Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

It is true indeed... I saw that post on Facebook and went with my wife for our first time last night. Delicious food and great atmosphere. It's a shame that they are closing, but I got the impression their landlord is being less than agreeable and that forced the change.

On a more positive note. Permit pulled for a half milion on the old MAC's Market (1305 Galatin). I guess Oasis Market will happen.

Drove by there last night and made a wish as I tossed a penny in the parking lot, must've worked. 

Also looking forward to Rudie's Seafood/Sausage/Taproom where old Mitchell's was previously. They took out a wall and are adding what used to be Sip's next door I believe? 

And I wonder what/who in the world will go where Watanabe is? Such a great location. 

I've been reading this forum for about two years.  Figured I'd finally sign up.  I wanted to say a quick thanks to everybody who has posted here, I've enjoyed knowing whats changing/being built a solid 6-12 months before most people hear or see anything.  It's a lot of a fun.

Also, heres another article on the Watanabe closing:

http://theeastnashvillian.com/blog/ENblogs/east-nashvilles-watanabe-is-closing-and-heres-why

• Like 1

I've been reading this forum for about two years.  Figured I'd finally sign up.  I wanted to say a quick thanks to everybody who has posted here, I've enjoyed knowing whats changing/being built a solid 6-12 months before most people hear or see anything.  It's a lot of a fun.

http://theeastnashvillian.com/blog/ENblogs/east-nashvilles-watanabe-is-closing-and-heres-why

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to make it to our next meet on December 6th!

Welcome to the forum as well. In case there are people I have missed, you are very welcome as well. So many folks are joining in the conversations on the board, it is almost impossible to keep track of all the new posters here. These are exciting times for Nashville, and the people on this board miss nothing when it comes to development in Nashville.  Thanks to all of you.

So rent went up and the hassle of managing several different themed restaurants got to him?

Wish he had closed BF or Drifters (I like that BTE is more of a bar), they don't hold a candle to the quality of Watanabe.

Hopefully the site does not sit unused for too long.

• Like 1

I've been reading this forum for about two years. Figured I'd finally sign up. I wanted to say a quick thanks to everybody who has posted here, I've enjoyed knowing whats changing/being built a solid 6-12 months before most people hear or see anything. It's a lot of a fun.

Welcome to the forum. Reading into your screen name a little, do you live in Highland Heights? If so, we are neighbors. Edited by nashvillwill

Curious what people think of the two new construction homes built close to the intersection of 17th and Eastland? Not the duplex, but the 2 very large detached homes right behind the white colonial that fronts Eastland -- https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1821133,-86.7385836,3a,90y,267.14h,68.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOozwkfWkH2sItsW8rzFZgg!2e0!6m1!1e1

I personally think they're quite tasteful and very nice with substantial architectural details, but I saw a "Build like you live next door" sign right next door, which made me wonder what others thought of them and perhaps I was in the minority

Lots of people put out "build like you live next door" signs as a general statement that is not necessarily directed at what is going in literally next door.  I'm not sure about the specific neighborhood conversation at 17th/Eastland per se.  Most comments that I have heard about those specific buildings behind the Colonial Revival were positive.  Much more positive than some of the other buildings that the same developer put across the street or in other spots nearby that prompted the expansion of the Conservation Zoning Overlay.  It seems likely that those particular buildings would have been approved by the MHZC, but that is just my own speculation. 

Aside from design/massing, I am aware that there was some degree of conflict between the neighbors and the builders/construction crew with regard to the construction activity itself.  Sometimes "build like you live next door" references work hours, parking, cleaning up the construction lot, and being a good neighbor.  How you build is sometimes as important as what you build.  But again, the comments that I heard in that category fall into the he said/she said realm.

Curious what people think of the two new construction homes built close to the intersection of 17th and Eastland? Not the duplex, but the 2 very large detached homes right behind the white colonial that fronts Eastland -- https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1821133,-86.7385836,3a,90y,267.14h,68.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOozwkfWkH2sItsW8rzFZgg!2e0!6m1!1e1

I personally think they're quite tasteful and very nice with substantial architectural details, but I saw a "Build like you live next door" sign right next door, which made me wonder what others thought of them and perhaps I was in the minority

I've seen worse but not a fan of these two houses....they stick out like sore thumbs in such a high profile/visible area and are too "pointy" and vertical...just my opinion. I guess high ceilings sell houses...

Edited by dmillsphoto

801 Main St.

801Main_zps6e1527a8.jpg

This lot is next door to Braden Memorial Church on Main Street close by the East Nashville Cooperative Ministry.  That's quite a contrast!  There is some question in East about whether or not this rendering represents a plan that has been approved by the MDHA Design Review committee for the redevelopment district design guidelines.  That's not a critique, just a question about the status of this project in that approval process.  John Root posts on here occasionally and may chime in on that if he wishes.  If I learn more, I will share.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

801 Main St.

801Main_zps6e1527a8.jpg

They are going to have a hell of a time with that lot, as it is basically a hole where a basement was before the Tornado of 1998. It like many lots along Main Street have been vacant ever since the tornado. I guess thee will be no room between the back of the building and the exterior church wall. If that lot is 15-20 feet wide, that is saying a lot.

I agree, It looks like stacked shipping containers, not homes.  

I agree at the stark contrast, but I'd rather have a modern structure that contrasts sharply with surrounding structures, but happens to have residents that support local businesses and add to the local fabric of East Nash than a vacant lot that does absolutely nothing. 

That's what I tell myself anyway. 

• Like 1

I agree, It looks like stacked shipping containers, not homes.  

Well, don't speak to soon!  Shipping containers-as-housing is a rising hipster trend as I understand it.  Michael Kenner was talking to me over the summer about putting a development of shipping-container homes somewhere in The Nations.  Why not East Nashville, too!

I agree that Main Street is exactly the right place for contemporary structures.  There are almost no historic structures remaining on Main Street anyway until you get to East High/Library.  Otherwise, it's just a well-worn bungalow or two.  One that used to house a bail bonding company and another that was a labor hall, if I remember correctly.  Church buildings are church buildings and don't blend in with anything else anyway.  Plus, Modern/contemporary structures are more likely to be accepted along Main Street than in the midst of historic neighborhoods, for example.  So that's the right place for them.

I will leave critiques of this particular proposal up to people who are more knowledgeable than I am about architecture.

• Like 2

Well, don't speak to soon!  Shipping containers-as-housing is a rising hipster trend as I understand it.  Michael Kenner was talking to me over the summer about putting a development of shipping-container homes somewhere in The Nations.  Why not East Nashville, too!

I agree that Main Street is exactly the right place for contemporary structures.  There are almost no historic structures remaining on Main Street anyway until you get to East High/Library.  Otherwise, it's just a well-worn bungalow or two.  One that used to house a bail bonding company and another that was a labor hall, if I remember correctly.  Church buildings are church buildings and don't blend in with anything else anyway.  Plus, Modern/contemporary structures are more likely to be accepted along Main Street than in the midst of historic neighborhoods, for example.  So that's the right place for them.

I will leave critiques of this particular proposal up to people who are more knowledgeable than I am about architecture.

I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but you can actually do some pretty interesting things with shipping containers:  http://www.homedsgn.com/2014/04/14/22-modern-shipping-container-homes-around-the-world/

• Like 2

I've wondered about the container home thing over here as well. Aside from the jeers from neighbors, what is keeping developers from putting these up on the East side? They can look nice and be built without the whole "shipping container on concrete" feel for what is probably a lower cost than some of the current homes going up.