Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Has anything happened to the restored building on 17th street at Walnut Alley? It was empty in October.

You must be referring to 15 North 17th Street, which was the old BUTCH'S MARKET. It's still vacant, and represented by Bandazian & Holden (the company where I am an agent). We have very nice apartments above the space, so we have to be a little selective about what kind of business goes there. The general consensus is that a restaurant or retail space would do well, but anything with pounding loud music would be ruled out (because of the tenants upstairs). It's a beautiful space, and the owner of the building didn't spare any expense with the retail spaces or the apartments above them.

And for that matter, what's with the handsome structure at the corner of Walnut Alley and 18th Street? Some kind of street work was going on last October at 18th and Walnut in front of the vacant building.

I leased that building out to an undisclosed occupant (for now). I think everyone will be very happy to see it once the business is up and running, which shouldn't take too long from now. The build-out has been progressing faster than was expected.

Yeah, there was some kind of public sewer problem. Unfortunately, everyone thought the new tenant at 6 North 18th Street had torn up the sidewalk as part of his renovation. The timing was coincidental.

Doesn't an alley separate the present PAPA NINGO's with its new space?

Yes, it's the alley that leads from East Franklin Street to Walnut Alley.

Why does it take the City and (ABC?) so long to approve new businesses?

It's all part of the construction process. Part of it is getting the inspections scheduled and completed. Part is getting approvals through the system for project plans, and undoing things that you were told in error to do in the first place. I haven't had to deal with it personally, just lots of anecdotal evidence of inefficiencies from hearing small businesses talk about it.

ABC licenses take a while, but you just have to realize it's going to take 30-45 days to get a license. It may take longer if neighbors challenge the license, such as the Fan District Association does with every single new license that is proposed in their area. That's one of the reasons it makes so much sense to buy an existing business. ;)

And why oh why does that north/west corner building at 18th and Franklin remain derelict? It's an eyesore. There used to be a restaurant to the west of that corner on Franklin with "Surf" in its name. Is it still vacant?

That was the old ST. SOMEWHERE, I believe -- and it was something else before that, and that name is better known (just not to me). I've tried to get in touch with the owner, with no success, for clients in the past. The only thing I've heard is that it was on the market some time ago for an outrageous price. Since then, I haven't heard anything about the owner resurfacing.

I wish I could, though. I have a number of people that have wanted to go in there.

There is (or was) a small structure between BIG DADDY's and GOODFELLA's. The owner of BIG DADDY's told me about 2 years ago that he planned to put an Italian eatery in the space. And unless I'm really confused, that space is not part of GOODFELLA's. I don't remember what is west of BIG D's, except for old River City Diner.

There are two sides to GOODFELLA'S, and the side that is closer to BIG DADDY'S will be more of a dining area from what I understand. It could just be that the owner of BIG DADDY'S (who was the same guy that took both of us through, apparently) either changed his mind on how to divide it up over the past couple of years, or the rooms in GOODFELLA'S will be stylistically more different that I understand they will.

is La'V's home cooking restaurant still open on the south side of East Main between 18th and 19th streets? Several people have said it has OK fried chicken but the slowest service in town.

As far as I know it is still there. That's another building we manage, but I don't handle it personally.

WOW -- it's not often I have so much to say, or the ability to say it. I always have to be careful because of confidentiality, but these were pretty straight-forward questions. I didn't give anything away here that isn't more or less public knowledge.

GIBSON'S -- here's the lowdown from Greg Gilligan in today inRich:

"Johnny and Katrina Giavos, owners of Sidewalk Cafe, Kuba Kuba, Kitchen 64 and 3 Monkeys, are opening more eateries.

"Gibson's, at Seventh and East Broad streets, will be a two-level restaurant connected to the renovated National Theater, which is opening in February as a music venue.

"Katrina said she and her husband are shooting to open Gibson's in late January, but it probably will be in February.

"The first floor will seat about 100 people with a small bar. Downstairs will have seating for 150 people with a club lounge.

"Patrons will be able to enter the theater through the restaurant.

