Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I am posting Greg Gilligan's entire column from today's inRich because it's about the closing of a famous Fan spot, the resurgence of another Fan food emporium and the closure of RIGATONI at Commonwealth Center in Chesterfield.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...01-07-0025.html

The closing of BOGART's on Lombardy Street will not mean the end of food and music at that site. The new owners are gutting and rebuilding the restaurant space as well as apartments above the famous jazz spot.

BOGART's (not to be confused with an eatery of the same name in Western Henrico) is across the street from Mo Roman's SI.

Has anyone noticed any activity at "The Rendezvous" space on the south side of Broad between BISTRO TWENTY SEVEN at Adams and TARRANT'S at Foushee?

In October, signs papered the windows of the building(s) promising "Coming Soon" and all sorts of rumors have floated around about it.

before this gets lost... i have seen some people going in and out lately, but not construction types. I have no idea what this signifies... but obviously the project is moving somewhere.

Has anyone heard an update of the opening of INFUZION?

Burt, I'm working on an update for my Dish column tomorrow. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the PR people with the official opening info. Right now it looks like they might open very soon, only sans Ice Bar. I'm not sure what the hold up is ... maybe all the polar ice caps officially melted. I'm hoping to have more in time for my deadline.

Karri

Burt, I'm working on an update for my Dish column tomorrow. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the PR people with the official opening info. Right now it looks like they might open very soon, only sans Ice Bar. I'm not sure what the hold up is ... maybe all the polar ice caps officially melted. I'm hoping to have more in time for my deadline.

Karri

Thanks, Karri. Maybe the ice bar part was a myth from the beginning and merely a PR ploy to get everyone talking about INFUZION. If that was intended, I'd say it was successful.

Will look for your Dish column tomorrow.

before this gets lost... i have seen some people going in and out lately, but not construction types. I have no idea what this signifies... but obviously the project is moving somewhere.

I remember noting last fall that the proposed RENDEZVOUS will occupy at least one adjacent ground level space on the south side of Broad between Adams and Foushee streets covering considerable square footage. Since the stretch of West Broad from Belvidere to Foushee streets has blossomed in recent years as the Gallery District, I can think of six restaurants/bars that have popped up in the immediate area: LIFT; COMFORT; POPKIN; BISTRO 27; SKYE and TARRANTS.

I'm too old to keep up with the NY club scene, but one of the rumors was that RENDEZVOUS would be the Richmond prototype of a Manhattan club called BED.

Anybody been to BED? :lol:

Edited by burt

A few things for you guys:

1.) If you haven't already, check out the "Letters" section of today's Style for a rebuttal to Je Depew's "Back Page" about the failure of JUMPIN' J'S in Church Hill. The two authors of the letters are Bill Hartsock (a Church Hill resident), and Andy Howell (former owner of AVENUE 805, currently involved in CAFE RUSTICA).

2.) There is a new club open in Shockoe Bottom. FALLOUT is an industrial, fallout-shelter themed restaurant/bar, taking the place of BOTTOM'S BILLIARDS at 117 North 18th Street.

3.) There is some activity at the old WILDCATS/MOONDANCE location at 9 North 17th Street. I couldn't tell what was being done exactly, but there is definitely something brewing...

A few things for you guys:

1.) If you haven't already, check out the "Letters" section of today's Style for a rebuttal to Je Depew's "Back Page" about the failure of JUMPIN' J'S in Church Hill. The two authors of the letters are Bill Hartsock (a Church Hill resident), and Andy Howell (former owner of AVENUE 805, currently involved in CAFE RUSTICA).

2.) There is a new club open in Shockoe Bottom. FALLOUT is an industrial, fallout-shelter themed restaurant/bar, taking the place of BOTTOM'S BILLIARDS at 117 North 18th Street.

3.) There is some activity at the old WILDCATS/MOONDANCE location at 9 North 17th Street. I couldn't tell what was being done exactly, but there is definitely something brewing...

Can anyone find a website for fallout? I am at a loss on finding one...

Burt... Ill see if the rend. footprint has increased or not...

Thanks for the update, Nat.

Seems to me I've seen the "fallout" bar/restaurant theme mentioned elsewhere -- as if it is the latest national bar fad. Isn't it right next door to ELEMENT on 18th street?

Wildcats is supposed to be the site of DEUCES ARE WILD, the "dualing pianos" bar that will be another in FAT DADDY's empire.

Thanks for the update, Nat.

Seems to me I've seen the "fallout" bar/restaurant theme mentioned elsewhere -- as if it is the latest national bar fad. Isn't it right next door to ELEMENT on 18th street?

Wildcats is supposed to be the site of DEUCES ARE WILD, the "dualing pianos" bar that will be another in FAT DADDY's empire.

DEUCES WILD was abandoned at the old WILDCATS location. The owner of BIG DADDY'S had too much else going on, and the space was too small for the big response he was getting. I don't know what the new plan is, but it's not from BIG DADDY'S this time around.

