Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Jimmy Redneck Sneed still knows his way around a six-burner, but he's lost it as a host.

Here's Dana Craig's two-and-a-half-star take on his new collaboration:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...01-17-0012.html

CARENA'S JAMAICAN GRILLE

7102 Midlothian Tpk.

tel. 804/422-5375

http://www.422jerk.com

Tab for two: $46

Style had a much more favorable review last week that I don't think got posted here.

Beauty and the Beef

Style had a much more favorable review last week that I don't think got posted here.

Beauty and the Beef

Re: CARENA'S JAMAICAN GRILLE, It's odd how two ladies can have such varying experiences at the same restaurant. Apparently, Ms Fox of Style did not encounter the lack of attention and service that Ms Craig found on her visit. Despite front-of-the-house shortcomings, I would say Dana enjoyed her food more than Brandon.

So, it's a draw! :thumbsup:

Burt, there hasn't been anything that I've seen next door But I'll take another look Tuesday

Burt I checked and saw nothing new going on, Same paper covering the windows. Last I saw of our ABC inspector he had not heard anything either, so far no application was on file.

We are curious as to whats going on as well as they are in the next block and all of us share parking from time to time. :shades:

Hey, I just posted this, but I don't know where it went. I posted it as a "new topic." Anyway, I just got this press release from Infuzion:

Hello there!

Infuzion, the new club in Scott's Addition, will be opening to the public for the first time today! The Bistro & Lounge will be open for dinner starting at 5pm.

Be among the first to catch a glimpse

Hey, I just posted this, but I don't know where it went. I posted it as a "new topic." Anyway, I just got this press release from Infuzion:

Hello there!

Infuzion, the new club in Scott's Addition, will be opening to the public for the first time today! The Bistro & Lounge will be open for dinner starting at 5pm.

Hello there!

Burt I checked and saw nothing new going on, Same paper covering the windows. Last I saw of our ABC inspector he had not heard anything either, so far no application was on file.

We are curious as to whats going on as well as they are in the next block and all of us share parking from time to time. :shades:

Thanks, Jon. So there is no mystery, Jon and I are discussing a potential club called RENDEZVOUS on the south side of Broad between Foushee and Adams streets.

Jon, check out the MASH video feature at inRich on today's Entertainment section. Is that elegant looking space where the band is playing your building? The enthusiastic MASH host is kinda mushy mouthed and I can't understand much of what he says, but I believe he did mention that something is coming up at Renaissance.

Thanks for the heads-up! Maybe it's just the settings on my monitor, but the font size on their website is nearly unreadable...

I think they're just still waiting on the ice. They haven't given me a recent update, but the last I heard it was March (maybe late Feb. for the ice bar).

You'd better start thinking about your sweetie and where you're going to celebrate Valentine's Day. It's one of the busiest eating-out nights of the year.

Here are a few suggestions as compiled by Karri Peifer in her Eat Beat space at Richmond dot com.

http://www.richmond.com/restaurants-dining/23353

Edited by burt

Does anybody have any information about new restaurants going in at Huguenot and Robious in the Huguenot Village shopping center (beside the Great Big Greenhouse). I stopped in for take-out at Candela's on Sunday and noticed an ABC application for a new catering company and a building permit for a restaurant called the Green Mango.

Try http://www.infuzionlounge.com

However, I don't see any big change in the web site that we haven't seen before.

Ric75, did you go to the opening last night?

Thanks for updating us, Karri. Do you suppose the Ice Bar idea is being abandoned?

burt, some friends and I visited Infuzion Saturday night. It has two different entrances, one for the club and one for the lounge/restaurant side which is where we went. The interior is gorgeous and laid out well. Once you enter, there is a small private room to the right. Farther down and to the left is the lounge with couches and deep chairs surrounding each table and a small stage with a piano at the end of the room. Across the hall from there is the bar area. If you continue down the hall there is a security guy and a sliding glass door that connects you to the club area which I didn't see the inside of but I hear it's pretty big and they have a state of the art sound and light system. There were some issues getting our drink orders right but kinks are to be expected. I liked the overall feel of the lounge. Definitely an upscale addition to Richmond's club scene.

Dana Craig's restaurant tour takes us to to ARIANNA'S GRILL AND PIZZA today and rates it three stars.

It is in the former beer-swiller's bar known as The Ritz at the corner of Sheppard street and Park Avenue in the Museum District.

ARIANNA'S GRILL AND PIZZA

700 N. Sheppard street

http://www.ariannasgrill.com

804/353-6002

Tab for two: $38.

