Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I missed this update on Dino's the other day.  Looks like Miranda Whitcomb Pontes of Burger Up, Josephine, etc. has bought the building but may be keeping Dino's there in some form.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2014/10/18/update-miranda-whitcomb-pontes-behind-the-changes-at-dinos

Driving down Gallatin Rd today and noticed in the building that has been hosting East Nashville Underground (or former "Matty's Alley") is "Hail Dark Aesthetics" looks like a curio shop. And also a new sign today - "East Side Live". This looks promising, a neat event space. I would like to see this area activate as a little destination. It's right down the road from the proposed Oasis Market. foobar's been around there for like 7 years or so.There is some building stock nearby that's promising.

• Like 1

I saw that the other day too.  Wasn't that 'The East Room' for a while? 

Also, Pizza Dudes is awful.  Had a slice from them a few years ago and it was cold and bland.

Lots of progress at the new Sip Cafe, they've dry walled it and there are always trucks there when I pass by.  I bought something at OMG today and got a coffee at the Sip truck, asked if they knew when it would be ready but the worker did not know.  They originally said late Oct but I'll say early December.

A whole bunch of stuff got approved on 2nd reading after their public hearings at last night's Council meeting:

• 1032 Maynor, 6-unit affordable townhome development just west of Gallatin (Maynor Place neighborhood just north of Trinity - District 5 - CM Scott Davis)
  • Litton Ave Condo project, 130 units, many affordable, just east of Gallatin (South Inglewood - District 7 - CM Anthony Davis)
  • Core Development project on Chester just east of Gallatin right behind the Walgreens (South Inglewood - District 7 - CM Anthony Davis)
  • 1121-25 Chester Ave 16-unit cottage development, Woodland Grove, by Woodland Street Partners (South Inglewood - District 7 - CM Anthony Davis)
  • 1223 N 6th/Douglas (Cleveland Park - District 5 - CM Scott Davis).  There was community objection to this townhome project, which has already been reduced from 4 to 3 units at the SEC of 6th/Douglas.  CM Scott Davis requested Council approval of the zone change on 2nd so that the applicant can bring forward an accompanying SP.
  • 1035 West Eastland, 65 units just west of Gallatin behind the Rite Aid (Greenwood neighborhood - District 5 - CM Scott Davis)

All of these items save for the 1223 N 6th/Douglas one were approved on 3rd reading at last night's Council hearing.   Dale & Associates plans to come back with an SP for that one rather than a straight rezoning.

Of note, 1034 West Eastland, the 300+ unit project across from the 1035 West Eastland project, appears to be back on track for tomorrow's MPC hearing.

My guess that this rise is rent is not going to elicit the same response that Ben Folds generated with Studio A. Surrounded by likewise brown fields in an industrial area, the highest and best use argument might be hard to prove right now. A play to get dialogue started for a possible sale with the other leasers to force PSC's hand?

Edited by TnNative

1034 West Eastland (the 300+ unit one where Sophia's Heart is located today) was approved by the Planning Commissioners at yesterday's hearing.  The SP proposal to allow DADUs ('mother-in-law apartments') in Cleveland Park and McFerrin Park was also approved.  More or less, CM Scott Davis is putting in an SP to allow the DADUs despite the single-family residential base zoning for that area.  Essentially, he is using the SP tool as a UDO since Planning staff will not do an actual UDO.  I spoke in favor of both of these items.  Some of the long-time residents spoke in opposition, including former D5 CM Pam Murray.  Others spoke in favor and the commissioners approved the plans.

I got chewed out by one of those long-time residents in the parking lot after the MPC hearing.  The lady asked me politely to "stay in my district and out of District 5" and to stop bringing Chicago/New York ideas and trying to push them on Nashville.  Her belief is that density causes crime.  As much as I might disagree with that assessment, I have to respect the fact that many of those long-time neighbors lived through decades of high crime that was aggaravated by having those houses cut up into apartments that were not well managed.  That kind of "bad" density was precisely what led CM Pam Murray to downzone the area in the first place about a decade ago.  I have to respect that this person is very educated and is speaking from life experience and no amount of "but it works in Chicago" is going to change that.  So we left with a respectful "agree to disagree" handshake.

• Like 4

The parking lot for the hardware store in 5 points has been turned into a pay-to-park lot.

The mexican place at Hunters Meadow Ln and Gallatin will be closing.  Apparently there is an owner/tenant disagreement where the owner kicked the tenant out.  They said they are looking to move to a couple places close-by, one of which is the old Mrs Winners next to Sonic, just down the street.

