5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I am not a fan of the garage, at all... the materials, the design, and the installation are all underwhelming for such an incredible development. 

It's growing on me...but I'll like it a whole lot better if they place a couple of 5 story LED screens on portions of it.

• Like 1

The Apartment portion went up quickly and easily but this Office building has felt cursed by weird construction flukes like that throughout the build. I wonder if there's any sort of explanation for that.

Edited by henburg
  • Like 1

Wouldn't apartments be the more difficult to build (varying floor layouts, individual apartments, apartments, finishes, etc.) vs. standard floors with open layouts for movable walls? 

Who's the GC? A-B did announce they're not moving into the building until later than planned. 

Edited by MLBrumby

I think the garage and the concrete work on the office tower took awhile longer, but the steel went up relatively quick. The apartments on this project was extra tricky because the exposed concrete in the apartments caused major elements such as electrical conduit and junction boxes had to be put in place prior to pouring each slab.

• Like 2

Just now, Bos2Nash said:

I think the garage and the concrete work on the office tower took awhile longer, but the steel went up relatively quick. The apartments on this project was extra tricky because the exposed concrete in the apartments caused major elements such as electrical conduit and junction boxes had to be put in place prior to pouring each slab.

you mean the plywood + rebar were set, then the electrical conduits had to be put in place within the rebar before each slab was poured?

17 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

you mean the plywood + rebar were set, then the electrical conduits had to be put in place within the rebar before each slab was poured?

Correct. With this building being a post-tension slab there is a little less rebar, but have the post-tension tendons in there. But everything for the slab had to be put in place and then the infrastructure for the apartment units all had to be put in its final location prior to pouring each slab.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:59 AM, titanhog said:

Really hope they land some good retail.  I was hopeful we'd pull in some great retail we don't have...but we're in such a weird transition in retail right now, I'm not sure what in the world will fill those spaces.

Retail is going to be iffy for a while for any developer right now. They might as well plan on a lot of this retail space being empty for a while. The toll that COVID is taking on small business has yet TBD, but my guess is that it will be devastating. It will be another year now before retail starts to come back the way it needs to be, but there will be a huge glut of retail space on the market due to huge bankruptcies happening now.

COVID could actually be the death nail for a lot of shopping malls too. The mall operators are in trouble due to reduced rent payments by retailers or no rent payments and bankruptcies of said retailers. Many of these mall operators will go under and I think  CBL will be among the first. They operate Rivergate and Cool Springs. I may be wrong, but the retail landscape is about to change in this country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Retail is going to be iffy for a while for any developer right now. They might as well plan on a lot of this retail space being empty for a while. The toll that COVID is taking on small business has yet TBD, but my guess is that it will be devastating. It will be another year now before retail starts to come back the way it needs to be, but there will be a huge glut of retail space on the market due to huge bankruptcies happening now.

COVID could actually be the death nail for a lot of shopping malls too. The mall operators are in trouble due to reduced rent payments by retailers or no rent payments and bankruptcies of said retailers. Many of these mall operators will go under and I think  CBL will be among the first. They operate Rivergate and Cool Springs. I may be wrong, but the retail landscape is about to change in this country.

Sadly...we bemoan the fact that large retailers like Amazon and Wal Mart feel like monopolies...and at least for a while after this Pandemic, they will be even MORE of a monopoly as many of the others will close down forever.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:25 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I think everyone's first reaction is bye bye Rivergate. But then you hear Cool Springs only collected about 25% of the rent due. So, expect the unexpected