Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Agreed.  That is a particularly lifeless stretch.  That tall, blank, block long TPAC wall coupled with the useless, empty plaza across the street creates such an exciting and stimulating atmosphere!!

I agree about TPAC, but I would argue that War Memorial Plaza is anything but useless.  Any given weekday when the weather is nice, the fountains are a  favorite lunch spot for lots of downtown workers and the plaza is a popular photo spot for tourists.  Not to mention its use for rallies and events like the Southern Festival of Books.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wasn't being sarcastic.  Maybe I'm making too big a stink over this, but that's just a huge pet peeve of mine.  Maybe in this case it's just a detail they left out of the rendering, or hell maybe I just missed it, and if that's the case then fair enough and I stand corrected, but putting the entrance in the rear of the building is actually something we see fairly often in Nashville.  The front is wherever the entrance is.  I mean, I'm no urban design expert, but to me that's just common sense.  One would find it a fairly odd and notable thing for a single family home to be built in East Nashville with it's back to the street, I think, but somehow when an entire apartment building is built that way many don't even bat an eye.

They have it built up to the street.  They got that part right.  But aside from being efficient with space and creating a street wall, the entire point of building up to the street is to encourage pedestrian activity and community development.   A street lined with buildings with their backs turned to the street is physically and psychologically not a particularly inviting environment for the pedestrian.  I'm not even suggesting that every individual residence have it's front door on the street, although in my opinion, that's preferable.  Just A DOOR, even if it's locked to the general public and accesses a stairwell, is better than nothing when it comes to making the public realm (the street) a more inviting place for pedestrians.  Imagine Hillsboro Village with nothing but rear entrances and blank walls with metal service doors fronting the street.  Charming, eh?   

Aside from all of that though, you also build up to the street simply to make it more convenient for pedestrians (or anyone who uses public transit) to access the structure by placing the primary entrance on the primary pedestrian thoroughfare.  It just seems to me that this building was designed without the pedestrian in mind, and in this neighborhood I would think the pedestrian should be the object of some consideration, is all I'm saying.

What developer is going to put retail immediately next door to a 5th and Main building that has had so many problems leasing out their space?

• Like 1

What developer is going to put retail immediately next door to a 5th and Main building that has had so many problems leasing out their space?

I'd wager businesses will start to do much better down there once the other building is built.

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 1

I agree about TPAC, but I would argue that War Memorial Plaza is anything but useless.  Any given weekday when the weather is nice, the fountains are a  favorite lunch spot for lots of downtown workers and the plaza is a popular photo spot for tourists.  Not to mention its use for rallies and events like the Southern Festival of Books.

Sorry, I should have clarified.  I was referring to the plaza that wraps around Nashville City Center. 

I never said anything about retail, as far as I know.  I agree that it would be a risky proposition, though it will get progressively less risky as people move nearby.  I just think the entrance should be on the street. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

I never said anything about retail, as far as I know.  I agree that it would be a risky proposition, though it will get progressively less risky as people move nearby.  I just think the entrance should be on the street. 

By the time this gets off the ground (whenever that may be), I'd bet there would be an entry on Main.  Lots of glass and stuff...would be nice if it was on the 5th and Main corner as to direct residents to Field House and Vine.

• Like 3

We got an update on the Hobson Church site development plan at the Eastwood Neighbors meeting tonight.  Here is a summary:

Clay Haynes of Oak Tree Properties and Michael Garrigan, civil engineer with Dale and Associates, discussed their thoughts on the 3.275 acre Hobson Church property that they are developing and asked for neighborhood input:

-Nick Dryden of Dade will be architect

-So far have stabilized property, cleaned up, and removed asbestos

-Concept is mixed use with “respectful” infill (no set number of homes yet, but will be less than half in last developer’s proposal of 46).

-All three historic buildings will remain

-Focus on keeping large shade trees

-Prefer to keep sanctuary and schoolhouse building open to the public rather than condos

-Will improve street parking and sidewalks

-Intend to improve greenspace on Chapel and in front of sanctuary

-Will have adequate parking on site so not to push parking onto other streets

-No night clubs

-Asked for input from neighbors.  They want:

-Traffic T to keep traffic off Roberts (though concern that this will push even more traffic onto Greenwood)

-Uses like child care, office space like 615, limited retail like a coffee shop.  Casa Azafran was given as an example of a mixed use facility that doesn’t require too much traffic.

