Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

There's a new restaurant coming to journiyin's neighborhood. Wish I could say more at this time....

Unless I'm mistaken, journi has moved or is moving from Berry Burk to Church Hill.

PATRICK HENRY PUB in the former Acapella space opens at 23rd and Broad on or about June 1st offering an Italian menu and fun as usual in the cozy, but smoky downstairs bar.

QUE PASA on North 25th (I believe in the 400 block) has been open for a few months and finally got a liquor license.

Are you referring to the Berry Burk building area, Henry, or still another new restaurant on The Hill?

The new Bass Pro Shop, one of the larger ones in the chain, will include an ISLAMORADO fish restaurant among other attractions. It's nearing completion off of I-95 near Lewistown Road between Richmond and Ashland.

There will also be a BUZ 'n NED's Barbeque on the premises.

Edited by burt

Looks like a new restaurant is moving into Shockoe Bottom on East Main Street at 22nd, a door or two down from Honey Whytes. Permits are posted and construction is underway, but I couldn't tell what kind of restaurant it is.

Edited by bankrupt

A new place by the name of Tony's is opening up in the old 4th St Diner location - according to a menu posted in the newly renovated interior a variety of sandwiches and lunch-style items will be sold. Average price -7 bucks for a sandwich. Interior looks nice. Hours are not 24 like the old diner, but it does add back in one more bit of selection into that area of the city.

Looks like a new restaurant is moving into Shockoe Bottom on East Main Street at 22nd, a door or two down from Honey Whytes. Permits are posted and construction is underway, but I couldn't tell what kind of restaurant it is.

Have you dropped into GLOBETRECKER (I think that's its name?) It's on the n/e corner of 21st and Main and is a coffee shop with a German twist. On my visit in early March the charming young lady who runs it told me that 17 units were occupied at newly renovated Haxall View on 21st street.

And does anyone know if work has begun on the north side of Main between 20th and 21st? The old firehouse is in that block and is supposed to be incorporated in the new project.

Henry, space is reserved for a large restaurant at the 6th and Grace corner of Miller & Rhoads and another at 5th and Broad as well as a restaurant/bar in the hotel itself about midway on 5th street Not sure there will be street access to the hotel dining area, but both of the others will have alfresco and interior space. I believe they are hoping to have both the hotel and condos ready by the end of December.

Am I getting hot in guessing location? Or, do you mean the restaurant to which you refer will be in the Berry Burk building or immediate environs?

And let us not forget GIBSON's in the National. :)

I've been trying to ease out of this thread, but I just can't help myself!

Here's a wonderful piece with web site, courtesy of Style's Deveron Timberlake, which has been spearheaded in Virginia by 1 NORTH BELMONT's Fritz Huntjens.

It takes a bit of navigating, but is REALLY interesting for Richmonders as well as state-wide and, for that matter, nation-wide readers:

http://www.opentable.com

OK, now that I'm back let me assure that I don't discriminate (like Style Weekly) about whether it's locally owned, suburban or a chain operation. We are a Region, remember?

CHEZ MAX near Lauderdale and Patterson in the far West End happens to be one of my favorites. SENSI, BOOKBINDERS, MORTONS, RUTH'S CHRIS, LEMAIRE in The Jefferson (closing this summer for a retrofit), LuLu's, MILLIE's, are all class operations in Center City and Greater Richmond. So are BANK, FLEMINGS STEAK HOUSE, SI, WHITE DOG and COPPER GRILLE. And add to the mix the destination spots like THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY, BRIO TUSCAN GRILLE, COPPER GRILLE and perhaps the most famous of the lot, THE TOBACCO COMPANY in the Slip.

And one of Dana Craig's favorite suburban restaurants, PESCADOS, purveyor of excellent seafood, has announced that it is brave enough to open a twin operation in the former Hollywood Grill on Pine Street in Oregon Hill within hailing distance of the super famous MAMMA ZOO.

Another of my surburban favorites (though expensive) is reviewed by Joe Cates in this week's Style. Here is his review of BUCKHEAD's on Patterson at Parham.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=17086

Edited by burt

Dana Craig bashes LITTLE MEXICO with less than faint praise, calling it "Another Mexican mismash." The South of the Border eatery is the latest in the unpretentious but comfortable family chain which has MEXICO restaurants in every section of Metro Richmond.

