Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

52 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

Maybe to keep playing kids from running into the street?  I've always been struck by how overly wide this 12th is, not very good for pedestrians especially kids. 

And that particular part of 12th has a lot of pedestrians, including small children, crossing mid-street at all times of day.    

The sidewalk on the right side of the picture is being replaced right now.   Another rip-out-and-replace-perfectly-good-sidewalk project.   

Edgehill Homes is evidently on the list for MDHA to revamp at a future date. MDHA is getting grant money to convert to more mixed income housing as opposed to only low income housing.  Right now they are focusing on the Cayce Homes redevelopment in East Nashville. After that they will be addressing Edgehill Homes.  Realistically, they are probably 5 years away at the earliest.  10 years is probably more likely.  We do know that any redevelopment will include the same number of low income units that are there currently (380). Also, there is evidently a minimum requirement of non-low income housing that must be included for Rental Assistance Demonstration funds from the federal government. I've seen evidence that it is no more than 20% and other places no more than 50% subsidized housing.  If the 20% number is the case then Edgehill Homes will turn into 1900 units.  If 50% is the number then there will be 760 units. Either way, there will be increased density, and if the former is true then we would see some mid rise proposals coming from the area.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Major changes being considered on traffic/pedestrian flow for 8th Ave. South/Franklin Pike between Wedgwood Ave. on the north and Berry Hill Rd.on the south.

I'm all for road diets, but TDOT is showing nearly 21,000 vehicles per day on Franklin Pike north of Bradford Avenue in 2014. Unless that roadway has abnormally low K-values (and judging by what I've seen during rush hours, it doesn't), that's pushing it.

27 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I think the biggest priority should be improving the street for pedestrian use. It's nearly impossible for me to walk from my apartment to any of the restaurants, shops, etc. less than half a mile away. I've had several near-misses while running and walking in and around the area. Hopefully the apartments and condos under construction will help a bit with that, but the city needs to have oversight in order to create some consistency and uniformity.

VSRJ you are 100% correct, 8th between 2300 apts and the restaurants is a death trap, poorly lit, no sidewalks, seems like a matter of time. Hopefully Nashville/Berry Hill will be more proactive than reactive and get that corrected before it's too late. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Did a little hiking around the Summit Office Park parcel on the hill overlooking the I-65 and Old Hickory Blvd. interchange just north of the Brentwood border.  The 15-acre site is much larger than it appears when looking upward from surrounding roads. The plan is for a couple of central buildings (one around 13 stories, and one around 10) along with a couple of shorter structures, and hundreds of parking spaces in garages underneath. A total of 480,000 sq. ft. of Grade A office space is projected.  They have set up a viewing deck from the western edge of the property for showcasing to prospective clients.  It's going to be a substantial piece of work. One curiosity is if they will retain the large water tank at the summit, and if so, how would that be incorporated into the layout. I have included a link from The Tennessean article of 11 months ago announcing the development, and a screen shot from Smeaglesfree's Nashville Development Map:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/04/15/two-suitors-remain-prime-rolling-mill-hill-parcels/83095494/

Looking southwestward from along the western edge of the property at the observation deck:

Summit Office Park 1, April 2016.jpg

Looking northeast from the observation deck with the Target Shopping Center along Old Hickory Blvd:

Summit Office Park 2, April 2016.jpg

Looking westward from the observation deck across the I-65/Old Hickory interchange with Maryland Farms in the distance:

Summit Office Park 3, April 2016.jpg

From closer to the summit looking northward.  I think once most of the trees are cleared at the top, and certainly from higher floors of the buildings one should get a nice view of the downtown skyline in the distance.

