Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Anybody know what is happening with the motel (Rodeway I think) at the Old Hickory Blvd exit 62 on I-24 in Antioch.  It's across OHB at the TA Truck stop.  The motel looks closed with a temp chain link fence all around it.  I have heard it will be another truck stop like Loves or Flying J.  The truck traffic there is very heavy.  So I'm hoping it is not a truck stop.

The Alloy condominium development that will anchor the Alloy on Tech Hill near Travecca Nazarene University, will be started this fall.  81-units. Some beautiful views of the city from this vantage point.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20832941/october-start-set-for-south-nashville-project

Alloy_1.57d044c7db03b.jpg

Screenshot 2016-09-07 15.43.32.png

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The future of 12th South and Wedgewood area, from Boom Mag (Post). http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/20833346/split-personality

Screen_Shot_2016_09_11_at_9.43.05_PM.57d6185513fca.jpg

I'm curious who did the mock up of hypothetical future infill.  They did a pretty good job with that.  

The article mentions the Archer at 12th row homes, just north of the Wedgewood/12th intersection.    The little neighborhood between 12th and 8th from Archer to South St. is undergoing a major transformation.   Small post-war ranches and duplexes are being scraped at a rapid rate and replaced with double tall skinnies, all of which have a very contemporary design.    I'd say easily half the single family houses in Google's last image below are not there anymore.   

Rose_Park.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, claya91 said:

Still disappointed the Discount Tobacco didn't meet the bulldozer. That intersection is such an eyesore for Belmont. 

I suspect that it's coming in the future. The investor that currently owns the old discount tobacco store and the adjacent building that was previously united neighborhood clinic and now is a sports orthopedic urgent treatment center. Together, those two lots could likely support a building 5-7 stories tall with ground level retail and a couple hundred residences. The same investor also own the Thai Esane lot further north on 12th nearer to the Gulch. 

Regarding Greer Stadium: Metro announces that "planning and parks departments will choose a company by the end of this year to envision an overhaul of the site. It's likely that the stadium will be demolished."

Two public meetings will be held about the future of the Greer site at the Adventure Science Center, at 800 Fort Negley Blvd. One will occur Sept. 21, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.; the other will occur Sept. 24, from 8:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.

The Tennessean's coverage on this includes a 55-image slide show on the history of Greer Stadium:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson /2016/09/14/nashville-kick-off-talks-greer-stadiums-future/90361022/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/09/14/metro-ready-to-discuss-a-greer-stadium-overhaul-as.html

Group pushes to turn Greer Stadium into a Tennis Park:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/nashville-sounds/blog/20833623/group-pushes-to-turn-greer-stadium-into-tennis-courts

GreerStadium_WideShot_MiLB_.57d93798e163b.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I'd be fine if Nashville was awarded an MLS team, they renovated this stadium. 

Man I really want an MLS team here. I believe we can get one. We got a bunch of millionaires behind this. Plus Nashville clearly loves soccer. Charlotte doesn't really have any financial backing for an MLS team, so that heighten our chances.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I'd be fine if Nashville was awarded an MLS team, they renovated this stadium. 

I don't really understand how Greer could be renovated to become an MLS stadium.  I mean, it seems like with all the work they'd have to do they'd more or less just be building a brand new stadium...I mean the seats aren't even oriented in the right direction...I'd love for it to happen, but I just don't see it...what am I missing?

30 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't really understand how Greer could be renovated to become an MLS stadium.  I mean, it seems like with all the work they'd have to do they'd more or less just be building a brand new stadium...I mean the seats aren't even oriented in the right direction...I'd love for it to happen, but I just don't see it...what am I missing?