"Katrina said Gibson's also will cater to downtown workers, including those who will work and visit the nearby federal court building that is under construction."

Hmmmm. Sounds terrific! Wonder if Mama Stella will lend a hand in the kitchen? What will the menu feature?

But why the name GIBSON's? Does it come from the cocktail of the same name -- vodka and/or gin martini with a tiny onion? Does anyone have a clue? Checkplease? nhughes? Ric75? Deveron Timberlake? Karri Peifer?

Hi Burt and everyone else,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post and introduce myself. I used to be in the restaurant biz and have since retired after 22 years. (good times and bad ) I am now in the real estate business and have been trying to stay away to seperate myself.

As far as the name and everything else, it happens to be the name I came up with when myself and another restauranter were asked to open up the restaurant from the beginning. (I am looking forward to see if my menu shows up as well). We pulled out after we were not able to come to terms on a few items. But i see my name and other ideas are still are there :P

The name came from the guitar and the drink actually. Kind of a combination of the two. Rock and roll and a classic drink. That was how the restaurant was going to be set up. Rock and roll downstairs and more formal upstairs.

I am sad I wasnt able to follow through with the restaurant but some things are just meant to be.

I will try to post more and give up any info i come across. Good meeting everyone.

Hey, hey, hey. :thumbsup: Welcome, Achilton87, and Happy Holiday Season.

I was told MILLIE's was once sought as the restaurant operator, but declined because they felt the expected volume would be more than they wished to take on. The East Main street restaurant has an excellent international reputation, not least in showbiz/film circles, and its presence in the National would have assured steady business, IMO.

Whatever your culinary affiliation, it must have been pretty significant since your suggested name and configuration of the space prevails.

GIBSON's is a classy name! I'm glad I am at least half way correct in guessing the cocktail angle.

Keep us informed, please.

That was the old ST. SOMEWHERE, I believe -- and it was something else before that, and that name is better known (just not to me). I've tried to get in touch with the owner, with no success, for clients in the past. The only thing I've heard is that it was on the market some time ago for an outrageous price. Since then, I haven't heard anything about the owner resurfacing.

I wish I could, though. I have a number of people that have wanted to go in there.

That's too funny nhughes. There have been several times when friends and I are in the Bottom and have talked about looking into the place to open a business. The location is great and we love the rooftop deck! I wonder why the owner is MIA? It's a shame (and quite stupid) that an owner would sit on an ideal location like that and let it degrade. I suppose they are meeting the city requirements for vacant buildings though, otherwise the city would be on them. I wish they were in violation of a code so they'd get the motivation to do something with that property, whether it be renovate it, lease it, or sell it.

Halligan Bar

Here's some info about Halligan. It's going to be next to Cafe Gutenberg in the old Kitchen Table location. It was supposed to have opened already, but word on the street is that the opening has been delayed until Spring. That's how restaurant openings go I guess. I can't remember one that's actually opened on time.

As far as a piano bar goes, that's news to me. I'll ask around and see what I can find out. The only piano bar I currently know about in Richmond is the Piano Club Steak & Seafood on West Broad Street.

I can't believe I didn't click on HALLIGAN's web page provided by checkplease. I normally read every word in this dining out thread. I must have been terribly distracted on Dec. 23rd to have missed it.

If anybody else didn't read Deveron's description of what is to come at the former Kitchen Table, click it before it disappears. It sounds like one HOT place! :w00t::thumbsup:

nhughes, I have a suggestion for The Bottom.

Walnut Alley is very funky, but why not promote it as "fun" funky? All it would require is a few doors chopped into the rear of existing buildings and some small neon signs attracting customers into the interiors of bars, restaurants and shops whose main entrances are now, and will remain, on Main, 17th, Franklin and 18th streets. The alley running north south in that block as well as other cobble-stoned, car-free alleys could get the same treatment, adding an air of exotic mystique to The Bottom.

That's my 2 cents.