-Skate park or other kind of recreational use.

-A labyrinth

Neighbors don’t want tall-skinny units or townhomes; prefer craftsman style cottages (Brett noted that Metro Historic will have to approve any designs and they must fit our overlay).

Next step: Clay, Michael, and Nick will put some ideas on paper and bring them for Eastwood feedback in a month or so.  Earliest construction could start would be 9 months.

• Like 2

Thanks for the summary, Cliff. 

I have to admit I don't understand the objection that neighbors expressed to the presence of townhomes on the site.  When economics dictate a need to situate some density into a relatively small area along a horizontal axis - I am speaking here of the back portion of the property - the solution that immediately comes to mind is townhomes/rowhomes.  The Eastwood Neighborhood CZO Design Guidelines would prevent buildings with flat roofs from being placed along the Greenwood/Chapel faces of the property, because there are no historic residential buildings in Eastwood that have flat roofs, but what's the opposition to having townhomes/rowhomes line the rear of the property? 

As I pointed out last night, our land values in Eastwood have risen so dramatically that there are very few permits being pulled for single-family homes these last 5-6 months.  And that's on lots where a developer just has to pull a $5,000 demo job in order to make the site ready for building a duplex.  Granted, our design guidelines require that the duplexes be fully attached, look like one structure, and be sized appropriately for context. So the new houses "look like" one house.  But there are still two sellable units there.

But in this case, the developer paid 7 figures for the site and will probably end up putting in another 7 figures on the restoration of the historic structures.  If he only builds a few craftsfman-style single-family homes in the rear of this property, they would have to command perhaps over $700K each in order for him to recoup his costs.  Otherwise, the numbers simply don't work.  And that is a little bit above comps for Eastwood even for new construction.  The comments about affordable housing were well intentioned but would be extremely difficult to execute absent significant density or absent federal or non-profit funding to offset costs.

More discussion is needed on this one.  

Edited by bwithers1

I agree. I don't have an issue with town homes either, especially along the rear of the property.  I think the concern is any density among some folks-which I'm afraid they are just going to have to get over, and aesthetics among other folks-which shouldn't be an issue with the design guidelines we have in place.

I just got back from today's MHZC hearing, where I spoke in favor of two projects were approved by the Historic Zoning Commission after considerable prior neighborhood negotiation with the applicants.

First is 2002 Eastland.  This is the site of a non-contributing house that straddles two 30-foot-wide lots.  This land is zoned MUN-A, and the applicant is working on two houses that would have commercial space downstairs with living space upstairs.  The Eastwood and Lockeland Springs neighborhoods expressed opposition to the earlier iterations of this project citing overall proportionality (relatively tall/skinny) that would have contrasted with the historic context.  This is the second revision, but the applicant has worked with us to make the buildings shorter/wider to blend in better with the neighboring bungalows on Eastland opposite Scott Ave.  I like the upstairs balconies.  The Commissioners approved this version http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/10-%20October%2015/SR%202002%20Eastland%20Avenue%20-%20Oct.pdf at today's hearing. 

Second is 207-209 Gentry.  This project is located between Scott Ave and Porter Road about one block north of Eastland in a little-known corner of Eastwood.  This proposal was originally for 15 dwelling units on this 1-acre site, but the neighbors objected to that amount of density having all of its access/egress from an alley.  The revised project is for a total of 10 units:  one restored/renovated historic house and three new construction homes facing Gentry, each of which will have a traditional design but a very contemporary garage unit that will also have upstairs conditioned living space (but not an apartment), as well as six very contemporary laneway homes opposite the garages flanking either side of a private drive that has access off of the alley.  This is a pretty cool project that has taken well over a year and countless formal and small-group neighborhood meetings to gel.  The Commissioners also approved this version http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/10-%20October%2015/SR%20207%20Gentry%20Avenue.pdf of the project at today's hearing. 

• Like 1

Woof.  If you can only muster 65 individuals to sign a petition in East Nashville, the public is not on your side.

Nashville Post Article from WW

My advice to Ashley Dugger is to not violate zoning ordinances in East Nashville.

