Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Never found a "good" chinese restuarant :(

FULL KEE on Horsepen Road in the West End. Authentic enough that the Japanese executives that I used to work with would take visiting Asians there to entertain them. Oh, and I love it there, too! :)

It's on of the only places in Richmond that does dim sum (they do it on Sundays for lunch, if I remember correctly).

El Nopal (East End) Great little stop for lunch

Qdoba - Stopped there once and loved it!

Never found a "good" chinese restuarant :(

I agree with Full Kee. About as authentic as you're gonna get in Richmond. I also like Mandarin Palace in the Stratford Hills shopping center. It's been around for ages, but it's still the best Chinese (other than Full Kee) I've had in Richmond.

We have so much great Thai and Vietnamese I don't understand why the Chinese options are so lacking.

nhughes, I have a suggestion for The Bottom.

Walnut Alley is very funky, but why not promote it as "fun" funky? All it would require is a few doors chopped into the rear of existing buildings and some small neon signs attracting customers into the interiors of bars, restaurants and shops whose main entrances are now, and will remain, on Main, 17th, Franklin and 18th streets. The alley running north south in that block as well as other cobble-stoned, car-free alleys could get the same treatment, adding an air of exotic mystique to The Bottom.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks to everyone for the response to my 17th Street queston. Seems like there is some life getting pumped back into that stretch of the Bottom. I need to check out LuLu's for sure. And good for PapaNingo for expanding. That must mean somebody can make it down there. It seems like the names change so frequently in the Bottom. What about the place on the corner next to the old Wildcats? Between Wildcats and Old Butch's rather. It was called the ZOne? And what was that about the St Somewhere... that might be the best spot of all. Can't believe it is just getting sat on. Happy New Year!!

I agree with Full Kee. About as authentic as you're gonna get in Richmond. I also like Mandarin Palace in the Stratford Hills shopping center. It's been around for ages, but it's still the best Chinese (other than Full Kee) I've had in Richmond.

We have so much great Thai and Vietnamese I don't understand why the Chinese options are so lacking.

Despite being owned by the Du family of PEKING fame, I suppose the much touted upscale dd33 on Cox Road south of Broad furthers the Asian/Fusion movement and eschews Chinese provencial dishes.

How is dd33 doing? I enjoyed my experience there.

FULL KEY on Horsepen Road, while not much to look at, is a favorite of local chefs. Its menu offers some rather exotic specials as well as dim sum brunches.

Judging from the lack of bylines the restaurant writers at Style Weekly are off enjoying the holidays.

Maybe Dana will give us a review tomorrow in The times Dispatch. :)

By the way, we are approaching the century mark. I predict that within four weeks this site, which began on May 21st, 2005, will have been "hit" by 100,000 viewers. Currently, the figure is 95,111.

The only topic among Virginia's four area threads on UrbanPlanet that has topped us is Granby Tower in Norfolk which began 07/30/04 and closed on 06/24/07 with a total of 147,939 hits. Then vdogg started the thread again (I don't know why it is split) on 06/27/07 where, to this date, it has rolled up another 32,231 hits...a grand total of 180,170.

And let me frank -- most of the "viewers" on these topics are the same people returning again and again. :lol:

Edited by burt

I thought you all might be interested in a blog posting on Urban Richmond -- or more to the really interesting part, scroll down to the comments section of that post. These comments start back in March, but go through an update posted just yesterday.

It's about Prodigy Partners (who still don't seem to have their website up and running), and a few restaurant ventures they have in the works -- some of which I haven't even heard of.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I had lunch at Tarrant's for the first time in a few months and almost didn't recognize the place. The restaurant has more than doubled in size and was doing brisk business. The kitchen has been moved to the rear of the adjacent space, opening up more room for tables in the original section, and the restaurant has expanded the dining room into an adjacent space as big as the original restaurant.

They appeared to be doing a brisk Saturday lunch business.

I thought you all might be interested in a blog posting on Urban Richmond -- or more to the really interesting part, scroll down to the comments section of that post. These comments start back in March, but go through an update posted just yesterday.

It's about Prodigy Partners (who still don't seem to have their website up and running), and a few restaurant ventures they have in the works -- some of which I haven't even heard of.

Thanks, nhughes. I note that you and I are among the posters on this blog regarding CANVAS. Hayden Fisher of Prodigy Partners still is enthused about the restaurant eventhough there has been a lag in activity.

