Atherton Mill Redevelopment

archiham04

2 hours ago, ertley said:

I am so thankful to have those shots of Atherton because I've been wondering *every day* how much progress has been made on the Rail Trail connection through there, and finally I have direct evidence of its progress! Thanks Mgelbach!

I was there a couple weeks ago.  The part of the trail to the south of the Trolley Barn (by the parking lot) was covered in pots of plants, obviously in preparation of the landscaping.  And there was a fence blocking further passageway towards Publix.  It appears from Mgelbach's next-to-last photo that the plants have been removed from the trail, but the surrounding areas are still red dirt, so I'm curious what happened to the plants as they do not appear to have been planted.  And I can't tell whether the fence is still up and blocking access to Publix.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:08 AM, Madison Parkitect said:

It's cost, no developer is going to put money into something nobody is going to see if they're not required to. Every added weight adds structural cost, and especially for plants there's a lot that goes into roof systems/drainage/etc. Green roofs are pretty heavy.

What about a rooftop deck? Could be a great amenity with a BBQ area with that view of uptown.  That's the best part of my friends place that lives in Berkshire Dilworth. Although its kinda blocked now...

1 minute ago, t_money said:

What about a rooftop deck? Could be a great amenity with a BBQ area with that view of uptown.  That's the best part of my friends place that lives in Berkshire Dilworth. Although its kinda blocked now...

They sort of have that already. 

NovelAtherton_Pool.jpg

24 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Eventually that view will probably be blocked but what an incredible amenity to have for right now.

speaking that it's truly only about 22 feet off the ground, I don't think the view will be as dramatic as they are showing here, anyways.

That said, there's a pretty big "visual setback" for Novel Atherton. Immediately in its view you have a fairly broad Parks-Cramer Building, which I doubt goes anywhere. Then across Tremont, you have Steelyard, which is fairly historic, so probably safe for now. Then a quarter of a mile away, you have Tupelo Honey which will be torn down for up to two 250+ foot buildings. I think that's far enough away where it doesn't block uptown, but maybe adds to uptown.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:05 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They sort of have that already. 

NovelAtherton_Pool.jpg

Tenants are not going to pay for an expansive rooftop deck. A lot of ‘cool’ office buildings that would be candidates for a rooftop are already pushing it in terms of common area factors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, KJHburg said:

drive by today and indeed the new traffic light is blinking.  There is a narrow curb there dividing the turn lane from the northbound South Blvd lanes that will become problematic for many (hitting it etc)

IMG_6698.JPG

I saw them working on the ATHERTON sign this morning. Anyone know what it is being replaced with. Happy because the font messed with my head.

Edited by stw52
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree as well. And for what it is worth, I hyped up this project to everyone I know in the area. Love the idea of a charming alley between the two structures. Should have been. The retail is great and I am very appreciative of it, but we must hold developers to a higher standard. If we stop caring and stop speaking out (attending meetings, etc. - not complaining into the abyss), we will get more wasted development opportunities like this. I love our beautiful city and want it to continue growing, but with well-designed projects.

Edited by captainjack
  • Like 3