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks but I've been too busy to register and finally start posting. I'm currently on break from school so my schedule has eased up quite a bit. A little bit about myself - I am originally from just outside of Hartford, CT. I'm currently a medical student at VCU/MCV in downtown Richmond. I live downtown as well and absolutely love it - someone mentioned my building (Pohlig Box Factory) on some other thread. I found this while looking for places to eat with my girlfriend. We are always looking for exciting new places and Richmond has so many to offer - it's often difficult to keep up with it all. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Take care.

Curt, thanks for dropping in, and please give us some recommendations from a med student's perspective -- or from any perspective, for that matter.

Have you been to ACAPPELLA up the hill on Broad at 23rd?

What about the new LULU's in The Bottom. Have you and your lady friend checked it out?

How about SETTE on 23rd north of Main?

Edited by burt

Curt, thanks for dropping in, and please give us some recommendations from a med student's perspective -- or from any perspective, for that matter.

Have you been to ACAPPELLA up the hill on Broad at 23rd?

What about the new LULU's in The Bottom. Have you and your lady friend checked it out?

How about SETTE on 23rd north of Main?

Of the three, I've been to Sette a few times (it's practically in my parking lot!). We've been meaning to check out both LULU's and ACAPPELLA, but haven't had the chance to just yet. Sette is a great place. It's quite small inside but the atmosphere is very nice and classy. The tables aren't very large, so it's good to keep the party limited to four or so. More importantly, the pizzas are all "individual." They have some very interesting specialty pizzas, but you can also get the more traditional ones as well. I would especially recommend the Tomato, Mozzarella and roasted red peppers as an appetizer and the Greek Pizza for the entree. Surprisingly, the Cheeseburger Pizza is very good as well - not the typical cheeseburger pizza you'd find at a lower-quality establishment. The prices are reasonable (I think around $8 a pizza) and the service is decent. There are also a few flat-screen TVs which usually play sports/ESPN and a full bar if that's your thing.

Edited by VPDcurt

nhughes, I have a suggestion for The Bottom.

Walnut Alley is very funky, but why not promote it as "fun" funky? All it would require is a few doors chopped into the rear of existing buildings and some small neon signs attracting customers into the interiors of bars, restaurants and shops whose main entrances are now, and will remain, on Main, 17th, Franklin and 18th streets. The alley running north south in that block as well as other cobble-stoned, car-free alleys could get the same treatment, adding an air of exotic mystique to The Bottom.

That's my 2 cents.

I like that a lot. I'll have to get the idea circulating down there for us! :)

Logistically, it may be a problem for some of the restaurants because the back alley is usually where the kitchen access is. Maybe it's something for restaurants to consider when they are renovating or building out to begin with...

All you NYEve revelers in Carytown: If you're planning on dining out in the area, here's hoping you have reservations at one of the dozens of eating places and have figured out where you THINK you're going to park. Last year, with practically no publicity, the inaugural affair attracted about 15,000.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...12-27-0008.html

:yahoo::alc:

Of the three, I've been to Sette a few times (it's practically in my parking lot!). We've been meaning to check out both LULU's and ACAPPELLA, but haven't had the chance to just yet. Sette is a great place. It's quite small inside but the atmosphere is very nice and classy. The tables aren't very large, so it's good to keep the party limited to four or so. More importantly, the pizzas are all "individual." They have some very interesting specialty pizzas, but you can also get the more traditional ones as well. I would especially recommend the Tomato, Mozzarella and roasted red peppers as an appetizer and the Greek Pizza for the entree. Surprisingly, the Cheeseburger Pizza is very good as well - not the typical cheeseburger pizza you'd find at a lower-quality establishment. The prices are reasonable (I think around $8 a pizza) and the service is decent. There are also a few flat-screen TVs which usually play sports/ESPN and a full bar if that's your thing.

Thanks for the input, VPDcurt! I've walked past Sette a couple of times, going to events in Church Hill, and I keep meaning to get down there for a meal. If I can keep it in mind, maybe I'll finally make it down there!

