Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Above all, Nashville sorely needs a much larger shift of priorities in terms of transit, walkability and means of getting around. However, I think we need to first address peoples' feelings and opinions of how this should take place. For instance, I spent a few days in Bellingham, WA several years ago and was astounded by how all traffic would legitimately STOP on a dime if you even hinted that you were about to use a crosswalk. I have never seen before or since such a pedestrian-minded community... Clearly, this type of mindset is possible, but it will take some serious effort.

True: there is a need in discourse on civic development to address public sentiment. But that, in no way, should mean that everybody's knee-jerk reactions get validated.

I wonder what the municipal laws say about pedestrian traffic in Bellingham. Those drivers may be more mindful of the stick (i.e. penalties) than the carrot (i.e. feeling like a pedestrian-conscious and, therefore, a good person).

That is joyously the case in Brussels, where a pedestrian crossing the street has the absolute right of way. Now, it helps that there are ample pedestrian crossings at more than just intersections. I mean, there are areas where pedestrian crossings function as veritable speed bumps! And, in no way, are Brusseleers/Brusselaar/Bruxellois drivers all happy to stop for you...but they certainly effin' do!

Edited by vinemp

Interesting to me the parallels between enthusiasm/criticism for the amp and the bike lanes.

You're right, there is an interesting synergy between those two.  Cliff would know better than anyone, but I think that the East Nashville anger about the Amp is that of all the things that Mayor Dean has pushed through, of course it would be the Amp that he has screwed up and probably lost.  The real disagreement about the Amp that I have heard from East Nashvillians is that it terminates at East High instead of further out Gallatin. 

• Like 3

Shout out to Brett Withers for his work to help get the duplex bill passed.  http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2014/09/09/metro-council-reins-duplex-heights-new-rules/15366755/  Any update on the contextual overlay?

The Contextual Overlay bill passed in August.  That was a huge amount of work and flew in the face of the real estate investor community, who are presently working on a misinformation campaign to try to convince neighborhoods not to use it.  I am anticipating that The Nations will be first in line to apply for one, followed by some of our East Nashville neighborhoods that don't quite qualify for Conservation Overlays.

The duplex bill itself was delayed forever by the real estate investor community, who kept wanting to add amendments to allow them more and more height.  The problem (for them) was the neighborhoods wanted stuff in return, such as the requirement that duplexes limit driveways to alleys where improved alleys are present, and to use a rear driveway when building on a corner.  But the investors threatened to sue Metro if the neighborhood-supported amendments were included, so the bill's sponsor passed the original bill.  Ironically, the builders themselves couldn't afford to delay the bill any longer to continue deliberating amendments.  They have bought parcels and can't get their duplex building permits until the bill passes.

Watch out, though, because the bill was amended to grandfather duplex building permits that had been filed but not yet released while the legislation was pending.  So there will likely be a TON of old-rule (including "umbilical") duplex permits released by Codes in the very near future and those will be valid for six months. 

It's like flushing a toilet:  the crap circles the bowl in a noisy and messy fashion before it finally goes down the drain.  The good news is that going forward, building permits for duplexes will have to follow the new height/width ratio restrictions.  Which is a small but important victory.

The bill's sponsor, CM Walter Hunt, stated from the floor that if the builders/developers are still interested in amending the bills, that they will need to gain consensus with the neighborhood leaders.  If and when such a consensus is reached, CM Hunt indicated that he would be happy to pass a new ordinance that further updates the zoning code text pertaining to duplexes.  He put the ball back in the neighborhoods' court.

One really interesting thing is that developers were frantically calling yesterday trying to bargain because they are worried about a large number of parcels that they own in The Nations and the height limits apparently are threatening their profitability.  They have not yet applied for their building permits, though, and so Metro Legal told them to get in line at the BZA office.

Edited by bwithers1

Posted this on East Nashville Google Groups as well...here's a new build on Chester Ave in South Inglewood (really close to the now infamous tall skinnies on Chapel). This is one of three they are putting up where two small houses stood before. Keep in mind this street has alley access. I like to call it the "Vibe Buster"...

^^^ street fronting garages despite alley access? That's an outrage!!!

Well, the developers were outraged that neighborhoods would want to require that they utilize alley access where improved alleys are present in exchange for allowing a little more height for their projects.  They ended up killing the amendment compromise over that "outrageous demand" from the neighborhoods.

And then I had a conversation with one of the real estate investor folks after the amendment proposal community meeting in which she stated that putting a bunch of concrete driveways in front actually improves the pedestrian safety on those streets and so we should be thanking them for doing that. 

There is a pretty severe disconnect between most citizens and this pretty small group of investors who are behind the worst of these projects. 

And this umbrage at vehicular-centered design isn't just an inner urban core sensibility.  Even the Green Hills Neighborhood Association is adamantly against the front-loading garages!

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Posted this on East Nashville Google Groups as well...here's a new build on Chester Ave in South Inglewood (really close to the now infamous tall skinnies on Chapel). This is one of three they are putting up where two small houses stood before. Keep in mind this street has alley access. I like to call it the "Vibe Buster"...

Gross.  This developer should stick to La Vergne where this kind of garbage is acceptable.

Here is the information on the W Eastland Project Brett has been telling us about.

From the Post

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2014/9/11/east_nashville_site_slated_for_40m_mixed_use_development

Damn paywall! Would someone please remind me which intersection this would reference?

Damn paywall! Would someone please remind me which intersection this would reference?

