The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

22 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

Another tidbit, there's no bridges that connects from East Nashville to Briley. The area east of the Cumberland River is in a need of a few connecting points. The only access points from East Nashville to Briley is the Gallatin Pike S interchange.   The Eastern part of Nashville in general has terrible connecting points with Wilson County, excluding I40 and Lebanon Pike. 

No one WANTS one either.  There is no road suitable to be a good access as the entire area in Inglewood is totally filled out with subdivisions with winding streets.  Porter and Cahal would possibly been good feeder connectors but there would be a fecesstorm taking a bridge across Shelby Bottoms!  You can probably totally forget "a few connecting points" It will never happen.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 2

Come on guys, how short is your memory????? Half of this crap has been tried before.  I do not know who came up with this survey, but they must have just moved here.

Buses my rear. There they go again pushing a worthless asset that few use and that is relatively worthless in getting around the city. Another fact is they bring up bikes and scooters when many people do not use that mode of transit. It is not a safe mode of transit. Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here.

This has been influenced by the mayor's office I am sure that has always pushed buses as a last and final resort. The buses do not run often, and they eliminated the downtown circulator which was free. That was the best thing they had going downtown. Why they eliminated it is beyond me. They should have expanded it. That would have solved a lot of the problems they are having issues with downtown. The only issue they had with the circulator was they had it running up and down Demonbreun which ended up being closed half of the time due to events.

They were supposed to have upgraded the traffic signals and said they did it under the Berry administration, and now they are still trying to do it. You can only upgrade so much. When you have so much traffic all the upgrading in the world will not help. They only thing they can do better with the signal's downtown is to dedicate pedestrian only signals for pedestrians with no turning vehicles at more crosswalks and make the timers longer.

They were also supposed to have the deliveries in the mornings for the businesses to create less problems. They have also tried to lessen parking on the streets, but the downtown business owners bitched.

Dedicated lanes! Who are they fooling. We all know where that idea will go.

• Like 3

Come on guys, how short is your memory????? Half of this crap has been tried before.  I do not know who came up with this survey, but they must have just moved here.
Buses my rear. There they go again pushing a worthless asset that few use and that is relatively worthless in getting around the city. Another fact is they bring up bikes and scooters when many people do not use that mode of transit. It is not a safe mode of transit. Yes, I am playing devil's advocate here.
This has been influenced by the mayor's office I am sure that has always pushed buses as a last and final resort. The buses do not run often, and they eliminated the downtown circulator which was free. That was the best thing they had going downtown. Why they eliminated it is beyond me. They should have expanded it. That would have solved a lot of the problems they are having issues with downtown. The only issue they had with the circulator was they had it running up and down Demonbreun which ended up being closed half of the time due to events.
They were supposed to have upgraded the traffic signals and said they did it under the Berry administration, and now they are still trying to do it. You can only upgrade so much. When you have so much traffic all the upgrading in the world will not help. They only thing they can do better with the signal's downtown is to dedicate pedestrian only signals for pedestrians with no turning vehicles at more crosswalks and make the timers longer.
They were also supposed to have the deliveries in the mornings for the businesses to create less problems. They have also tried to lessen parking on the streets, but the downtown business owners beotched.
Dedicated lanes! Who are they fooling. We all know where that idea will go.

Completely agree with you. Am I alone in the opinion they should be focusing more on connectivity throughout the city relative to bud lanes that will only create traffic. The connectivity through Nashville is horrid with the train tracks and interstate creating barriers and segregation. I would love to see more things like the bridge connecting the 805 Lea area to pine street, and connecting CA South’s project to paseo south gulch. I also think a dedicated greenway alongside the railroad to wedgewood Houston would be a desirable asset and could allow more mobility throughout the city. Pietown will especially need better connectivity to the gulch for residents to be able to live there and walk to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

It's hard to get more "this crap has been tried before" than persisting with car-centric design in a dense area. You can either continue to sit in increasingly bad car traffic or try something more space-efficient. There is no magic bullet to make  individual car use work smoothly in a city, someone would have figured it out in the last 100 years and gotten a Nobel prize or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been taking scooters home from the Titans game recently and it’s not bad. Especially since traffic is slow and you don’t have to worry about getting run over. 