Summit_Office_Park_4,_April_2016.jpg

Summit Office Park 5, April 2016.png

Rendering of the two central towers from the billboard near the entrance of the site:

Summit Office Park 6, April 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

I'm curious, has anyone seen an overview or plans for the apartments under construction at 2350 Franklin Pike (adjacent to 23Hundred -- I believe on the site of the former Jaguar/Audi dealership)? I've done some digging but haven't been able to find anything, which is strange as it seems most projects' plans are available on nashville.gov. I'm just interested to see the layout of the building, as I'm having a hard time figuring out how it will wrap around the parking garage and the former Sylvan Park building. All I can find is the rendering (pictured below).

lennar.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/04/19/why-mark-deutschmann-probably-wont-make-more-buys.html

Mark Deutchmann in the NBJ talking about the next area to take off. Wedgwood Houston property values are now sky high and he thinks the area around the Nolensville Rd corridor is where to invest now. I  remember reading not long ago that he is developing in the Trevecca/Polk Ave area. Bongo Java moving there, etc. Makes sense. It's close to the city center and there are large industrial lots developers could do a lot with.

Affordable housing for all those people working downtown seems to be a perfect fit

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/04/19/why-mark-deutschmann-probably-wont-make-more-buys.html

Mark Deutchmann in the NBJ talking about the next area to take off. Wedgwood Houston property values are now sky high and he thinks the area around the Nolensville Rd corridor is where to invest now. I  remember reading not long ago that he is developing in the Trevecca/Polk Ave area. Bongo Java moving there, etc. Makes sense. It's close to the city center and there are large industrial lots developers could do a lot with.

Affordable housing for all those people working downtown seems to be a perfect fit

This possibly bodes well for the Preston's getting approval on their new development next to I-40.  Since things are starting to boom down that way, it will hopefully push the MDHA to approve the height.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/20/11467110/san-francisco-solar-density

This starts of talking about solar but then makes the point that, if you allow more density/height it cuts down on a lot of things. It could be a interesting read for all the planning folks. Lots of links in the article too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/20/11467110/san-francisco-solar-density

This starts of talking about solar but then makes the point that, if you allow more density/height it cuts down on a lot of things. It could be a interesting read for all the planning folks. Lots of links in the article too. 

That article had a link to another I found even more interesting, http://www.vox.com/2016/4/14/11424532/mark-farrel-housing

The point being that land use policies are enacted with no study of their cost. Requiring a cost analysis could lead to higher density and lower housing costs.  His biases are revealed in the phrase "anti-development busybodies", but it's a phrase I agree with; such people get a free ride in the current system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Nashville Post today:

New York City-based developer Justin Koziol is targeting a Wedgewood-Houston-area site for a five-story building that would feature micro-apartments, Nashville Business Journal reports.Koziol, chief operating officer of Brooklyn-based BentoBox LLC, told NBJ the property on which the 82-unit building would rise has an address of 1267 Third Ave. S. 

The micro-units will range in size from about 300 square feet to about 550 square feet and be priced, tentatively, starting at $1,400.

Screenshot 2016-05-10 20.54.08.png

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post today:

New York City-based developer Justin Koziol is targeting a Wedgewood-Houston-area site for a five-story building that would feature micro-apartments, Nashville Business Journal reports.Koziol, chief operating officer of Brooklyn-based BentoBox LLC, told NBJ the property on which the 82-unit building would rise has an address of 1267 Third Ave. S. 

The micro-units will range in size from about 300 square feet to about 550 square feet and be priced, tentatively, starting at $1,400.

Screenshot 2016-05-10 20.54.08.png

That pricing is just humorous. I believe they have really overestimated the market. This is a corner of Nashville, not their home of Brooklyn. Another sign of an apartment bubble, maybe? 

Man, I'm glad that WeHo is becoming such a hot neighborhood, but I've gotta say, I can't for the life of me figure out why it is, or what it has going for it aside from the fact that it is in Nashville.  Someone with more experience in that neighborhood please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, there's damn near nothing in that neighborhood aside from a few blocks of lower-middle class single family housing from the 70's/80's, and some light industrial buildings.  

Edited by BnaBreaker