The CookOut in Inglewood is basically complete.  I could see inside earlier today and they appear to have everything setup.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them open any day now.

A back hoe and bulldozer have moved back to the empty lot at the corner of Riverwood and Gallatin.  Interested to see what goes there.

There is an 8-unit townhome development going in at 1106 Stratford Ave behind the QuickSak and across from the Bank of America in Inglewood.  I saw the permits come through this morning for 8 units at 1106 Stratford.  That's the little craftsman bungalow that was bulldozed recently.  I hate to see a contributing structure demolished, but at least this is a good project for the area.  The zoning on that parcel was OR20, so there was no rezoning or SP required.  The architect is John Root, who often likes to do modern, but in this case is doing a very traditional project.  Avenue Construction is the builder, and they do a good job. 

Here is a rendering per Zillow http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1106-Stratford-Ave-Nashville-TN-37216/41076853_zpid/ That is a traditional parcel, meaning that it is long and narrow, so it looks like there will be one driveway access to Stratford and the townhomes will be arranged north-to-south along the length of that parcel with one unit having frontage along Stratford Ave.  I'm not crazy about the parking arrangements, being in front of these units rather than a rear garage, but I have seen a lot worse.

Edited by bwithers1

I found a demo permit for 401 N 17TH ST NASHVILLE, but does anyone know what is going to be built? Very large corner lot...looks like they started moving dirt this weekend, was demo'd a while ago...

previous structure: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1797578,-86.7392949,3a,75y,292.59h,76.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPriKDopGJZFXonzwjTzY_g!2e0

permit: https://permits.nashville.gov/kivanet/2/permit/summary/index.cfm?pid=1966138&jur=NASH

I found a demo permit for 401 N 17TH ST NASHVILLE, but does anyone know what is going to be built? Very large corner lot...looks like they started moving dirt this weekend, was demo'd a while ago...

previous structure: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1797578,-86.7392949,3a,75y,292.59h,76.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPriKDopGJZFXonzwjTzY_g!2e0

permit: https://permits.nashville.gov/kivanet/2/permit/summary/index.cfm?pid=1966138&jur=NASH

If I recall correctly, it is going to be 3 houses.  That demolition permit was pulled just before Lockeland Springs northern CZO expansion went into pending status.  The Overlay stopped at the south side of Ordway, and that's why so much craziness started appearing in the area between Ordway and Eastland that prompted the neighbors to sign on to expand the Overlay the rest of the way up to Eastland earlier this year.

There was an historic house there that was demolished on a Sunday.  The building permits were also pulled prior to the Overlay being in effect, and so those structures will not have to conform to the design guidelines.  The developer basically reestablished the original lot lines:  401 N 17th Street sat in the middle of what were originally 3 30-foot lots.  So by right the developer could construct one single-family home per 30-foot lot.  These will most likely be somewhat skinny.

Edited by bwithers1

6th and Main starting November 1st with erosion barriers going up next week. The island will be removed and we will lose two lanes thus making a 4 lane entrance/exit into 2 lanes only. It's going to be a cluster for 14-18 months but will be worth it.

Field House is doing well and The Vine has opened. Our small retail space fronting Main should be occupied by Condominium Concepts Corporation at some point, but no movement yet.

Work on the Allite Glass Building is well underway for a restaurant/bar.

Little Italy has closed behind Bolton's Hot Chicken.

Koi is doing a booming business while Cojina Mexicana seems to have tapered off a bit.

The lot next to Braeden United Methodist Church is still for sale. Supposedly town homes are going on the lot.

Amplify on Main is open as is 715 Woodland.

The Turnip Truck is moving down the street on Woodland, but a site has not been announced yet.

The Local Taco is still not open yet.

That's all for now.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 2

6th and Main starting November 1st with erosion barriers going up next week. The island will be removed and we will lose two lanes thus making a 4 lane entrance/exit into 2 lanes only. It's going to be a cluster for 14-18 months but will be worth it.

What!? Don't they need some sort of approval from their neighbors to so dramatically alter our entrance? Also, it seems like the extra space would be necessary for both sides given the additional traffic it will need to support for this new development.

Seems quite odd, if you ask me. I rather enjoyed our entrance, anyway.

What!? Don't they need some sort of approval from their neighbors to so dramatically alter our entrance? Also, it seems like the extra space would be necessary for both sides given the additional traffic it will need to support for this new development.

Seems quite odd, if you ask me. I rather enjoyed our entrance, anyway.

Getting out of the area is already a nightmare.  Can't imagine what 200 some odd apartment additions is going to do to Yeaman Place.