This one occupies the site (but not the building) of El Rio Grande in the transitional area of West Cary near VCU. There had been hopes that it would depart and advance from the standard Tex/Mex formula of its siblings.

It's perfectly satisfactory for the usual and familiar chimichangas, burittos, tacos, chips and salsa, but one is not likely to find anything approaching adventurious Mexican cuisne.

Richmond has an aversion to chains, but ROSA MEXICANA would be an excellent addition to the local scene.

LITTLE MEXICO

1328 W. Cary Street

804/425-4217

Rating: 2 stars

Noise level: Average

Tap for two: $27.00

Edited by burt

About the only good thing I can say about Little Mexico is that the service is great. I was not at all impressed with our visit otherwise.

I still lean heavily towards LaCasita at Brook and Azalea for the best Mexican fare. I will stop by there on the way home just to buy a bag of their chips and a cup of their mole sauce. I love that place.

Sometimes, though, you just have to pig-out. I like my pig-out sessions to involve sushi. The SuperKing Buffet on the south side of Broad, just east of Parham (same shopping center as Thai Diner, Westland, I believe) has really stepped-up their food quality. Something has transformed the kitchen into a machine that puts out some very tasty and interesting things. I had been noticing the quality of food declining for the last couple of years, but tonight, they were firing on all 8 cylinders!! Whatever they changed, it is definately for the better.

Has anyone ever eaten at Peking in Hanover?

A restaurant company known as CB5 was expected to be the savior of the unique power plant at Riverside on the James. An elegant space was planned in the picturesque building and was to be called BLANC BLEU. Well, according to Style's Deveron Timberlake, the economy (and possibly the location itself) has discouraged participation by CB5. It's a dead deal, at least, for the nonce.

Does anyone know how BLACKFINN at ROTJ is faring?

And, has anyone information about whether or not URBAN FLATS has given up on its plans for a bar/restaurant in The Lady Bird building (Toads Place)?

Kiniry and Co is marketing an 80% complete restaurant space in this building for lease...

mmmmm. That's interesting. I assume you're talking about Lady Bird, Coupe. Keep us posted, please.

With the National and GIBSON's as heavy competition, Toads needs more than HIGHWATER to measure up.

And Henry, you are still being tight-lipped about a restaurant in the Berry Burk area. How about a hint or two?

The TD's food critic, Dana Craig, reports that QUE PASA on North 25th Street is suffering a lack of traffic resulting in less than stellar service, presentation and quality. The Church Hill restaurant north of Leigh Street surmounted frustrating permit application problems and finally opened without a liquor license several months ago. Subsequently, a beer-wine-mixed beverage permit was awarded, but its Cuban and Carribbean offerings need some...well, let's say... tweaking.

QUE PASA

Award: Two stars

623 North 25th Street

804/402-7502

Noise Level: Low

Tab for two: $43

Edited by burt

The very popular CORNER BAR AND GRILL at 1301 West Leigh Street has closed. Hearsay is that the owner wished to enlarge but was unable to negotiate with property owners. According to the RTD's TABLE TALK column, the space is being retrofitted for a new restaurant tenant.

Meanwhile, BLACK SHEEP at 901 West Marshall Street in the VCU area is getting some high comments. One of my old lady friends lunched there recently and is still raving about it. The neat little place is operated by a brother/sister team and serves breakfast AND lunch 'til 2PM as well as dinner until late hours 6 days a week. I don't know its telephone number, but if anyone does, please post it here.

BLACK SHEEP serves wine and beer, but no hard stuff.

Edited by burt

Hey guys been awhile since i last posted (9 month old daughter keeping me busy). I tried searching but it doesnt seem to work for me very well and unfortunatly im not very patient. My wife daughter and I went to visit a friends new restaurant. Its called Savor and it opened up 6 months ago in the Manchester area, 201 West 7th street, corner of 7th and Porter Street. It is a little coffee/sandwich shop with fresh pastries breakfast lunch and take home dinners.

It is opened by Ellie Basch about 6 months ago. http://riverdistrictnews.com/2008/03/27/ne...ery-on-its-way/

It is just opened for breakfast to 5pm. We went there a couple weeks ago and had a nice late lunch.