The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Interesting! This is long overdue. While I used to drive I-24 (all the way to Clarksville) frequently and saw it get dramatically worse over a decade, you may guess that I'm very disappointed in TDOT's slow response to critical needs. 

Going straight to the white paper, I immediately saw this...

While solutions must be found, the Department is committed to not:

• Raising the gas tax

• Issuing road debt

• Spending a disproportionate amount of highway funds in highly congested urban areas at the detriment of spending in rural communities

• Reducing the amount spent on road and bridge maintenance

Overall, a good document, but I see some shortcomings in this by itself (hopefully there is/will be supplemental guidance).  I'd also like to see some provisions for rapid transit in cities (like what's 'detrimental' to the cities?)

My take (bullet-by-bullet)

• The IMPROVE act included a fuel tax, which I do not disagree with when it's needed.  That would have to come after debt financing has been exhausted (see below).
  • I do not agree with their commitment to not issue debt as a singular priority. A responsibly low debt-to-income/revenue level (say around 20%) can speed up a lot of projects, especially smaller ones and for urban rapid transit. 
  • Vague.  I don't even get this one as to whatever the "detriment" of rural communities is. If 'rural' includes widening lanes along I-24 between Chattanooga/GA line and M'boro, then that's one thing. If it means building super highways in the middle of nowhere when it's at the detriment of cities, that's something I disagree with. So more definition here is needed.
  • What is "reducing" the amount spent on road and bridge maintenance? Is that letting it go longer between maintenance or finding more efficient ways/teams to do the work? There's some clarification here, but I agree with this when safety is not compromised. 

Finally, who will determine if TDOT is holding to these objectives which I assume are non-binding? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Doesn't that third bullet seem like a sort of strawman? Maybe my urban mind is to polluted to understand, but hasn't highway building traditionally been disproportionately spent in rural areas to the detriment of urban areas? And I'm talking beyond the destroying of cities with highways that both cut through urban areas and completely bypass them.

• Like 2

Glad to see that TDOT is pursuing more efficient & cost-effective design/build methods.

Not thrilled that TDOT is exclusively looking to move more people via more roads and wider highways. No surprise to anyone who drives around middle TN that our state has seen massive growth in vehicle miles travelled while highway lanes have plateaued. Would be fascinating to know if VMT per capita is also rising dramatically - if I'm a legislator, I think I'd want to keep that number from growing too rapidly.

Buried in the back of the slides is a comment that by 2045, over 57% of spend will be on keeping existing infrastructure in "state of good repair" … the connection that TDOT isn't calling out is that all of these projects they're doing today will require maintenance 10/30/50 years down the road.

57 minutes ago, Archibum said:

Convert Lebanon Pk/Old Hickory Blvd to Center turn overpass? WTF?

Grade separated interchange at Nolensville and Thompson? Who is coming up with these "solutions"?

As a retired career professional driver, I also scratch my head over some of the roadways here in Tennessee. I think we need the insight and knowledge of our good friend MidTenn1 to answer these questions. Is it that TDOT and it’s engineering are valued cut at the legislature level and we only get what “they” feel necessary? Or is it something else? It seems like somewhere along the line , that Tennessee is stuck in the past by 30-40 years and can’t find its way to the present. Seems like a lot of people here ,are content with the “sleepy ole rural farm town” ways . But they need to open up their minds to the here and now, and realize that is no longer true , and it’s time to get things in order and get the infrastructure done to handle the future.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

What in the world, I missed that, what the crap would that even look like?! That is some straight backwards thinking. 

Put a raised light rail line down the center lane from Harding all the way to downtown and THAT would make way more sense and be a better use of money.

1779215265_ScreenShot2022-12-01at11_06_27AM.png

Here is the drawing. So unnecessary. Rail down Nolensville would be amazing and would be a proper tool to help with the growth that is bound to continue down this corridor from WeHo.

image.thumb.png.f98ef6f512a6144b17c79b19e92124cb.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nashville born said:

In recent times, I've avoided this string because the lack of progress on this topic is utterly disappointing.  I have such visions of success for Nashville.  Mass transit and efficient traffic seem irreversibly banned from joining those visions.

I totally agree with you, seems as if maybe the group of us here on this forum are the only ones that even talk about it! Mass transit is treated as cuss words to the general public, well at least outside of Nashville 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

Gov Lee came back from Texas and was blown away by their roads. This is such backwards thinking

He has to realize if he wants to build roads, he is going to have to raise taxes or go into debt or do toll roads. Or all 3. Texas does not do the roads for free and Billy Boy is blinded by his lust. What he sees and what is in TDOTs master planning are 2 different things.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, nashville born said:

In recent times, I've avoided this string because the lack of progress on this topic is utterly disappointing.  I have such visions of success for Nashville.  Mass transit and efficient traffic seem irreversibly banned from joining those visions.

I agree! I find it hard to belive the downtown loop has not been updated (other than Bridge repair and paving) since it's inception. 40+ years later and here we are. One of the fastest growing cities in the nation for several years and nothing on interstate road improvements. 

I guess landscaped exit and on ramps are out of the picture. FL and GA and even NC tend to do a good job with them in the core. Ours are only in expensive areas like Cool Springs and Brentwood. 

It makes me think.... Do our politicians never drive on our roads or drive in rush hour in our major cities. They must take private jets or helicopters everywhere. 

• Like 2

Interesting read about the work being done in Chattanooga regarding 75/24 split. Are there any other states that are pay as you go like TDOT? 

"Bradley said the reason for the separation of projects is that TDOT is a pay-as-you-go road builder and the overall project was too big to fund, so it was broken into manageable pieces." 

"Over the past half-century, state and local officials on several occasions sought a fix for ongoing traffic problems at the interchange and its arteries, according to Chattanooga Times Free Press archives."

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2022/dec/01/161-million-low-bid-awarded-for-phase-2-of-split/

• Like 1