Many of us who attended the MDHA community meeting(s) on this issue would be interested to see those signatures and what home or at least work addresses they list.  In the past, some of the realtors have banded together to help each other out to get zone changes done for their projects regardless of what the actual neighbors think.

In additions to violations of zoning ordinances, the information that came to light at the last MDHA community meeting is that Ms. Dugger's project includes Codes violations because commercial renovations have different inspections than residential renovations.

Many of us who attended the MDHA community meeting(s) on this issue would be interested to see those signatures and what home or at least work addresses they list.  In the past, some of the realtors have banded together to help each other out to get zone changes done for their projects regardless of what the actual neighbors think.

In additions to violations of zoning ordinances, the information that came to light at the last MDHA community meeting is that Ms. Dugger's project includes Codes violations because commercial renovations have different inspections than residential renovations.

I think codes should step in and say she's free to stay provided that she renovate under the original commercial obligations including ADA compatibility.

I think codes should step in and say she's free to stay provided that she renovate under the original commercial obligations including ADA compatibility.

I am told that this process could potentially mean tearing some things out and starting over if the original permits that were pulled for for residential, not commercial grade renovation work. Indeed, the permit was pulled for residential work on 02/04/13.  The codes history gets complicated after that.  It looks like a warrant was served on 01/6/14 and there have been several Environmental Court dates, the most recent of which was 10/10/14.

Edited by bwithers1

Quick update:  I attended last night's Rosebank Neighbors meeting and there was a presentation by representatives of Oman-Gibson Associates (OGA) about a proposal for Fresenius Medical Care to relocate their dialysis clinic from 604 Gallatin Ave to the former Piggly Wiggly at Riverside/Rosebank.  They would renovate the existing building extensively on the interior, with some work on the exterior as well.  This proposal is up for a BZA hearing on 11/6 because the current Piggly Wiggly retail use is actually nonconforming:  that building sits on two parcels, with the front parcel (the parking lot) having commercial zoning while the back lot (most of the grocery store building) is zoned residential. The BZA hearing is needed to continue non-conforming commercial use on that back residential lot.

The presenting team noted that they have outgrown their current space at 604 Gallatin (the same building as Smoker's Abbey et al) due to what is now a lack of parking.  The Piggly Wiggly site has plenty of parking.  A plus for the neighborhood is that the clinic would primarily serve patients who already live in the 37206 Zip Code, and that most of them get dropped off at the clinic.  So there would not be a ton of traffic attracted to the site. 

One side note that I would point out is that neighbor objections to the 11-unit townhome project at the same intersection (Waters and Riverside) cited a lack of guest parking.  So it seems that the Piggly Wiggly parking lot would remain available for guest or overflow parking as the other parcels in that Neighborhood Center redevelop.

I am inclined to support this plan.  It's not anything sexy like a Trader Joe's, but it is a good reuse of a perfectly good building that will have minimal traffic impact and will serve a very real need of some of our neighbors.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

My partner's parents owned that business before Dino, starting in the late 1960s, I believe.  That's how long that has been a beer/burger joint.  He has a polaroid that was taken of him sitting in one of the booths circa 1974 with a very, um, vintage hairdo. 

His father was a cabinet maker and had a wood-working shop on the south side of Main Street near McFerrin in a building that is now an auto-repair place.  His mother worked at Genesco Shoe Factory where 5th/Main is today.  They operated a bar and grill as a side business on Main Street closer to where Worm's Way is, and then that closed and they opened the one that is today Dino's and ultimately sold that business to Dino.  At least that is the history that I am told.  My dates are approximations.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

The LIV Development project at 1034 West Eastland (Sophia's Heart) is going to be deferred from the 10/23 until the 11/12 MPC hearing unless reports are available from all Metro reviewing agencies.  That could put the Council public hearing back to December. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a major deferral. 

Edited by bwithers1

1000 Gallatin Ave, close to Dog Spot (Today's Fashion Mart) has windows covered and appears to be undergoing an interior renovation...not sure if it is slated for new tenants or not? 

The Baker Brothers apparently own that building as well. One of the brothers posted on the East Nashville Facebook page recently that they are seeking to lease to new tenants.

• Like 2