CANVAS will occupy 306 and 308 East Broad Street. If I envision the location correctly, these buildings are just west of The Broadway Apartments and about 4 doors east of 3rd on the north side of Broad street.

This is slightly off-topic, but IMO, the appearance of the Greater Richmond Convention Center (in the same block as the proposed CANVAS) could be vastly improved. Demolish that embarrassing little tower at the corner of 5th and Broad and replace it with a signature corner frontage -- perhaps a 4-story, well-designed curved entry with a zipper light running along the top from Marshall all around to the end of the building on Broad. It could flash news, weather, and info on what's playing inside as well as at The Coliseum, The National and other present and upcoming entertainment venues in the area.

Further, are there architectural and space requirements that prohibit the inclusion of small retail shops along the Broad street frontage of the CC?

That's another of Burt's 2 cents contributions. :P

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I had lunch at Tarrant's for the first time in a few months and almost didn't recognize the place. The restaurant has more than doubled in size and was doing brisk business. The kitchen has been moved to the rear of the adjacent space, opening up more room for tables in the original section, and the restaurant has expanded the dining room into an adjacent space as big as the original restaurant.

They appeared to be doing a brisk Saturday lunch business.

jbj, this is terrific news about TARRANT's. Is the decor of the expansion similar to the corner building? Did you notice major changes to the menu and pricing?

Does TARRANT's have a web site with photos?

I love Dana's comment about HIGHWATER at Toad's Place -- "Come on, Dana. Who on earth wants filet mignon before rocking out to Rob Zombie?" :lol:

Here is her review from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...01-03-0018.html

She rates the Canal Walk eatery at two and a half stars;

HIGHWATER

140 Virginia Street (Lady Bird Hat Building on Canal Walk)

tel. 804/648-1039

Web site: http://www.highwaterrva.com

Tab for two without booze: $44.

My note: Maybe when URBAN FLATS moves into the floor above, HIGHWATER will tweak its menu.

Edited by burt

Has anyone noticed any activity at "The Rendezvous" space on the south side of Broad between BISTRO TWENTY SEVEN at Adams and TARRANT'S at Foushee?

In October, signs papered the windows of the building(s) promising "Coming Soon" and all sorts of rumors have floated around about it.

a good place for authentic chinese food is China Star, down on Cox Rd. by the Henrico water tower. it's close to Innsbrook. Next to El Paso. It has a separate menu full of delicious Authentic dishes. My favorite is what they call the juicy 3 delicacies noodle soup. it is enough to feed you twice over.

a good place for authentic chinese food is China Star, down on Cox Rd. by the Henrico water tower. it's close to Innsbrook. Next to El Paso. It has a separate menu full of delicious Authentic dishes. My favorite is what they call the juicy 3 delicacies noodle soup. it is enough to feed you twice over.

That's interesting. I haven't even heard of it before. Thanks for the heads up, dklee! :)

O'TOOLE's on Forest Hill Avenue near Westover Hills Blvd is practically doubling in size and is aiming to unveil the new look about March 1st. They have taken over the next door building into which a new, spacier bar will be relocated. There will be open air dining on 48th Street just outside the main entrance.

There is a good story in the current Richmond Magazine (page 106) about this section of South Richmond. There have been a number of improvements including a planting of Crepe Myrtle in the median of Forest Hill from about O'Tool's to Jahnke Road. New businesses are cropping up and old ones, such as CIELITO LINDO and CROSSROADS COFFEE & ICE CREAM are doing brisk business.

Edited by burt

O'TOOLE's on Forest Hill Avenue near Westover Hills Blvd is practically doubling in size and is aiming to unveil the new look about March 1st. They have taken over the next door building into which a new, spacier bar will be relocated. There will be open air dining on 48th Street just outside the main entrance.

I guess the change-over to nonsmoking didn't hurt business at O'TOOLE'S... ^_^

Soon there will be a new Lebanese restaurant debuting on West Broad Street. The sign and the facade have already been changed at 4401 West Broad Street, formerly LA CASITA Mexican Restaurant.

THE PHOENICIAN will be opening soon, per the banner on the front of the building.

Don't worry, the well-loved, Northside LA CASITA at 5204 Brook Road isn't going anywhere...

Awesome! I love Lebanese... I hope it's good and authentic!

Maybe they'll have belly dancers and line dancing like a Lebanese restaurant that used to be further west on Broad (between Westmoreland and Staples Mill). That was some kind of fun -- and good food, too! I think it closed in the 1970's.