The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

27 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

100% illogical and completely agree with @Deepdish53in the fact that we need to change the approach in which cars are always given the priority in how spending and improvements are handed out.

What this tells me though is we need to have another traffic signal installed at Wedgewood and 19th with pedestrian priority on it.

image.thumb.png.bb2074a96bf7535ca341594b83cb5453.png

I think this is one of the biggest drawbacks to the countywide government. We are now fighting a battle to improve our urban core and rural residents who have no understanding of those requirements fight back against them because all they care about is getting in their 2-ton death mobile (using that phrase as an exaggeration only) and going as fast as possible from point A to point B. 

Sisyphus | Animation, Cat art, Illustration

Given the rising death toll among pedestrians, "2-ton death mobile" is an accurate description, not an exaggeration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/14/us/pedestrian-deaths-pandemic.html

Just one article, but notice how the sub-heading makes no mention of road design as a cause 

• Like 4

Nashville commute times are rising as downtown workers return to offices. 

February and March 2022 saw a 125% increase — the largest increase among the cities studies — in trips to downtown Nashville compared to the same time period in 2020, which was prior to the drop in commuting caused by the coronavirus pandemic, according to Washington-based data and analytics company Inrix in a May report. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/05/18/nashvill-office-return-traffic-remote-work-commute.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

Rutherford Co. will eventually need some kind of inner loop. The population is reaching 400k+ in the next decade. At that rate, I don't know if the traffic within Rutherford Co will be manageable. 

It's already a nightmare. My in-laws live in Murfreesboro and it took my wife and I 45 minutes to travel 8 miles after picking up dinner for them one evening. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, DMilner said:

It's already a nightmare. My in-laws live in Murfreesboro and it took my wife and I 45 minutes to travel 8 miles after picking up dinner for them one evening. 

The crazy thing is that there's still room to grow, but the infrastructure is the problem. It's a couple decades behind. 

• Like 1

Came across an interesting article and op-ed touching on issues pertinent to this thread that I thought I'd share. One's on reducing parking (with references to Donald Shoup--super important) and one's a deep dive into pedestrian deaths and systemic problems with car infrastructure

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-local-correspondents/when-cars-kill-pedestrians

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/02/opinion/california-parking.html?searchResultPosition=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

Work underway on creating new 12th Ave. South with two primary lanes, central median with greenery, and bike lanes in both directions. The mile long stretch will run from The Gulch (Division St.) southward to Ashwood Ave.

12th Ave South, June 5, 2022, 1.jpeg

12th Ave South, June 5, 2022, 2.jpeg

12th Ave South, June 5, 2022, 3.jpeg

I was shocked to see how fast this has gotten underway. I'm excited to see how this turns out. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Not enough lanes. Unless they made it one way which would be awful.

Yes, I got behind a city bus (there is no place, currently, for them to pull over for stops) one morning last week and it added several frustrating minutes to my commute.  (I've definitely gotten spoiled with quick morning commutes) I also have noted long back ups (from the Gulch) in the afternoons with cars pulling off onto the side streets to avoid the really slow traffic. I do think once it is finished, it will be better than it currently is. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Yes, I got behind a city bus (there is no place, currently, for them to pull over for stops) one morning last week and it added several frustrating minutes to my commute.  (I've definitely gotten spoiled with quick morning commutes) I also have noted long back ups (from the Gulch) in the afternoons with cars pulling off onto the side streets to avoid the really slow traffic. I do think once it is finished, it will be better than it currently is. 

Yes, I very well could have been in the back of that bus that held you up.:rolleyes:  Too bad WeGo's buses were ordered without rear windows, like those in Oakland and Detroit, so I could look back and see who's stuck behind the bus, before I push the request-stop strip.  They might come for me, just for making the bus stop to let me off.:D

That's one of my general peeves with the administration as a whole ─ significant changes to sub-systems frequently never get addressed as an ecosystem, and the disparate issues such as existing mass transit ops almost always get the back seat or are excluded altogether from collaborative planning.  Thing is, I always saw that coming with the buses on 12th and along 12South, and I was reminded of that a few years ago, when the WeGo Nº 17 was rerouted through the constricted Gulch along former 11th Ave. Industrial.

Now the bus has tuned into a necessary evil with no provisions for pull-offs whatsoever along the trunk of the route ─ at least not from what I observed of the plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...