I wish Dana and other reviewers would add a "Noise Level" category in their boxed info.

According to a report direct from the scene, CAFE RUSTICA is doing quite well. Dinner is now served Tuesdays thru Saturdays from five 'til ten pm.

The new restaurant is at 414 East Main street, tel. 804/225-8811. They are eagerly awaiting the completion of Centennial Tower and have every hope that it will be up and contributing customers in about a year and a half. Meanwhile, they are filling in the foodie/entertainment drought on East Main between 3rd STREET DINER and CAPITAL ALE HOUSE.

Now, if those Bowtie guys would get their act together at nearby Jefferson Square (the full block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Main & Cary)!

Style Weekly's Deveron advises that the former CARLTON's at Floyd and Robinson streets in The Fan is undergoing a new change. It was known as KONSTA's for years and was, IMO, one of the more attractive Fan eateries.

Under new owner David Bess, whose restaurant min-empire includes LUCKY BUDHA and CHA CHA CANTINA in the Slip/Bottom border area, the new spot will have such talents as Todd Richardson and Noah Sandoval in the kitchen.

The two-story bistro will be called VERBENA and will offer a main menu downstairs and lighter fare above.

So, look for VERBENA in The Fan next month.

According to a report direct from the scene, CAFE RUSTICA is doing quite well. Dinner is now served Tuesdays thru Saturdays from five 'til ten pm.

The new restaurant is at 414 East Main street, tel. 804/225-8811. They are eagerly awaiting the completion of Centennial Tower and have every hope that it will be up and contributing customers in about a year and a half. Meanwhile, they are filling in the foodie/entertainment drought on East Main between 3rd STREET DINER and CAPITAL ALE HOUSE.

Now, if those Bowtie guys would get their act together at nearby Jefferson Square (the full block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Main & Cary)!

I had a fantastic lunch here about a month ago... Very quaint, cozy interior, great prices, and tasty food.

Short Pump Station (I believe that is the new place adjacent to West Broad Village) will be getting a SAXBYS COFFEE HOUSE and possibly a Trader Joe's Market according to Greg Gilligan's column in today's inRich.

A SAXBYS COFFEE HOUSE will also move into the Monroe Park Apartment Building at the northeast corner of Franklin and Belvidere streets. The downtown location will cater to the student population at nearby VCU as well as others in burgeoning Monroe Ward.

Edited by burt

A SAXBYS COFFEE HOUSE will also move into the Monroe Park Apartment Building at the northeast corner of Franklin and Belvidere streets. The downtown location will cater to the student population at nearby VCU as well as others in burgeoning Monroe Ward.

It's already open, I need to check it out one day.

Saxby's sounds too much like Zaxby's Chicken restaurants. I don't know whether or not they are in Virginia yet, but Zaxby's is in Georgia and it is some good eatin'! Yum yum!

speaking of chicken places in georgia. anyone been to price's chicken coop in Hotlanta? People told me it was awesome, i went, and i think i lost 5 years off my life. i felt myself getting fat... how is it called a sandwich when you put a drumstick and a wing between two slices of bread????? but i guess it is popular, since the place was packed.

anyone else crave bojangles???

speaking of chicken places in georgia. anyone been to price's chicken coop in Hotlanta? People told me it was awesome, i went, and i think i lost 5 years off my life. i felt myself getting fat... how is it called a sandwich when you put a drumstick and a wing between two slices of bread????? but i guess it is popular, since the place was packed.

anyone else crave bojangles???

Have you tried chicken and waffles at ANNIEBELL's on North 1st Street? That's not a recommendation because I haven't been there nor have I heard of anyone who has.

I still like my buck-a-piece take-out fried chicken at the former Jezibel's here in Manhattan. Mmmmmm.

Bojangles is coming to Richmond.

We have BOJANGLES here already, or at least we used to. I can't think of where it was, and it's not on the list of locations from their website. I guess it's not there anymore, then... Anyone remember where it used to be?

On another note, rumor has it the former MOONDANCE/WILDCATS on North 17th Street will be an Ethiopian restaurant.

Rats! I was hoping for the piano bar at Moondance/Wildcats.

Do you know if the proposed North African will be a new entry in the city or maybe a Bottom extension of NILE ETHIOPIAN on Laurel Street?

Just a reminder to you guys and gals, I'll be retiring as a contributor to this site as well as Richmond City Watch when the readership gauge passes the 100,000 mark (it's now at 98,122). I started this thread about two and a half years ago, but at 80, it's time to turn over the reins.