The Braves' soon-to-be former Turner Field will be converted into a football stadium for Georgia State University, so it's definitely possible with a little creativity: http://www.11alive.com/news/local/recreation-board-gives-final-ok-to-turner-field-sale/253919422

tighter turner football stadium_1466716840960_3350458_ver1.0.PNG

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Yankee Stadium is utilized for the MLS Red Bulls. However, I was more talking about razing Greer Stadium and using the site for an MLS stadium. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

The primary benefit in using Greer Stadium is that the costs of renovation can be spread out over a number of years. Nashville SC or its MLS analogue could technically start play in the facility for nothing, though they would likely spend some relatively small amount to dress it up, fix critical maintenance issues, etc. As the club started to bankroll money they could slowly convert it in phases over a number of off-seasons. At the very least it would be easier to get financing for smaller chunks than all at once for a new facility.

In fact, Greer Stadium is not poorly situated for conversion. The field will fit a FIFA pitch in a north-south orientation with only portions of the warning track needing turf. This puts the first-base seats about 20 yards off the sideline, which is acceptable. You may recall that the right field bleachers point to shallow center, which is workable for soccer, and the lack of seating in left field means every existing seat in the house is at least marketable, if not ideal for the sport. Boom, 10,000-seat soccer stadium. The only real hurdle is that the guitar scoreboard would hypothetically be obstructed by any new seating in left field, meaning it would need to be relocated or (more likely) replaced.

Ultimately, though, you're right, it's more trouble than it's worth. It's in poor shape, in a location with no convenient access from major highways and little room for redevelopment. It's not particularly historic, unlike Al Lang Field and Providence Park, two other former ballparks renovated into permanent soccer facilities. Honestly, I'd rather scrap the soccer stadium, tennis complex, even the city fields (Rose Park is a half-mile away, people). Just let it become part of Fort Negley, we're abusing that resource as it is.

• Like 2

On September 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM, nashbill said:

Anybody know what is happening with the motel (Rodeway I think) at the Old Hickory Blvd exit 62 on I-24 in Antioch.  It's across OHB at the TA Truck stop.  The motel looks closed with a temp chain link fence all around it.  I have heard it will be another truck stop like Loves or Flying J.  The truck traffic there is very heavy.  So I'm hoping it is not a truck stop.

The Rodeway Motel is gone at this location.  It went down fast.  Now they are just cleaning up the debris.  Still no sign as to what the plan is here.  I hate when construction sites such as this do not have a coming soon sign.  I am unimportant but I need to know.  Don't know why.  Anybody know if there are plans for this site?  Please, not another truck stop.

There should be a soccer/MLS thread. But what chance does Nashville have making it into the MLS. They're expanding to 28. They already got MPLS, ATL, and a second LA franchise. Miami was suppose to be the 24th, but they're currently experiencing alot of problems down there, so it may not happen. Pretty sure Sacremento is going to happen. Cincy too. St Louis is experiencing alot of problems financially so it may not happen either. San Diego isn't really attractive from a sports perspective as the chargers may be moving to LA.

What do yall think

Edited by Nashtitans

23 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

But what chance does Nashville have making it into the MLS.

Soccer Stadium Digest has a monthly post on the expansion odds for different markets. The latest version is here. Of course the actual handicaps are for rough comparison purposes, no one knows exactly and new developments (such as ownership groups with deep pockets) can shake things up quickly.

I'd be fine with an NPSL or USL team, whichever one shakes out as the second division. We don't have to have major league everything, it's not necessarily realistic. And the lower-division teams can have just as much impact as the MLS sides as long as they aren't farm teams or reserve squads (the latter of which is quickly filling up USL, perhaps unfortunately).

Really what the system needs, especially in this adolescent stage, is promotion and relegation. There are plenty of clubs punching above their weight, like FC Cincinnati and Indy Eleven. Chattanooga FC, an amateur team, drew over 18,000 people to Finley Stadium last year, while playing a reserve squad. The financial structuring of the MLS aside, given the rapid expansion of soccer in the US and the sometimes lengthy feeling-out process for new franchises it would make more sense just to let the market sort it out on its own rather than trying to run things like the other American pro sports.