FALLOUT is indeed next to ELEMENT. I think it's between MARS BAR and ELEMENT, actually. And journiyin, I tried for a bit to find a website for FALLOUT without any luck, either.

DEUCES WILD was abandoned at the old WILDCATS location. The owner of BIG DADDY'S had too much else going on, and the space was too small for the big response he was getting. I don't know what the new plan is, but it's not from BIG DADDY'S this time around.

FALLOUT is indeed next to ELEMENT. I think it's between MARS BAR and ELEMENT, actually. And journiyin, I tried for a bit to find a website for FALLOUT without any luck, either.

Fallout is run by the same folks that own Mars Bar and seems to be exclusively and industrial/goth club. Tried getting in once and was turned away I assume because I didn't fit the look ;) I think they already have their clientelle so marketing doesn't seem to be a priority. I'd be interested to hear what may be going on in the old Wildcats building.

Does anyone know when the new Lebanese place (the phoenecian) will open. My wife said that she saw them putting the sign up today.

I loves me some kibbeh and tabouleh :P !

Also, good news about the New India on Lakeside. Right near my wife and my workplaces!!

I would like to post a little something about Robin Inn. It has been a long while since I have been there but I don't remember it being so bad. I hate to be a critic (mmmm, well maybe a little) but it sucked. Service was good, food was horrible. We probably will not go there again. Maybe it's time for new ownership. It's too bad some kick-ass chef doesn't have a crack at this location.

NEW INDIA is the spot that once was LA GRILLE on Lakeside Avnue. Deveron Timberlake at Style says reports are that the tandoori dishes are exceptionally good.

ROBIN INN has occupied that corner on Robinson for years. It is (or was) owned by the Loupassi family. I never cared for it; preferred JOE'S INN on Shields.

Incidentally I posted Gilligan's column Monday about JOE's taking over the Shields Market across from the Inn. It was a kind of convenience market that closed recently. JOE's management will restore it as a market once again and the plan is offer a larger and better of roceries than before - perhaps even some produce and prepared meals.

Does Big Daddy's pull-out mean that he needs a larger space than Wildcat's for his proposed Piano bar, or am I reading something into your remark above, Nat? When you say it "was too small for the big response he was getting", it sounds like there is a big potential audience for a piano bar.

Does Big Daddy's pull-out mean that he needs a larger space than Wildcat's for his proposed Piano bar, or am I reading something into your remark above, Nat? When you say it "was too small for the big response he was getting", it sounds like there is a big potential audience for a piano bar.

I would be curioys to know whats happening at Wildcats then, if its not going to be a piano bar.

Here it is, folks! The first review of LULU's, and Dana Craig has pulled out the superlatives and dusted off all the stars in her repertoire :yahoo: ::

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...01-10-0018.html

LULU's

Four Stars!!

21 N. 17th street

804/643-9771

http://www.lu-lusrichmond.com

And all this for a mere 60 bucks per couple (sans nips)

The Bottom is being revived avec la difference! :alc:

Edited by burt

Here are some more good words about LULU's from our friend, Karri Peifer at Ric dot com:

http://www.richmond.com/restaurants-dining...d=23290&p=1

Karri also discusses other eateries, GRANNY WADE's among them. I can unequivacally say that if they are still using plastic utencils, I wouldn't darken their door unless it's for take-out.

And Karri, did you get any response from INFUZION?

Edited by burt

Here are some more good words about LULU's from our friend, Karri Peifer at Ric dot com:

http://www.richmond.com/restaurants-dining...d=23290&p=1

Karri also discusses other eateries, GRANNY WADE's among them. I can unequivacally say that if they are still using plastic utencils, I wouldn't darken their door unless it's for take-out.

And Karri, did you get any response from INFUZION?

I didn't. The unoffical word is that the soft opening is this Saturday, but they never called me back to confirm I could print it. I'm still waiting for another return call, but it might actually be on Saturday.

I'm also waiting for some info on a possible new restaurant going in place of Mio's in the west end.

Karri

Check the second page Burt - there is more.

Apparently Infuzion ran into "ice shipping delays" that will push back the grand opening.

Oooops, I missed the item, Karri. Thanks for directing me to it, CommRe. I hope that's the real reason for it not being ready as scheduled. The Ice Bar was the attention-getting feature on its web site.

Has anyone noticed any activity at "The Rendezvous" space on the south side of Broad between BISTRO TWENTY SEVEN at Adams and TARRANT'S at Foushee?

In October, signs papered the windows of the building(s) promising "Coming Soon" and all sorts of rumors have floated around about it.

Burt, there hasn't been anything that I've seen next door But I'll take another look Tuesday

Jimmy Redneck Sneed still knows his way around a six-burner, but he's lost it as a host.

Here's Dana Craig's two-and-a-half-star take on his new collaboration:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...01-17-0012.html

CARENA'S JAMAICAN GRILLE

7102 Midlothian Tpk.

tel. 804/422-5375

http://www.422jerk.com

Tab for two: $46

Edited by burt