Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

^So there should be no development in the suburbs ?

That is obviously not what he was saying.  There is a gigantic grey area between having zero development in the suburbs and having all development be wildly inefficient (in many ways, including financially). 

I'm thrilled that all corners of metro Nashville are growing.  It's just unfortunate that most of the development that comes along with that growth is the most irrational kind of development there is.  Nobody is saying that everything should be highrise development.  But sometimes it just seems like developers are going out of their way to make these strip mall projects as wasteful and inefficient as possible.  With a little bit of smart planning and ingenuity, even big box strip style developments can be built to be much more compact, easy to traverse, and practical.  There is no reason that a development like this needs to literally be half the size of downtown Nashville. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bristol's Tapestry is coming back under construction after months of delays.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130826/WILLIAMSON/308260011/2095/BUSINESS02

I've seen them out there doing minor work over the past few weeks. I think it should go up pretty quickly once they get into full swing. The garage and at least most of the site work is already complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"South Korea-based Hankook Tires announces huge tire production facility in Clarksville, TN, a city of nearly 150,000 located about forty miles north of Nashville.  It will bring 1800 new jobs to the area."  

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131014/BUSINESS/310140044/2263/BUSINESS03?nclick_check=1

Edited by MLBrumby

"South Korea-based Hankook Tires announces huge tire production facility in Clarksville, TN, a city of nearly 150,000 located about forty miles north of Nashville.  It will bring 1800 new jobs to the area."  

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131014/BUSINESS/310140044/2263/BUSINESS03?nclick_check=1

Been rumored for a while. Glad to see this finally come out. About 800 more jobs than I had heard though, awesome. Hoping to get some business out of this one. 

Austin Peay to upgrade football stadium and facilities!

I've known about this for a while, but apparently it's a go project. It will be a 10,000 seat stadium.

The New Governors Stadium

When renovated, Governors Stadium will have four levels, with most of the offices and dressing rooms, as well as a training room, on the first floor.

On the second floor, there will be meeting rooms and an additional weight room.

Fans on levels 3 and 4 will find the amenities of club seating and skyboxes – new features to the stadium. The skyboxes are tiered stadium-type seating with up to 22 seats per viewing room. In addition, each skybox has a bar with locations for bar stools, tables and chairs to seat four to six people.

Like most skyboxes seen in professional sports stadium complexes, the skyboxes in Governors Stadium will have sliding glass at the front of the viewing rooms, a push button to control a public address speaker and two television monitors.

Renderings...

APSUStadium1_zpsb43b9996.jpg

APSUStadium2_zps9100c501.jpg

The state building commission approved it sometime ago and it is scheduled for a 2014 completion date.

Mitch Robinson, vice president of finance and administration, said funding for the new stadium will include $8 million in institutional funds and existing debt service fees, $5.5 million in debt financing through Tennessee school bonds that will be repaid through skybox rentals and $2.5 million in private contributions.

Maybe they will be able to compete for recruits a little better, but it doesn't disguise the fact that the APSU football program has been historically...well,...crappy!

• Like 1

Ah Clarksville, haven't heard much except that nice Hankook tire expansion.

Hey, AP's football has to start somewhere. MTSU has done pretty well from not much. Especially, in the competitive SEC region. I can see APSU doing the same eventually.

I wonder how much student population correlates with MTSU's football program success since smaller schools like TTU and TSU haven't really moved much compared to MTSU's improvements (basketball too).

New to the forum and perhaps this has been covered. My family recently moved to Clarksville from Warren County, TN. We didn't hear much about the city, unless there was some major crime. After moving here and talking with many individuals we realized that this city is a nice place to live, is rapidly growing (apparently 5th fastest in the US above 50k population) and takes pride in it's unique identity, as opposed to being included within the Nashville metropolitan area. Recent plant announcements, such as Hankook Tire, show a region continuing to grow rapidly and there has been a surge of new restaurants (mostly chain unfortunately), etc..

I do see some concerns. While it is obvious that the city and county leaders are aggressive with new development, when it comes to development input from the national and state level it appears that Clarksville and the surrounding areas have been largely forgotten (though state efforts with Hankook and Hemlock are noted). As example, I24 is still 2 lanes each way with serious traffic issues between exit 11 and exit 4. When compared to interstate expansion south and east of Nashville it makes one wonder if the state has forgotten that its 5th largest and one of the fastest growing cities sits only 40 miles north of Nashville.

This area has tremendous potential. I am afraid that, without improvement to the interstate or addition of rail, Clarksville's growth will bog down like I24 traffic.

Edited by mbjjbbb

New to the forum and perhaps this has been covered. My family recently moved to Clarksville from Warren County, TN. We didn't hear much about the city, unless there was some major crime. After moving here and talking with many individuals we realized that this city is a nice place to live, is rapidly growing (apparently 5th fastest in the US above 50k population) and takes pride in it's unique identity, as opposed to being included within the Nashville metropolitan area. Recent plant announcements, such as Hankook Tire, show a region continuing to grow rapidly and there has been a surge of new restaurants (mostly chain unfortunately), etc..

I do see some concerns. While it is obvious that the city and county leaders are aggressive with new development, when it comes to development input from the national and state level it appears that Clarksville and the surrounding areas have been largely forgotten (though state efforts with Hankook and Hemlock are noted). As example, I24 is still 2 lanes each way with serious traffic issues between exit 11 and exit 4. When compared to interstate expansion south and east of Nashville it makes one wonder if the state has forgotten that its 5th largest and one of the fastest growing cities sits only 40 miles north of Nashville.

This area has tremendous potential. I am afraid that, without improvement to the interstate or addition of rail, Clarksville's growth will bog down like I24 traffic.

