Atherton Mill Redevelopment

archiham04

I live at the Ashton and hate how it looks.  Very disappointing.  I expected this to be designed as though it would become "Atherton Village," but alas, it really does have a strip mall flair about it, especially at ground level.  The strip across South Blvd from this is also a disappointment of a remodel.  How is it that South Park, albeit conservatively designed, seems to have such high quality design and architecture, and South End appears to get the garbage?

6 hours ago, Rufus said:

I think what this is highlighting is the vast spectrum of opinion regarding urban development and the needs of the people that use it. Not everyone hates this development because it provides something more attractive to them, not just aesthetically, but also in the form of things they appreciate and value. And for others, this development just doesn't cut it, and it sets a bad precedent. I actually think this project might end up being more beneficial in the long run when we are able to review the needs and wants, not just from our UP bubble, but from others in the community and try our best to provide something convenient with the hope that it will help lead to a habit change. Not everyone wants to walk everywhere. You and I know that walkability is essential, but not everyone sees this, especially in the economics of development. What this does do is minimize drive time, put things closer together so smaller trips, maybe even all while walking are accomplished.  

We can complain about this project till the cows come home, but it is still going to be successful in the eyes of the developer. And it's a step, if minimal, in the right direction. Let's not excuse it, but let's make note of it and move to the next project. 

We argue the merits and lack of merits of the current design to inform the sense of what we want, and what to advocate for, going forward.  Just part of the community discourse.

• Like 2

This project seems to be parking supported by housing and retail rather than the converse. 

To anyone who has used that parking structure at Atherton, what personal safety features are incorporated? Emergency call posts? Circulating security officers? Lighted emergency exits, one way doors? Anything?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Sorry to say it but I HATE the way this turned out.  I had really high hopes and this development was the one I was most looking forward to.  I stopped by there with my brother in December and was so disappointed.  First of all, coming from the Rail Trail, had I not known there was a CAVA restaurant and stores facing South Blvd., I wouldn't have known to walk around there.  My brother didn't even realize any of that was around there.  Second, the place is surrounded by a parking lot.  I was under the impression from looking at plans that that was going to be a big plaza between the Rail Trail and South Blvd.  What the heck happened?  Putting in that parking lot disengages the place from the Rail Trail and from pedestrian orientation.  It's a turnoff and basically this is nothing but a bland suburban strip mall plopped down in the middle of South End.  It's  a detriment more than an enhancement to the area, and a wasted opportunity.  And the way it's built is as if they're trying to hide the historic mill.  Surely they could have come up with  a design that could actually while also adding residential and  retail  space and engaging pedestrians.  It made me very sad so I quickly left.

I agree. It looks half done, poorly executed, and old. Not historic old, just old. The white that breaks up the brick looks so bland, and the parking garage should have been bricked at the least because... The retail section with Sephora looks decent though. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I desperately want to like Crescent because they've been intentional about site selection and street level retail, but they really half ass a lot of stuff. But then I'm disappointed because I start realizing that they're not developing to improve an area - it's to make money. Finally it all starts making sense. I appreciate the effort, truly, but hiring local muralists to dress up their spaces is just lipstick on a pig, IMO. Camden seems to be more focused on design and details - Crescent should take notes.

While I'm hating on Crescent - I should remind everyone of this P.O.S. 

image.png.3d68b812410c307b06f75e73fca0fc6d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not to get off topic but I truly see Charlotte as a divided city as far as quality and and beauty of apartment buildings. Most ones in Southpark, University City, and Ballantyne look nice. But they are just throwing up anything in SouthEnd and Uptown. Think about it....if it isn’t a high rise then it’s just ehhh. I wish they would really bring more vibrant brick colors and maybe some stucco into the mix to really have them stand out. And Try harder to hide or blend the barking garages in better. That’s all. 

I desperately want to like Crescent because they've been intentional about site selection and street level retail, but they really half ass a lot of stuff. But then I'm disappointed because I start realizing that they're not developing to improve an area - it's to make money. Finally it all starts making sense. I appreciate the effort, truly, but hiring local muralists to dress up their spaces is just lipstick on a pig, IMO. Camden seems to be more focused on design and details - Crescent should take notes.
While I'm hating on Crescent - I should remind everyone of this P.O.S. 
image.png.3d68b812410c307b06f75e73fca0fc6d.png

In the case of Atherton, Crescent is literally only responsible for the apartment building. Nothing else. Not the parking, the retail, or the rail trail. Very little of anything that’s being complained about. Edens conceived this whole thing, had it designed by MV+A and used Novel to develop the apartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in the case of Novel Stonewall, I’d imagine the massive parking deck was so expensive, that some corners had to be cut without sacrificing interior detailing. I’m not sure how they got away with no articulation facing 277, but I blame that also on the massive parking deck.

Wish the deck was smaller but 500 apartments, 2 hotels and 60k of retail, whether they are beside a light rail stop or not, needs a good amount of parking. Lenders require it.

Make every square inch of this place super high quality, and then people will be complaining even more about how over priced the rents are.

I think you are also losing sight of the demographic differences between a potential renter at Novel Stonewall and one in South Park, and what is considered desirable for each group.

It’s about delivering a product that a early 20s finance grad from Chapel Hill thats making too much money for what he/she actually does, and giving them a bunch of amenities they think THEY NEED, but they’ll probably hardly use, but pay a premium for. Give them a space to store their car, or cars, so they can escape to where they are actually from on the weekends.

What growing cities which could be our peers have significant development that is not dreck?

None, because the job of building for millennials ain’t cheap. And nobody is going to build the Ritz Carlton for Them

• 2 weeks later...