Except when you randomly run into a “slow area” and it knocks the speed down to 5mph. Which for my large self causes the scooter to barely move haha. 

• Like 4

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee is making transportation a priority of his second term, but without tax increases, taking on debt or making public transit investments. Instead, his administration is set on a strategy of tolls and higher electric vehicle fees to pay for road improvements across the state. 

On the table are ideas to convert carpool lanes into toll lanes, allow private companies to create express toll roads and increase the yearly electric vehicle yearly from $100 to $300. 

Tennessee Department of Transportation Commissioner Butch Eley said the administration has decided nothing yet but has plans to ask the legislature for approval to study tolls and to seek out proposals from private companies that could operate these roads, which would charge people to use them. 

"We think we can add additional lanes to allow people the choice to move faster," Eley said. "One day, you can choose to be in one lane and another day to be in another because you need to get to the soccer game or work on time. People can make that choice individually each day."

Tennessee faces between a $1.5 billion to $2.5 billion yearly shortfall in infrastructure expenses, according to studies by TDOT and the Tennessee Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations. Projected road costs far exceed revenues generated by the various fuel taxes in place in Tennessee, the primary way the state funds highway projects. 

Over the past few decades, tolls have become more widespread and sophisticated. Gone are the days of dropping quarters at a booth, instead replaced with a series of license plate readers, transponders and an autopay system. 

Some toll roads even fluctuate based on the demand and distance traveled, meaning driving on those during rush hour would be more expensive than driving late at night. 

The transportation department has spent some time in Texas studying the toll system in Dallas, Eley said, where the rates range anywhere from $0.59 to $15.60 depending on the trip's distance. 

The toll plan is still in the early phases. As lawmakers spend more time in their communities around the holidays, the discussion around tolls could pick it up, swaying them either way. 

Another infrastructure project under consideration is improvements to the state's rail lines. Last year, a bipartisan group of lawmakers passed a Democratic-led bill to study expansion of Amtrak into Tennessee.  The study should come out early next year.

House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, said in a statement that connecting Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga to Atlanta through rail should play a role in any infrastructure plan dealing with congestion. 

"As we look to ease our congestion issues all across our state, I agree we must address our roadways, but we also must look at connecting Tennessee by rail to other hubs," Sexton said. "The possible expansion, if feasible, of our rail system will not only help ease congestion but will also add to our thriving state economy by connecting us to the east coast and Midwestern rail routes."

More behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2022/12/15/toll-roads-tennessee-gov-bill-lee-traffic-congestion/69686095007/

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

What is the electric vehicle fee, never heard of that one?

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Another infrastructure project under consideration is improvements to the state's rail lines. Last year, a bipartisan group of lawmakers passed a Democratic-led bill to study expansion of Amtrak into Tennessee.  The study should come out early next year. House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, said in a statement that connecting Memphis to Nashville to Chattanooga to Atlanta through rail should play a role in any infrastructure plan dealing with congestion. 

"As we look to ease our congestion issues all across our state, I agree we must address our roadways, but we also must look at connecting Tennessee by rail to other hubs," Sexton said. "The possible expansion, if feasible, of our rail system will not only help ease congestion but will also add to our thriving state economy by connecting us to the east coast and Midwestern rail routes."

More behind The Tennessean paywall here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2022/12/15/toll-roads-tennessee-gov-bill-lee-traffic-congestion/69686095007/

Like the mentions of rail even if it's the first time I've ever heard anyone in the state mention rail.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

What is the electric vehicle fee, never heard of that one?

Like the mentions of rail even if it's the first time I've ever heard anyone in the state mention rail.

Here is a screenshot from an article with info on state fees for EVs. The highest in the list is Ga with $200.

733052F3-62CF-4571-9AFF-3C055E56B8FC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Archibum said:

A user on reddit had a good analysis last week of the proposed EV fee:

image.thumb.png.30c8e216995172ddc1c40c8a87e32639.png

Newer EV SUV's and Trucks weigh more (sometimes up to 30%) than their ICE counterparts because of the batteries. With that weight difference, the impact of road damage and maintenance needs to also be taken into account. 

• Like 2