First of all, welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you, and please feel free to add any tidbits of development news that you come across. While Clarksville is just right down the road, and in our TV market, we don't tend to hear a whole lot about what is going on there, especially considering the rapid growth rate of the city.

To address the point about interstates, I do not know what traffic is like on that stretch of I-24, but if I had to guess, one of the reasons it has been neglected a bit is because the commuting patterns seem to be a bit different in Clarksville. The interstate expansion around Nashville has to do with a high number of residents commuting 20-30 miles from those counties to Nashville (and sometimes cross-county and reverse commutes). It should also be noted that the interstate in Clarksville is quite a bit farther from the city center, with less development right around it, compared to places like Murfreesboro or Franklin, where the towns have started to develop around the interstates (Downtown Clarksville is 6-6.5 miles off the interstate, whereas Franklin and Murfreesboro are 2-2.5 miles off the interstate.

That's not to say that the interstate in Clarksville doesn't need to be or shouldn't be widened, especially as more development (like the huge industrial park) sprouts up on the east side of 24. I imagine in the near future, they will widen the interstate from exit 1 to exit 11 (a little over 9 miles). I don't foresee the interstate being widened further to the south/east between Clarksville and Nashville, though...at least not in the next 10 years.

I think the important thing for Clarksville is to learn how to manage its growth -- look at the suburban Nashville communities that have exploded, and learn from their mistakes over what has happened with some of this unmitigated sprawl. It's already a problem in Clarksville -- but the point should be not to allow it to increase. Because Clarksville is the only incorporated municipality in Montgomery County, I do think it would actually be wise to consolidate the government, especially from a planning perspective. That will allow Clarksville to grow in a more concentrated and thoughtful way, rather than just chaos sprawl.

Agreed. Does anyone know why this corridor is not as developed as the others in Nashville?? It would be nice if there was more of a connection here. Both cities would benefit due to this connection.

I know this is an old post, but reading through, I felt I'd go ahead and answer.

Simply put: geography. Looking at the terrain map, it's very easy to see why Nashville hasn't grown much to the northwest. A very rugged network of hills and spider-like ridges dominate the landscape (leading to the highland rim), and do not allow for easy higher density development (even in the most suburban pattern). 

I could see the day when development sprouts up in some of the flatter pockets like Joelton, or if Pleasant View and Coopertown take off...but I emphasize "pockets"...I don't think you will see the type of consistent development that you are starting to see along Nashville's other corridors.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.315125,-86.883316&spn=0.336946,0.676346&t=p&z=11

Zoom in and you'll see exactly how rugged this area is. It's a good 5-7 miles thick.

So that's the key to contain and manage sprawl :P.

I can see the terrain factoring into it a bit but that hasn't stopped people before. Not saying it should be developed heavily. I just find it interesting how this area has always been very low key. Probably, why Clarksville seems so "disconnected" compared to other outlying areas, especially one so populous.

• Like 1

The state has turned their back on Clarksville and Chattanooga in terms of road construction/interstate access for years. As others mentioned, however, Clarksville has a unique opportunity to develop in a more compact urban way because it didn't experience the tremendous growth like the Nashville suburbs. The river, airport expansion, and industrial developments will all be key in terms of continuing economic success for the state's 5th largest city.

River: Build on the new marina and include more restaurants and specialty retail options that create a sense of place (look at Chattanooga as an example)

Airport: Capitalize on the Western Kentucky and Clarksville area market for a reliever airport for BNA. While some would argue another commercial airport is not necessary at this time, you have to look at the future and what attracts and keeps business in your area.

Retail and Office Space: Where is it?

Does anyone know the commuting numbers between Nashville and Clarksville that the government uses to define MSAs? I would venture to bet that Clarksville will eventually hit whatever number they use to include them in the MSA. And not just because of commutes from Clarksville to Nashville but also because of commenters from Nashville/Springfield/Ashland city to Clarksville with the increasing number of jobs.

Airport: Capitalize on the Western Kentucky and Clarksville area market for a reliever airport for BNA. While some would argue another commercial airport is not necessary at this time, you have to look at the future and what attracts and keeps business in your area.

I don't think we'll see any "real" commercial air service out of Clarksville for the foreseeable future (decades). BNA still has a tremendous amount of excess capacity so it wouldn't really be a relief airport. WIthout doing any additional construction the BNA could probably increase passenger counts by 50% by utilizing the vacated AA space. Clarksville's not far enough away from Nashville to overcome the convenience factor of direct flights. I would point to the relationship between Toledo Express Airport and Detroit's airport. Toledo can barely support air service because of the proximity to DTW and its array of direct fights, and Toledo is home to three Fortune 500 companies and a catchment area 4-5 times the size of Clarksville's. The travel time from Toledo to DTW is almost exactly that of Clarksville to BNA. Clarksville's catchment area would also be very small; it would essentially be Clarksville itself and Hopkinsville. Further up I-24 you quickly come into Paducah's catchment area and its jet service to Chicago O'hare.

It might be possible to get an independent company to run 10 seat props to a place like Nashville, Memphis, or St Louis, but it would have to be heavily subsidized and would serve an extremely niche market.

In terms of convenience, BNA is already more convenient to Clarksville businesses than any company in places like Lower Manhattan or Downtown Chicago. In reality, those places aren't very "convenient" to airports and they attract corporate headquarters by the hundreds. Clarksville's 45 minute drive to BNA won't serve as a major impediment to any company locating there (as evidenced by the increasing number of jobs coming).

The airport part would be negated by the fact BNA has enough room, and is in future plans, to build another terminal for international flights and another runway parallel to the eastern runway.

I heard a while back that BNA was looking for international service, and another parallel runway has been floated for years, but what's this about a new international terminal?