That project is proposed behind the southest corner of West Eastland and Gallatin.  Behind Pop (the old Miller's Clinic building).

Here is a link to the new plans for the Mac's Market gas station at the NEC of Gallatin Douglas in Eastwood. 

We had discussed on here recently the irony that that property was included in the 2007 expansion of Eastwood's Conservation Zoning Overlay.  Obviously, that's not an historic structure.  But it still gets reviewed by MHZC, albeit in a different light since it is a commercial corner that faces Gallatin and not the interior of the neighborhood.  Enjoy!  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%201305%20Gallatin%20Avenue.pdf

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Scratch that.  Wrong corner.  I looked up the permits for 322 S 16th, which is at the northwest corner of 16th/Boscobel.  The property owner is going before the Board of Zoning Appeals to seek a variance to construct two detached residential units on that parcel.  Presently, historic overlay design guidelines do not allow detached duplexes at all, and so property owners who want to do that must either subdivide the lot or go before the BZA for approval.  If the BZA grants approval on 09/18, then the applicant would have to have a hearing before the MHZC on the new construction project for the two houses and two carports that he wants to put there.  This month's MHZC hearing is on Wednesday, 09/17, the day before the BZA hearing, and so the earliest that the new construction project would be heard by the MHZC would be Wednesday, October 15th.

Add this to the list of things that Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association needs to track. 

Here is the MHZC staff report for 322 S 16th  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/09%2017%202014/SR%20322%20S%2016th%20Street.pdf.  I would be a little bit surprised if the Commissioners opt to render a decision on this one since the BZA will not yet have ruled whether or not to allow two detached units on this parcel.  But we will see. 

I got to meet the architect, Peggy Newman, at last month's MHZC hearing.  I am seeing an interesting pattern in which she utilizes car ports in quite a few of her proposals.  I think that these are pretty good and I am inclined to support the idea of two small detached houses on these lots that have such steep grade changes.  If we put one house or a fully-attached duplex on those lots, we're going to end up with pretty massive foundations showing no matter what we do.  Even if we utilize those walk-in basements for tuck-under garages.  So I think that two small houses are fine, but I will defer to LSNA.  These designs seem to honor the small Tudor-Crafstman heritage of that eastern part of Lockeland.

• Like 1

Saw that a few days ago. With the other development across the street, this could add some serious density along W. Eastland. There have been some traffic concerns among neighbors as that light at Gallatin Rd. is perhaps the most congested on the east side. I hope to see both of these built.

The "other development"?  Is it the one that some discussions here have mentioned w.r.t. getting the variance to build a parking structure behind the drugstore?  And that would go to the left in the overlay diagram? 

Edited by MLBrumby

The "other development"? Is it the one that some discussions here have mentioned w.r.t. getting the variance to build a parking structure behind the drugstore? And that would go to the left in the overlay diagram?

Correct. If you check the bottom of the above linked article, there is a link to the other development.

In short, directly behind Rite Aide is the proposed 65 unit development. Directly across from that (as linked above) is this 327 unit complex.

Let's be clear. These two projects would be massive together. We're talking about 400 units (400!!!) on what is currently a residential through street. All at the corner of Gallatin/w. Eastland, which is a clusterphuck of an intersection. There are bound to be headaches as a result. I know that many of the residents are concerned, but I'm not quite sure they quite understand the scale of this. If they do, I would expect a massive resistance to this, and I honestly wouldn't blame them.

That said. This is two developments on a scale we haven't yet seen on the East Side. While, I would love to see them actually front Gallatin Rd, they are essentially along a major thoroughfare, as high density should be. I like how the developer of the larger project seems to understand the need to transition into the neighborhood by putting the Townhomes along the west side of the apartment building, instead of just having a 5 floor building tower over a 1940's craftsman next door. This whole intersection could potentially see redevelopment as the "center" of East Nashville. I can envision the Aldo shopping center being completely redeveloped into a mixed use center along with this. I hope that Metro would be proactive with infrastructure upgrades to this corner, but we all know that Metro is never proactive.

I'm honestly not sure about the likelyhood of either of these being built, but either one (even the 65 units) will have a massive impact on the area.

• Like 2

Saw that a few days ago. With the other development across the street, this could add some serious density along W. Eastland. There have been some traffic concerns among neighbors as that light at Gallatin Rd. is perhaps the most congested on the east side. I hope to see both of these built.

I'd like to see these built, too.  I'd also love to see something new go in at 1119 Gallatin (at Greenwood).  Talk about a lot of underutilized land.

The gravel parking lot between The Hop Stop and Logue's Black Raven Emporium has been torn up.  I was told that the impending sale to Zaxby's has stalled due to them finding buried gas lines in that parking lot.  So, they're digging them up now and then they will resume attempts to sell the property.

To NashvilleWill's point, the Aldi shopping center is owned by H.G. Hill Realty. So is all of the land on the east side of Gallatin between Sharpe and Greenwood. I would predict that Gallatin/Greenwood would get the mixed-use development, because the five parcels in the rear are zoned residential. So I would think commercial/mixed use along Gallaton with a significant residential component transitioning into the neighborhood. Those residential parcels were left out of the Overlay, precisely to allow the type of project that we are seeing on West Eastland.

The Council public hearing for the 1035 West Eastland project (behind Rite Aid) and the Litton Ave Condos (120 or so) will be on Tursday, October 2nd, I believe.

Edited by bwithers1