Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The more and more I see Main Street, the more it is starting to remind me of S. Congress in Austin. Once the Station East project is built, the similarities will really be evident as there is a grouping of high-rises on the South Bank of Lady Bird Lake in Austin just off of SoCo, but the Station East will bury those buildings. The other big difference is that in Austin there is a park all along their south bank which limits the downtown from stepping across the river.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

A bit more info on the potential hotel project at 701-707 Main St:

Omega Hotel Group (which owns 14 hotel, including Holiday Inn Express in MetroCenter and Hyatt Place near the airport) hopes to acquire properties at which are located two empty buildings. The structures previously housed a Subway and a UPS Store, among other businesses, that were heavily damaged in the March 2020 tornado.

The Hasty family plumbing business has owned the property since 1972.  In early 2021, the property was offered for sale for $6 million. However, updated marketing materials note $8 million.

No word y et on what the final sale price will be, nor the size and brand of the hotel being considered.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hotel-developer-looks-to-buy-east-nashville-property/article_b9c6b0ea-2a65-11ee-aa77-c38449a019a5.html#tncms-source=login

701-707 Main St Hotel, July 24, 2023, site.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of he frame:

1796168103_701-707MainStHotelJuly242023sitemap.png

For the zoning/planning gurus (and councilmember) on this board, between the UDO, UZO, and MDHA that all apply to the lots, what tools does the city have to make sure this hotel development turns out more like Waymore (formerly Fieldhouse Jones) and less like 941 Main (building formerly known as Bridal Suites)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andywildman said:

For the zoning/planning gurus (and councilmember) on this board, between the UDO, UZO, and MDHA that all apply to the lots, what tools does the city have to make sure this hotel development turns out more like Waymore (formerly Fieldhouse Jones) and less like 941 Main (building formerly known as Bridal Suites)?

I'd have to dig into the documents, but I am pretty sure both projects you referenced were done as "by-right", which means that both are possibilities. MDHA would have the most say I believe with materiality and massing limits that are stricter than the other two documents. 

I believe the biggest issue with the Bridal Suites from an execution standpoint was the way the building sat at the sidewalk and the backflow preventer (water piping at the KOI end of the building). It's possible that Bridal went through BZA for things, but I am not sure on the history.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2023 at 10:52 AM, Bos2Nash said:

I'd have to dig into the documents, but I am pretty sure both projects you referenced were done as "by-right", which means that both are possibilities. MDHA would have the most say I believe with materiality and massing limits that are stricter than the other two documents. 

I believe the biggest issue with the Bridal Suites from an execution standpoint was the way the building sat at the sidewalk and the backflow preventer (water piping at the KOI end of the building). It's possible that Bridal went through BZA for things, but I am not sure on the history.

The thing that irks me about the Bridal Suites is how it would be instantly better with a different paint color, better landscaping and cool branding. It wouldn't even be that expensive to improve it from being a total eyesore!!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2023 at 4:00 PM, markhollin said:

National HealthCare Corp. will develop a multi-family residential complex at 4214 Central Pike in Hermitage  t hat will be made of of six 3-4 story structures on 14 acres.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/08/04/deal-dash-hotel-converted-to-affordable-housing.html

This is an amendment to an SP put into place all the way back in 2014! Site Plan from the Development Tracker. The Dev Tracker calls Flournoy Development Group as the developer (maybe an affiliated company to National HealthCare Corp?). Dynamik Design out of Atlanta appears to be the architect involved with the project. 

image.thumb.png.e041c4f08c2b86c542c2fbb26d9c6f56.png

Site Info per the Cover Sheet.

image.png.989e3d73b1785713ccbba67eba652228.png

A 1.45 Parking-to-Unit Ratio is being provided.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

Concur.  And that was even with a MDHA Design Review Committee permit.

In 2025 the East Bank Redevelopment District expires, leaving only the Gallatin Road UDO in place, which makes even the “urban” building placement and glazing requirements in the base zoning voluntary. This UDO was put in place after a court threw out the former Gallatin Road Improvement Plan SP that had placed urban requirements on building permits in the pre-Nashville Next days. A property owner sued Metro over that and this UDO making urban requirements “voluntary” was the result.

Canceling or replacing that UDO would require outreach to all of the affected property owners, and it would essentially be adding restrictions back onto to their properties, albeit just the -A district base zoning requirements. Unless, of course, there was an effort to add new requirements. The UDO question would be complicated, and may be impacted by the nature of the prior lawsuit that threw out the previous SP.

Something all the "throw out zoning" urbanists should keep in mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1