Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

The very popular CORNER BAR AND GRILL at 1301 West Leigh Street has closed. Hearsay is that the owner wished to enlarge but was unable to negotiate with property owners. According to the RTD's TABLE TALK column, the space is being retrofitted for a new restaurant tenant.

Meanwhile, BLACK SHEEP at 901 West Marshall Street in the VCU area is getting some high comments. One of my old lady friends lunched there recently and is still raving about it. The neat little place is operated by a brother/sister team and serves breakfast AND lunch 'til 2PM as well as dinner until late hours 6 days a week. I don't know its telephone number, but if anyone does, please post it here.

BLACK SHEEP serves wine and beer, but no hard stuff.

Burt, that's sad news about THE CORNER BAR AND GRILL. I usually stop there for a nightcap after the VCU basketball games on the way home. (I walk because I am too cheap to pay to park). We had an 8-top one night and as small as the place was, and as short-staffed as they were, they still managed a full restaurant, kept the drinks flowing and managed to pull off all of our food orders, quickly, and got everything right. Now THAT is a feat that is difficult to accomplish in a small bar! I was very impressed. Their mixed drinks also have a little more 'kick' than your standard fern bar. With this area becoming more of a magnet for students and young professionals, I hope that whatever takes its place, compliments the other improvements that have come to the area.

Burt, that's sad news about THE CORNER BAR AND GRILL. I usually stop there for a nightcap after the VCU basketball games on the way home. (I walk because I am too cheap to pay to park). We had an 8-top one night and as small as the place was, and as short-staffed as they were, they still managed a full restaurant, kept the drinks flowing and managed to pull off all of our food orders, quickly, and got everything right. Now THAT is a feat that is difficult to accomplish in a small bar! I was very impressed. Their mixed drinks also have a little more 'kick' than your standard fern bar. With this area becoming more of a magnet for students and young professionals, I hope that whatever takes its place, compliments the other improvements that have come to the area.

Meanwhile, DC, next you're are in the VCU area, drop by BLACK SHEEP for a beer or wine nightcap. No cocktail nor hard booze, but good eats. It's on Marshall at Goshen street which I believe is two or three streets west of Belvidere, and two or three blocks east of the Siegel Center.

Rugierri said in her Table Talk piece that workmen were rebuilding the bar in the otherwise shut-down CORNER BAR AND GRILL at 1301 West Leigh Street. That has to mean something will replace it.

Word is out that Johnny and Katrina Giavos are training personnel at their popular restaurant, KITCHEN 64, in anticipation of moving them soon to GIBSON's at The National.

The architects describe the space as having a monumental staircase, a ground level room and a basement bar/dining area. An elevator will also transport diners and concert-goers between the lower level rathskeller-style space, the main restaurant/bar and the balcony level of the theater.

The name GIBSON's denotes the martini garnished with a tiny onion and the famous guitar brand.

Edited by burt

Sigh!!! Sadly, one of my all-time favorites has succumbed to changing tastes. LA PETITE FRANCE on industrial Maywill Street in the West End has gone under. Paul and Marie Antoinette Elbling introduced the area to superb Alsatian provencial cuisine and impeccable service in 1971 and built a large following of gourmands in the region. Since the couple's retirement a few years ago, the 4-star restaurant has passed thru two ownerships. On my last visit in March, there were only two occupied tables, and while the attentive staff and delicious meal were more than satisfactory, I sure missed Marie and Paul!!

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...06-12-0090.html

This is pure speculation and guess work, but if anyone is in the market to operate a beautifully sited, partially built-out restaurant/bar space with youth appeal, they might want to check out the upper level of The Lady Bird building. TOADS PLACE and HIGHWATER and office tenants are other occupants of the canal-side historic structure. A Florida chain called URBAN FLATS apparently changed its mind about opening there.

This favorable critique of POPKIN TAVERN at Jefferson and Broad streets in the Gallery District tells of an upgrade in its food and wine oferings. It is by Lisa Bacon in the latest edition of Brick:

http://www.brickweekly.com/index.php/foodd...third_place/533

Good reveiw. I am going to have to make an appointment to there within the next couple of weeks.

burt - I am assuming the second ticket is for you? :alc:

I will scalp to you for a 5% mark-up. :P

Hahaha. Sorry, Shak. I've already got my four tickets for Saturday night, July 12th after our party has dinner somewhere in the neighborhood. I called MARSHALL STREET CAFE's number to make reservations, but a robot said the voicemail box was full. The restaurant is still open, isn't it? I'll try again later in the day.

Burt, why don't you try that new black sheep (?) place nearby.

Thanks, coupe, but I already have a lunch scheduled at BLACK SHEEP during the week. Besides, taking into account old tired knees, it would require parking twice since the distance between it and The Empire is about 9 blocks. Also, my old girl friend REALLY likes her martini, which BLACK SHEEP cannot provide. I've been to MARSHALL STREET CAFE once and liked it, plus it's just around the corner from the theatre. Have been to TARRANTS, liked it very much, too, and it will be a second choice. Love BISTRO 27 also, but it is too loud for old ears. Ditto for POPKINS. :w00t:

I'm posting Dana's 3-star review of MANAKIN GRILL because I, too, like it a lot. Also, because it has an accompanying slide show.

Whoever does the info boxes at the Times Dispatch is omitting things of late -- such as noise level, tab for two and most importantly, restaurant addresses.

FYI, MANAKIN GRILL is not easy to find. It is at 12919 Plaza Drive, a parallel road just north of Broad Street in Goochland near the Henrico border. If you get lost, call 804/784-0544 on your cell for directions.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...06-13-0029.html

Edited by burt

Melissa Ruggiera is a busy and talented gal! Not only does she keep us abreast of Richmond's burgeoning music scene as well as what's playing at venues in and out of the city, she's also one cool cookie behind the camera. Melissa's got poise, eye-appeal and a pro's sense of economy in her delivery while hosting with the equally adept Daniel Neman on the THIS WEEKEND video.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...is_weekend.html.

