Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Rats! I was hoping for the piano bar at Moondance/Wildcats.

Do you know if the proposed North African will be a new entry in the city or maybe a Bottom extension of NILE ETHIOPIAN on Laurel Street?

Just a reminder to you guys and gals, I'll be retiring as a contributor to this site as well as Richmond City Watch when the readership gauge passes the 100,000 mark (it's now at 98,122). I started this thread about two and a half years ago, but at 80, it's time to turn over the reins.

Uh oh.....guess we'd better slow down how many times a day we check out this thread then! We can't lose Burt! :cry::shok:

Oh, and no I don't know who is doing the restaurant. I've had a few people asking about starting Ethiopian restaurants over the past year or so, so I imagine it's probably a new player.

We have BOJANGLES here already, or at least we used to. I can't think of where it was, and it's not on the list of locations from their website. I guess it's not there anymore, then... Anyone remember where it used to be?

On another note, rumor has it the former MOONDANCE/WILDCATS on North 17th Street will be an Ethiopian restaurant.

Thanks for that tip nhughes. I don't think anyone had heard anything about that place except that the piano bar was off the table. Lots of great infill happening in the Bottom. With this momentum maybe we'll see a day in the near future with NO abandoned storefronts down there :)

Anyone got a critique of Infuzion? Sounds very interesting.

Infuzion Ice Bar

There are several critiques of infuzion in the rants and raves part of craigslist. However, I don't know how accurate most of it is.

My take on the place: I went Saturday night. Its like nothing RVA has right now (and maybe has ever had) as far as a club experience goes. There are two main rooms/settings--the lounge and the club. The lounge is nicely furnished, has its own bar, and consists of 4 smaller rooms connected via a central hallway. The club area is one big room. As you enter the club, you see two huge projection screens on the far wall, a DJ booth and a long bar to the right, a VIP seating area (and what will be the Ice Bar) to the left. The state of the art sound and lighting systems are well utilized in the 5,000 sq ft club area, which also has what seems to be 18-20 foot ceilings...There are a few minor kinks related to bar management, but nothing out of the ordinary for a new business. Of course, the place was also extremely crowded, so waiting for a drink was somewhat inevitable. I imagine we'll hear several glowing reviews of the place before too much longer. I know I'll definitely visit again :)

Jason, that's a fantastic review of INFUZION. Did you notice anone actually dining, and if so, in which room -- the lounge or the club? Any timeline on opening of The Ice Bar? How's the parking situation? Is the crowd a diverse mix?

Sounds like INFUZION, at the northwest corner of Clay and Roseneath in Scotts Addition is the "It" club that Richmond hasn't known since CAFFEIN's.

Here's Deveron's take on blogger coverage as reported to her by owners of new bars and restaurants:

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=16206

To begin with, I don't believe we are called a "blog", and even if, posters here rarely critique a spot on opening night.

The new Cuban place at 623 North 25th street called QUE PASA has Church Hill residents and others piling in eventhough a liquor license has not yet been obtained.

MOSHI MOSHI at 3321 West Cary in Carytown sounds like a great new Japanese spot to put on your list.

And the owner of INFUZION on Roseneath Road was not deterred by some rash opening-nighter comments about service. See the very favorable report on INFUZION two or three postings above.

Edited by burt

This week's Style has a cover story that I find interesting and quite upbeat about local entertainment venues in the city. It discusses the disadvantages the ABC board imposes with its state-backed liquor regime. But it also lets us know that the music scene in Richmond is getting National attention.

For instance, TOADS PLACE presented 70 concerts in the few months it was open in 2007 (several weeks without a liquor license) and attracted more than 60,000. It has had sell-outs so far in '08 and is about to go head-to-head with the glamorous NATIONAL when it opens in February. Not too many midsized markets have two 1500-capacity halls devoted to young music.

CAPITAL ALE MUSIC HALL is successful and THE CAMEL is ironing out its problems.

There are a number of venues I've never heard about -- for example THE EMPIRE (not the theatre, but a club on Broad at Laurel.)

Edited by burt

Jason, that's a fantastic review of INFUZION. Did you notice anone actually dining, and if so, in which room -- the lounge or the club? Any timeline on opening of The Ice Bar? How's the parking situation? Is the crowd a diverse mix?

Sounds like INFUZION, at the northwest corner of Clay and Roseneath in Scotts Addition is the "It" club that Richmond hasn't known since CAFFEIN's.

