Atherton Mill Redevelopment

archiham04

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kermit said:

Its very weird that the trail gets choked down to a 4ft sidewalk when it gets to Tremont (2nd photo). Hopefully that is on the city's to do list, it will be a major a choke point.

Unfortunately, there is not much they can do there, on one side is the pole for the rail road crossing signals, and on the other side is the guy wires for the electric/wire pole. One of those 2 things would have to move in order for them to widen it. 

I like the focus on footpaths as opposed to sidewalks.  Sidewalks are footpaths alongside roads.  Footpaths are pedestrian-only routes meant to get pedestrians to all sorts of uses.   Let's create plans to move people in a robust way via a vast system of footpaths, and not necessarily keep them alongside zooming motorists.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Tecovas, the Austin based online boot maker is opening a store here as reported by Agenda.  This is their first store outside of Texas and OKC and their first east coast store.   That is pretty special.  Plus their boots are great I have some.   Check out the retail plat of Atherton.  Look at their boot boutiques in major Texan cities. 

http://properties.edens.com/property/output/document/view/id:1839

More about Tecovas

https://www.tecovas.com/pages/stores

Can’t say I am thrilled about Tecovas taking that prime corner location (5th largest of all the Atherton spaces). Hard to see a western-style boot store succeeding given I rarely see that style in South End. An Urban Outfitters or similar type retail would kill it there. But I do wish Tecovas well and welcome them to the Queen City!

Edited by captainjack
  • Like 4

As Tecovas sells most of their boots online I am sure they have great market research where their customers are and their stores from what I gather are showrooms for their products in the way other online retailers with a few brick and mortar stores.    This will attract people from all over to check out their store believe me and they will come from far and wide.  True destination store. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Is the atherton farmer's market not going back in there?

I believe that Legion has rented all of the space in the building. Not sure what is happening to the market, they shifted to some interior space at the mill (behind Not Just Coffee) for a while, but I don’t think Edens is making any space for them in the 'new and improved' Atherton. Its a shame since the market really should get most of the credit for making it a shopping destination after Southend Brewing closed (was that in 2005?)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, kermit said:

I believe that Legion has rented all of the space in the building. Not sure what is happening to the market, they shifted to some interior space at the mill (behind Not Just Coffee) for a while, but I don’t think Edens is making any space for them in the 'new and improved' Atherton. Its a shame since the market really should get most of the credit for making it a shopping destination after Southend Brewing closed (was that in 2005?)

Southend Brewery closed in mid-2007 and was reborn for eight months as Woods on South. After that it was Icehouse until 2015 when it was reborn briefly as Bonz before giving up completely on the space. Even sub-divided, it was a bear to run a restaurant profitably. It would be interesting to see how Southend Brewery and Dilworth Brewery would fare in today's beer soaked landscape in Charlotte. I don't remember either breweries' beers well.  

The Atherton Market was born in April of 2010 as a growth and expansion of the Charlotte Tailgate Farmers Market which started in Plaza Midwood in March 2006 on the lot between the Common Market and the Fire Department. In April 2008 the market opened its season on the lot now occupied by Dimensional Place at the corner of Camden and West Park Avenue.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:39 AM, tozmervo said:

Is the atherton farmer's market not going back in there?

The South End Market (formerly the Atherton Market) will remain on the corner of South and Tremont for the foreseeable future.

Edited by davidclt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is the railtrail around Atherton public or private space? Polaris shows most of it as inside the railway right of way but part of the Atherton parcel, but that does not really answer the question of enforcement and trespassing.

While I'll admit my initial interest in this question was a selfish one (can I sit there in a lawn chair and drink beer without getting chased away by the reactivated security dudes?), but I realized this is a much bigger deal when it comes to locations where protests are allowed (and where they can be chased away). Private space masquerading as public space could be a pretty big problem in Southend, all of us need some clarity on these issues.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kermit said:

Is the railtrail around Atherton public or private space? Polaris shows most of it as inside the railway right of way but part of the Atherton parcel, but that does not really answer the question of enforcement and trespassing.

While I'll admit my initial interest in this question was a selfish one (can I sit there in a lawn chair and drink beer without getting chased away by the reactivated security dudes?), I realized this is a much bigger deal when it comes to locations where protests are allowed (and where they can be chased away). Private space masquerading as public space could be a pretty big problem in Southend, all of us need some clarity on these issues.

I'll find out. 

On 5/30/2020 at 6:31 PM, kermit said:

While I'll admit my initial interest in this question was a selfish one (can I sit there in a lawn chair and drink beer without getting chased away by the reactivated security dudes?), but I realized this is a much bigger deal when it comes to locations where protests are allowed (and where they can be chased away). Private space masquerading as public space could be a pretty big problem in Southend, all of us need some clarity on these issues.

If the trail is on public land, private security doesn't have any authority, but I think they could call the cops on you "technically" who would then have jurisdiction. Under Charlotte Municipal Code Section 15.3.d, "Possession of open container in public. Except as permitted in chapter 19, article IX and subsection (f) of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person to possess an open container of beer or wine upon or within the limits of any public street or sidewalk in the city or upon any rapid transit rail platform."

There is a corresponding one for consumption as well, making it unlawful on the limits of public streets, sidewalks, or rail platforms. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

If the trail is on public land, private security doesn't have any authority, but I think they could call the cops on you "technically" who would then have jurisdiction. Under Charlotte Municipal Code Section 15.3.d, "Possession of open container in public. Except as permitted in chapter 19, article IX and subsection (f) of this section, it shall be unlawful for any person to possess an open container of beer or wine upon or within the limits of any public street or sidewalk in the city or upon any rapid transit rail platform."

There is a corresponding one for consumption as well, making it unlawful on the limits of public streets, sidewalks, or rail platforms. 

Thanks! Apologies for my flippant post that focused on beer (although open container laws have been ignored since Corona arrived). I was mostly concerned about the legality of protest and you did answer that question (protest on the rail trail is fine and can not be prevented using trespassing laws)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...