Now the lady has taken on another chore -- a weekly column called TABLE TALK.

This week she tells us that SHEBA, a new Ethiopian eatery has opened at 9 North 17th Street.

And she elaborates on restaurant items we have discussed on this thread. Namely that PESCADOS, the popular Midlothian fish place will soon open a second location in Oregon Hill at 626 China Street; confirms that GIBSON's at the National hopes to be operating in July, and mentions that LA PETITE FRANCE is no more.

Further: "HIGHWATER, the casual chic restaurant adjoining Toad's Place on the Canal Walk, has a spiffy new menu designed by chef Michael Hall, formerly of The Berkeley Hotel and now at The Bull & Bear Club...check out the entire menu at http://www.highwaterrva.com.

"The restaurant is open for dinner at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and only on Sundays and Mondays for show nights.

"Additionally, HIGHWATER now sports a patio that offers a bar setup on show nights and for the free Wednesday on the Water concert series, which takes place at 8 p.m. through the end of June."

And I like this item in her column: "If you're heading north: STICKY RICE's legions of dedicated customers might care that the Richmond restaurant has opened a D. C. location at 1224 H St., NE. Check out its new site at http://www.stickyricedc.com. And yes, the tater tots are on the menu."

Edited by burt

Is this CAFE CATURRA? It looks suspiciously like the old ESCABAR at 5806 Grove to me, but the folowing news says it is the old Luna Grove Deli at 5811 Grove.

http://nearwestendnews.net/2008/05/27/new-...d/#comment-8209

Does anybody familiar with On The Avenues wish to comment?

ESCABAR closed and I think was replaced by THE GROVE. I just called THE GROVE's number and it has been disconnected.

Edited by burt

And she elaborates on restaurant items we have discussed on this thread. Namely that PESCADOS, the popular Midlothian fish place will soon open a second location in Oregon Hill at 626 China Street; confirms that GIBSON's at the National hopes to be operating in July, and mentions that LA PETITE FRANCE is no more.

Thanks for all the updates Burt! Unfortunately, I don't see PESCADOS opening anytime soon. From what I can tell, no work has begun. :dunno:

Thanks for all the updates Burt! Unfortunately, I don't see PESCADOS opening anytime soon. From what I can tell, no work has begun. :dunno:

JSI, PESCADOS hasn't given up on Oregon Hill. Getting city permits has been a problem according to a source at the Midlothian location. They "absolutely" plan on occupying the old Hollywood Bar in the near future.

Here's Deveron Timberlakes SHORT ORDER column in its entirety from this week's Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=17214

The new CITY DOGS eatery opening June 23rd looks pretty snazzy in the accompanying photo. I wonder if its Shockoe Slip address, 1316 East Cary, was the former short-lived down-home eatin' place with "Granny" in its name?

And Deveron has it wrong when she says that the fabulous but long gone ANGELO'S started in the basement of Thalhimers Department Store. Their dogs were choice by anybody's gauge -- mmmm, juicy, crunchy franks with mustard and chilli...I still drool thinking about them.

Definitely the best in the region! ANGELO'S was on the east side of North 5th Street between Broad and Marshall, directly across Fifth from the Greyhound loading gates. It moved to Thalhimers basement about the time the entire block on which it was situated met the wrecking ball. For all I know, it may have been birthed elsewhere than North 5th, but it was there during World War II when I used to sneak out every Thursday night to see the new movie and vaudeville bill at The National (75 cents) and snack on a ten cent dog at ANGELO'S. The change from my dollar, 15 cents, was enough for streetcar fare to and from the Fan with a penny to spare.

One may glean from Style's 2008 Bar Guide (posted above) that VAULT underneath BANK at 1005 East Main Street is about ready to open. Mo Roman's slick and popular BANK Restaurant apparently transforms itself into Richmond's most cosmopolitan dance club after diners have enjoyed their meals. The story in Style says it is THE "in" Richmond spot for the city's International community.

VAULT, according to reports, is a very large two-level space in the basement of BANK and may be accessed via stairs as well as a jumbo-sized elevator.

I suppose all the Euro entertainment will shift to the cavernous VAULT, leaving diners more time to linger over Mo's delicious cuisine upstairs.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig hands out a three & a half star award to CHEZ FOUSHEE. Not only that! She narrates the slideshow which shows off the beauties of this downtown Spanish/Morroccan style building at Foushee and Grace Streets.

I recall when Bob Claude, a local interior designer, took over the building which had been a paint store for years. It was about the time that the nearby Jefferson had undergone major renovation and was a Sheraton affiliated hotel in the 1980's.

I don't recall what Bob called the restaurant, but it was without question the most chic dining spot in the area.

The present owners concentrate on mid-day luncheons open to the public and heavy catering and cocktail parties in the evenings. After First Friday Art Walk became a smashing success, CHEZ FOUSHEE began offering sumptuous dinner service on those Friday evenings.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...06-20-0023.html

CHEZ FOUSHEE

Open for Luncheon Mondays thru Fridays and for dinner on the first Friday of each month only

203 North Foushee Street (at the corner of Grace Street)

804/648-3225

Noise Level: High

Rating: Three and a half stars

Tab for two: $74 (libations extra)

Edited by burt

Here's a nice piece from Daniel Neman of inRich about one of our favorites -- ZUPPA at 18th and Franklin in Shockoe Bottom:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...06-25-0015.html

Has anyone checked out CITY DOGS in the Slip? I believe it's in the former Granny Wade's location on East Cary near Virginia Street.

Edited by burt