Thanks. No, I didn't notice anyone eating, but keep in mind--I didn't arrive until 11:45 PM. The Ice Bar part opens when they have the grand opening, which should be in the nest 3-4 weeks...Infuzion has a parking lot for maybe 40-50 cars, but there's also tons of parking b/c no other businesses are open at that time of night in that area (for now). The crowd started off diverse, but by 12:30 AM it was entirely gay. I imagine different nights will cater to different clientele (since each has a different theme, such as salsa night, etc). I never went to Cafein's, but it will probably similar. Although with the immense amount of security, I doubt it will have the problems Cafein's had.

Oh, the best part about Infuzion. Its entirely SMOKE FREE.

This week's Style has a cover story that I find interesting and quite upbeat about local entertainment venues in the city. It discusses the disadvantages the ABC board imposes with its state-backed liquor regime. But it also lets us know that the music scene in Richmond is getting National attention.

For instance, TOADS PLACE presented 70 concerts in the few months it was open in 2007 (several weeks without a liquor license) and attracted more than 60,000. It has had sell-outs so far in '08 and is about to go head-to-head with the glamorous NATIONAL when it opens in February. Not too many midsized markets have two 1500-capacity halls devoted to young music.

CAPITAL ALE MUSIC HALL is successful and THE CAMEL is ironing out its problems.

There are a number of venues I've never heard about -- for example THE EMPIRE (not the theatre, but a club on Broad at Laurel.)

EMPIRE is carrying on a long-standing punk scene/music venue tradition.

ROCKITZ --> METRO --> SWEETWATER --> EMPIRE

(I may have some of the names slightly off, so feel free to correct me.)

Although, I don't know where EMPIRE holds the bands. Do they use the space upstairs that METRO and ROCKITZ used, or do they have the bands on the street level in the main bar?

-----------------

And EMPIRE happens to be right beside THE NILE, which used to be HOLE IN THE WALL, a tiny bar that had bands a lot of the time too.

Edited by nhughes

Dana Craig gets assailed by a responder for her star system, unfairly in my view. Her review this week is of HIDDEN TREASURE RESTAURANT in Jackson Ward, practically where the Convention Center forms a dead end for Clay Street..

She has given it two stars, and there is nothing in her critique that suggests it should be lower when her rating range is one to four stars. True, the restaurant has faults such as friendly but lackluster service and a surprising over-abundance of vittles sprinkled with too much or too little seasoning. In the long view, having read her appraisal, I certainly intend to visit HIDDEN TREASURE on my next visit in March and will be knowledgable about how to order. Further, HIDDEN TREASURE ownership, if it's wise, may make a few beneficial changes now that word is out.

It is in the basement of an old town house. There are tables set with white linens and candles; warm yellow walls decorated with primitive art; a fireplace; and lo and behold no distracting noise! :)

Homemade desserts include peach cobbler and an annoyingly sweet Carrot Cake. But I fail to understand why, as Dana says, an adjoining party of four kvetched about paying $5.25 each for their after dinner sweet. They may not have liked it, but is that price out of order in Richmond restaurants?

HIDDEN TREASURE RESTAURANT

219 East Clay Street

tel. 804/225-9048

Smoke free.

Noise Level: Low

Tab for two: $57

I wonder if they have full bar service?

Homemade desserts include peach cobbler and an annoyingly sweet Carrot Cake. But I fail to understand why, as Dana says, an adjoining party of four kvetched about paying $5.25 each for their after dinner sweet. They may not have liked it, but is that price out of order in Richmond restaurants?

I stay away from buying dessert out, so maybe I'm not the best judge, BUT it does sound a little high. I would expect more like $3.50-4.50.

What I really like is when I've seen smaller desserts, and smaller dessert prices. I would be much more inclined to buy a $1.00-1.50 bite-sized treat, rather than a $4.00 dessert that's way too big for one person. Of course, I've bought plenty of desserts to share, but there's a resistance in my mind to spend so much on a dessert.

I feel like it's more of a marketing or psychology of sales issue.

I stay away from buying dessert out, so maybe I'm not the best judge, BUT it does sound a little high. I would expect more like $3.50-4.50.

What I really like is when I've seen smaller desserts, and smaller dessert prices. I would be much more inclined to buy a $1.00-1.50 bite-sized treat, rather than a $4.00 dessert that's way too big for one person. Of course, I've bought plenty of desserts to share, but there's a resistance in my mind to spend so much on a dessert.