Dana goes West! This week, she tells us Times Dispatch readers about her eating adventures at ENZO RISTORANTE AND TAVERN on Goochland's Broad Street (US 250) and awards the eclectic, suburban bar/restaurantt 3 stars:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...12-27-0013.html

They seem to have a liking for sodium out there in the country. I recall a steak at THE NORTH POLE on Rt. 6 in Goochland a few years ago that was so salty I was thirsty for hours after the meal. Dana discovered that ENZO's, too, has a heavy hand on the salt shaker.

ENZO RISTORANTE AND TAVERN

36 West Broad Street

Manakin-Sabot in Goochland County

tel. 804/784-2962

http://www.enzosonline.com

Tab for two (sans nips): $70.

Edited by burt

All you NYEve revelers in Carytown: If you're planning on dining out in the area, here's hoping you have reservations at one of the dozens of eating places and have figured out where you THINK you're going to park. Last year, with practically no publicity, the inaugural affair attracted about 15,000.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...12-27-0008.html

:yahoo::alc:

By the way, I understand that the Carytown NYE event put a hurt on the restaurants and bars that traditionally see big numbers for that night. Understandable, though, since the people had to have come from somewhere.

It should mean that the restaurants and bars step it up a notch to compete. I wonder what the local clubs are doing differently to keep people at their establishments...

I had several friends in town this weekend, as was I, and we had a great time!

Between the three, we were from NC, NY, and Britain, and all, including myself were very impressed by the city. It is at drop-jaw status!

We dined at RIver City Diner for breakfast. Great atmosphere and most booths were full. The waitress was awesome and the portions were unbelievable!

After a stroll around the city, we snacked at The Deli (rail depot building) by the canal. Nice place. Great big city feel.

We had lunch at Highwater. Food and service were great. Prices were reasonable. It was lunchtime on a Friday and we were a bit surprised that there were such few patrons.

QDoba on Broad Street was dinner before the Richmond Renegades hockey game. The place was slammed and the food was delicious!

Good job Richmond.

Oh, Airport Terminal Applebees: Food was OK, service was HORRID.

Yeah im glad the Applebees at Regency shut down because I had a giant Cockroach on my booth after my family and I were done eating. It was crawling behind me on the back of my booth and I was glad I was done eating as well as my family. If I would of seen that while I was eating I would of puked. I said after that never will I eat a that location again. Thankfully they shut down like a month or two later. haha who knows maybe they found my cockroach.

Richmonopoly - glad you guys had a nice time. Downtown in general was pretty slow on Friday... lots of folks playing hookie (town's full of a bunch of slackers :) ). I only stuck around at work for a few hours.

I've been meaning to check out a Gades game sometime... thanks for reminding me. I hear they are having a pretty horrible season though?

I had several friends in town this weekend, as was I, and we had a great time!

Between the three, we were from NC, NY, and Britain, and all, including myself were very impressed by the city. It is at drop-jaw status!

We dined at RIver City Diner for breakfast. Great atmosphere and most booths were full. The waitress was awesome and the portions were unbelievable!

After a stroll around the city, we snacked at The Deli (rail depot building) by the canal. Nice place. Great big city feel.

We had lunch at Highwater. Food and service were great. Prices were reasonable. It was lunchtime on a Friday and we were a bit surprised that there were such few patrons.

QDoba on Broad Street was dinner before the Richmond Renegades hockey game. The place was slammed and the food was delicious!

Good job Richmond.

Oh, Airport Terminal Applebees: Food was OK, service was HORRID.

Thanks for the insight from an out-of-town visitor! I'm glad you all enjoyed your experiences here. :)

Thanks for the insight from an out-of-town visitor! I'm glad you all enjoyed your experiences here. :)

Glad you were able to visit Richmond, Richmonopoly. I figured with that name you had to be a native. :)

Did your Brit lady friend fly into RIC from NYCity? A matriculating UVA student from England recently set sail from Liverpool on a freighter and debarked in America at Richmond's Deep Water Terminal. OH, my! We are getting to be such a cosmopolitan arrival point. :lol:

You mentioned a meal at QDOBA. That's a new one on me. What and where is it? Since you went to a Coliseum hockey game, it must be downtown.

Welcome, and visit frequently. There's lots more to see and many places to dine.