000 sq. ft. office), & 4 smaller buildings, MDHA Trolley Barn sites

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This project is coming along nicely, but I still think it’s very underwhelming compared to the other developers submitted renderings . There again it’s evident of the same old school of thought that seems to be plaguing this city . Keep it simple and never think in a progressive manner, stay inside the box and be conservative. This is why Nashville doesn’t get the same bold unique designs of other cities like Austin, Miami, Charlotte etc. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

This project is coming along nicely, but I still think it’s very underwhelming compared to the other developers submitted renderings . There again it’s evident of the same old school of thought that seems to be plaguing this city . Keep it simple and never think in a progressive manner, stay inside the box and be conservative. This is why Nashville doesn’t get the same bold unique designs of other cities like Austin, Miami, Charlotte etc. 

To a certain extent, I believe some developers (more out-of-town than local) still view Nashville as a "less expensive" city to build in. We don't have the market to bring back the ROI for going to the next level. I remember a conversation last year with an NYC developer that specifically mentioned not building below grade parking because it wasn't worth for them to get their ROI back.

This building may not be flashy, but it is gonna be an impressive overall development. I am excited about the ground floor and the steps down to KVB. I hopw this helps KVB not feel like a highway going across the river, but I am still in wait and see mode.

I think as a city we are going the right direction, but it will take time to get there. I think some of the preliminary renderings of the EB are showing we will get more of what you are referencing.

• Like 4

I think the lower levels with the outdoor patios/walkways and the inteconnection between this and the trolley barns will be very "cool". I expect a large part of thos amenities will overlook the Cumberland and hopefully it will become another downtown hub. I believe Ray Henzler is the chief developer and (I think he has worked with John Eakin before) who's not known for daring designs. I think the dual building complex at Demonbreun and 12th Avenue was done by them. It's not anything extraordinary but it's decent looking... and doesn't look cheap IMHO. Sorry if I got the team wrong here, but I still think this will be a real attractive complex at ground level. And let's not ignore the fact that the city had a hand in selecting the developer; and they could have put in additional design requirements. There were some rather daring designs proposed, but the city chose one of the more basic ones. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Good grief. Austin and Miami buildings all have the balcony design style. Not attractive at all.

Charlotte is beige.

Too funny.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1