I feel like it's more of a marketing or psychology of sales issue.

Most of my eating-out in Richmond has been in restaurants where the average dessert price is in the six dollar range. And remember when you could get a decent glass of wine for four bucks? Now, the price is upward of $7.

Hello again everyone,

It's been a while since my last/first post - we had a big cardiology exam today so my time was almost completely consumed over the past few weeks. Anyway, I'm taking my girlfriend to Julep's for Valentine's Day and I'm wondering if any of you had any recommendations in terms of dishes and whatnot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello again everyone,

It's been a while since my last/first post - we had a big cardiology exam today so my time was almost completely consumed over the past few weeks. Anyway, I'm taking my girlfriend to Julep's for Valentine's Day and I'm wondering if any of you had any recommendations in terms of dishes and whatnot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My old brain doesn't recall what I've had at JULEP's on my several visits, VPD, but I can almost guarantee you will enjoy your meal as well as the ambiance.

I'm going to dig back in this thread to see if I can uncover remarks made by a charming couple who used to visit here before moving to Taos -- Mr. and Mrs. Bugsy, they called themselves -- and they were very pleased with their JULEP's experience.

I was looking for Bugsy's review of JULEP's and came upon some pix by gentphoo of Scandinavian Ice Bars. I tried to bring them forward since INFUZION is weeks away from opening its very own Ice Room, but they didn't travel well.

I'm geting hot in my search for Bugsy's JULEP comments, so bear with me, please.

Edited by burt

juleps review

mr and mrs bugsy took our richmond farewell dinner at juleps this past saturday. starters were sweet pea cakes for mrs and fried green tomatoes for me. we both thought that they could have put a little more pizazz in the peas, perhaps by breading and grilling the exterior. they were like squashed peas, good but not exciting. the fried green were as good as ever. we'll miss this dish.

mains were scallops for mrs and halibut grilled and put on top of scrambled eggs and mushrooms for me. this halibut dish was really one of the best dishes i've been served in richmond. we had a bottle of oregon pinot gris (A to Z ) at $23/bt. perhaps the best wine value at a restaurant in town ( i think it's $15 or 16 retail)

i don't have the details on mrs bugsy's dish; she liked it so much she wasn't in the sharing mode.

best to all on this board and when we visit richmond again, we'll post again.

Here it is, VPD -- The JULEP's review I was seeking. The Bugsy's are a very erudite couple and I miss their comments.

GIBSON's, Johnny and Katrina Giavos' new restaurant planned for the National Theater at 7th and Broad streets will not open until late April or early May. Concerts have been booked into the Hall beginning late February. How they will be affected by the restaurant situation is not yet clear.

The Historic Richmond Grand Opening Gala has been postponed from February 9th and now is rescheduled for April 19th.

GIBSON's, Johnny and Katrina Giavos' new restaurant planned for the National Theater at 7th and Broad streets will not open until late April or early May. Concerts have been booked into the Hall beginning late February. How they will be affected by the restaurant situation is not yet clear.

The Historic Richmond Grand Opening Gala has been postponed from February 9th and now is rescheduled for April 19th.

Not a reply to the above...But has anyone heard about the closing of Acapella's on Church Hill or of the pending closing of Cafe Gutenburg?? Can't believe this

Not a reply to the above...But has anyone heard about the closing of Acapella's on Church Hill or of the pending closing of Cafe Gutenburg?? Can't believe this

Yeah I had heard about Cafe Gutenberg but not Acapella's. Gutenberg is for sale and hopefully can find a good owner to keep it running. Can't imagine the Bottom without it. Also heard that Carytown Wine and Beer will be closing. Perhaps we're seeing the results of market over-saturation and an ailing nationwide economy.

Yeah I had heard about Cafe Gutenberg but not Acapella's. Gutenberg is for sale and hopefully can find a good owner to keep it running. Can't imagine the Bottom without it. Also heard that Carytown Wine and Beer will be closing. Perhaps we're seeing the results of market over-saturation and an ailing nationwide economy.

Hey all, Carytown Wine and Beer is offically closed. I also got an email from the owners of Acapella on Monday. They closed 1/31 because they lost their lease and they're not actively looking for a new one.

I did not, however, hear about Cafe Gutenberg, one of my local favorites! That's terrible.